PDA

View Full Version : How much oil

GeeeWizz
26th September 2022, 04:18 PM
Hello from Tasmania, I am looking for some assistance. My 10/1998 Manual Nissan Patrol GQ TD42 requires an oil change and my question is how much oil is required including replacing the two oil filters. Some would call me a dumb-ass but when I lived in QLD I had all this and much more information written on my garage wall and with the patrol now relegated to second in line with my daily driver being a small SUV for my mother's comfort and convenience (to get her to and from her many doctors appointments) my memory is lacking in these required details.
I have managed to get by without a need of a manual due to friends having said same model as well as the bookwork handy to source any information we needed, but now I live in Tassie that option like the old garage wall are now not available.
Thankyou
GeeeWizz

Cuppa
26th September 2022, 05:58 PM
Assuming the same as my '06 GU TD42i - 10.5 litres - designer should've been shot!

mudnut
26th September 2022, 06:02 PM
Download a manual from this forum.

BrazilianY60
26th September 2022, 11:43 PM
Assuming the same as my '06 GU TD42i - 10.5 litres - designer should've been shot!

For the huge amount of oil or for leaving you with a opened half bottle?

:smile:

GeeeWizz
27th September 2022, 12:40 AM
Cheers mate and thanks for your time and reply, so somebody local said 8.2 and you say 10.5 so bugger me I am still non the wiser so a manual download just may be my answer.

GeeeWizz
27th September 2022, 12:43 AM
OMG, thanks for the advice. I will relook at the download manual option but last time I looked that option was locked out.

BrazilianY60
27th September 2022, 04:33 AM
Be aware that the download is a one page PDF file and inside that PDF there is the actual link for the manual. Easy peasy.

GeeeWizz
27th September 2022, 01:50 PM
Let's go look at this PDF file thingy.

mudski
27th September 2022, 03:40 PM

More for leaving us with 9.5L from a 20L tin.

GeeeWizz
27th September 2022, 05:24 PM
Ok now I am worried, I asked for some help with oil volume so I could do an oil change. I had a reply of 9.2 Liters and another to download a manual so I did both. And the manual stated 8 Liters for a change with no new filters and 9.2 Liters with the new filters.
Well the 9.2 was right if it included the replacement of both filters, and that is what I did two new filters and 9.2 liters of new oil but my problem is the new oil level after sitting an hour is equal to the LOW level mark on the dipstick. Yes the vehicle was on level ground and the engine was warmed up too. Any ideas on what I need to do now.

mihit
27th September 2022, 05:28 PM
I buy oil by the 44gal. Generally they'll soak up 10litres plus a litre of moreys. That's 2x "Z9" or "C112" filter which are bigger than some people run (???)

Change oil. Run, check, if it needs more, add it?

Cuppa
27th September 2022, 05:40 PM

When on the road full time buying a 20 litre drum is not practical, no room to carry it. So 10 litre plus 1litre. Cost of 10 litres of my favoured oil (Penrite semi Synthetic HPR 15w50) varies between $80 to $100 depending upon whether it's on 'special' at the time I need it. 1 litre bottles never go on 'special' & cost between $16 & $20. Once, just once a kindly salesman in a national auto store branch let me have the 1 litre at the same price per litre as the 10 litre drum I was also buying.

MB
27th September 2022, 09:23 PM
My 1995 TD42 utes engine confirming also takes 10.5L geeWizz Mate.
Call me crazy, which I’ll accept as true, even built my rock sliders to carry 11L of gear oil left & 11L of engine oil right in case of unfortunate box/sump punctures[emoji22]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/09/74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
27th September 2022, 09:41 PM
FWIW: Have trialled several big name brands of oil out there on the old ageing TD42 (now currently under rebuild) and have settled on Penrites 15W50 Semi Synthetic after Cuppa Mates and Others proven advice [emoji106][emoji106]

MB
27th September 2022, 09:57 PM
FWIW2: Penrites 20w/60 old school mineral oil was my found first favourite originally but getting very hard to source working across Australia. Once I read Legends advice here for the Semi Synthetic, never looked back for Nissan TD’s [emoji106][emoji106]
BTW: Only in my Nuffy old donks experience/opinion, Rimula X variants have gone down hill along with Valvoline, even our old yard but faithfully tight trucks are chewing through them once faithful barrels, is it a thinning out/detergent compliance thing? [emoji22]

MB
27th September 2022, 10:05 PM
Almost forgot, my/our vintages TD42 owners manual IIRC from Mr Nissan himself calls for a 20W50 which NOBODY manufactures now? [emoji23]

MB
27th September 2022, 10:18 PM
I buy oil by the 44gal. Generally they'll soak up 10litres plus a litre of moreys. That's 2x "Z9" or "C112" filter which are bigger than some people run (???)

