PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgardes for Cummins 4.5???

Janno
1st October 2022, 05:36 PM
The patrol (GUIII Y61 2002) is booked for Cummins 4.5 conversion in April 23, what's peoples thoughts on brake upgrades? Hydro-boost or aftermarket upgrades etc....

It's set up to be a tourer / caravan / boat

FYI i have no idea hence the question hehehehe....

Cheers Janno

PeeBee
1st October 2022, 06:37 PM
I went the Willwood brake upgrade path. It gives 6 piston calipers on the front and 4 on the rear. You need to upgrade the master and booster as well for best effect. Its a complete kit, operating at 'normal' pressures. The Hydroboost offer a good upgrade as well, in my mind a bit more complicated, but they stop really well with higher clamp pressures. I went the Willwood as wanted to not be burning through pads as can happen with the Hydrobooster if you start standing on it really hard. I find the Willwoods are fine, you must run at least a 17" rim though. The kit ends up being twice that of the hydroboost so a bit to think about. There are a couple of guys running the Hydroboost on here, maybe they will chime in, also some who have gone the TB48 route.

MB
2nd October 2022, 12:27 AM
It's set up to be a tourer / caravan / boat

FYI i have no idea hence the question hehehehe....

Cheers Janno

G’day Janno Mate,
Apologies for the snippet cut&paste above.
Only my nuffy opinion but please do discuss full and final usage needs with your engineer to achieve not only little Cummins donk transfer but your overall GCM ( Gross Combined Mass) future towing needs [emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cremulator
2nd October 2022, 07:48 AM
I put the Marks hydraulic brake booster on my GU III 2004 TD42Ti earlier this year.
My thinking was to do the booster first, then if it required it, I could upgrade rotors and pads.
The improvement with just the hydraulic brake booster was significant, it's really impressive, and I haven't felt the need to change the factory rotors/pads I have on there.
I'm running 285/75R16 tyres.

jff45
2nd October 2022, 08:58 AM
I initially went with slotted DBA rotors and those grossly overpriced ECB Yellowstuff pads but still wasn't happy so I did the hydroboost and now I'm much more confident following others a little more closely so I don't get the usual slalomers cutting in front of me. Also, at 77, I don't have the same reflexes so the hydroboost helps there as well.

If your budget allows, why not do the Cummins, Wilwood and hydroboost upgrades together?

In for a penny...

PeeBee
2nd October 2022, 09:33 AM
I initially went with slotted DBA rotors and those grossly overpriced ECB Yellowstuff pads but still wasn't happy so I did the hydroboost and now I'm much more confident following others a little more closely so I don't get the usual slalomers cutting in front of me. Also, at 77, I don't have the same reflexes so the hydroboost helps there as well.

If your budget allows, why not do the Cummins, Wilwood and hydroboost upgrades together?

In for a penny...

Now that would be a combo for sure!

Janno
4th October 2022, 05:43 PM
Thanks, good advise. Gold Coast Patrols are doing the conversion. They have only done QLD 4.5 Cummins although he uses another certifier for NSW. I will try and chat with him directly. Only needed a hydra boost for QLD.

Janno

Janno
4th October 2022, 06:13 PM
thanks John, but budget is blown with the Cummins hehehehe :smileyvault-cute-bi

BrazilianY60
4th October 2022, 10:22 PM

I recon the OP could execute some front flip maneuvers with that.

MB
5th October 2022, 08:16 PM
Thanks, good advise. Gold Coast Patrols are doing the conversion. They have only done QLD 4.5 Cummins although he uses another certifier for NSW. I will try and chat with him directly. Only needed a hydra boost for QLD.

Janno

Agreed pissed, it would suck Massive Dick to be told an upgrade (heavier front end) is un achievable in Straya :-(….downgraded to the likes of a TD42T (workable) manual 3.5T rear barn door VIN sticker [emoji23][emoji736][emoji106][emoji106]

MB
5th October 2022, 08:32 PM
thanks John, but budget is blown with the Cummins hehehehe :smileyvault-cute-bi

Rattling on 3/4 cut Janno Mate. Are you 100% sure the loss of off-road down travel ( sump punching) with a talllll torque litre Cummins conversion is the go? [emoji120][emoji120]