Change oil. Run, check, if it needs more, add it?

Legend mihit Mate[emoji106][emoji106]
Penrites 20W60 was about the near same Honey [emoji518] consistency for buggered rings needs at say a 10:1 Valvoline/Shell- Moreys thickening, how much is a 1L one these days in NZ Brother[emoji120][emoji120]

GeeeWizz
28th September 2022, 02:29 AM
My 1995 TD42 utes engine confirming also takes 10.5L geeWizz Mate.
Call me crazy, which I’ll accept as true, even built my rock sliders to carry 11L of gear oil left & 11L of engine oil right in case of unfortunate box/sump punctures[emoji22]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/09/74.jpg

Ok well let's see what another 1.3 Liters do with the dipstick just past low now, will post results when done.

GeeeWizz
28th September 2022, 12:16 PM
Big thanks to all who added their input to my request, I forgot to mention I used the RYCO Z115 filters as mihit mentioned some filters are bigger than others, also I had a PM wondering if the dipstick may not be OEM and I can honestly state this is the original that has served me for the 18 years plus that I have owned this vehicle. Also I have done previous DIY oil changes on this vehicle many times but my reference material for this task was written on my last residence garage wall and I don't have access to that information any more.
At this point I now have 10.5 Liters in the old girl and now the dipstick reads just over 3/4's full, I am going to leave it at that for now and see how things go but at least I feel more comfortable knowing the engine will not be starved of lubrication.

mihit
28th September 2022, 12:24 PM
Legend mihit Mate[emoji106][emoji106]
Penrites 20W60 was about the near same Honey [emoji518] consistency for buggered rings needs at say a 10:1 Valvoline/Shell- Moreys thickening, how much is a 1L one these days in NZ Brother[emoji120][emoji120]

I don't even look, these engines just get what they need.

$30 retail. Lucas product at $35. I probably get a bit cheaper through account.

Gulf western 15/40 here. We generally don't see temps as high as yous fullas and I live in the tropical upper north.

mihit
28th September 2022, 06:14 PM
When on the road full time buying a 20 litre drum is not practical, no room to carry it. So 10 litre plus 1litre. Cost of 10 litres of my favoured oil (Penrite semi Synthetic HPR 15w50) varies between $80 to $100 depending upon whether it's on 'special' at the time I need it. 1 litre bottles never go on 'special' & cost between $16 & $20. Once, just once a kindly salesman in a national auto store branch let me have the 1 litre at the same price per litre as the 10 litre drum I was also buying.

Stop in at a reputable garage? (If such things exist) and they should siphon you off enough for cost and maybe a 6pack of VB?
(Or XXXX or Fosters I suppose, depending)

mihit
28th September 2022, 06:22 PM
At this point I now have 10.5 Liters in the old girl and now the dipstick reads just over 3/4's full, I am going to leave it at that for now and see how things go but at least I feel more comfortable knowing the engine will not be starved of lubrication.

Better more oil than less.
There's approximately fuckall chance these engine will piston slap oil/ foam up unless you have seriously overdone it.
I don't know quite the amount, but probably over 16 litres.
They're long-stroke diesels. Over-full on the dipstick is well within "she'll be right mate"

*Take this advice for exactly what it cost you. I am not responsible for you sploding your engine.
(Though if you do, please let us know how much oil, for future generation's sake)

Hodge
29th September 2022, 08:19 AM
Half-yearly 5k service makes you oblivious to engine oil prices shooting up alongside weekly rape at the diesel pump.
$110 for 20L of RX back in April (Repco special). Seems now it's $160+ ON SPECIAL.
Oh well, gotta stop looking at the numbers. Car needs oils, car gets oils. :beer:

I miss the old $90 for 20L Delo 400 days !! Was the best oil for my TD as well...

MudRunnerTD
29th September 2022, 09:16 AM
Yeah i buy 20lt RC when on special and have a couple here. When I had 2 TDs it was worth bulking.

It is about 10lt give or take which is basically this whole thread!! Lol.

I decant out of the 20lt into a 5lt to then put in the car just to save handling a 20lt above the motor. I change both Oil and the fuel filter at every service.

mihit
29th September 2022, 02:29 PM
Yeah i buy 20lt RC when on special and have a couple here. When I had 2 TDs it was worth bulking.

It is about 10lt give or take which is basically this whole thread!! Lol.

I decant out of the 20lt into a 5lt to then put in the car just to save handling a 20lt above the motor. I change both Oil and the fuel filter at every service.

That seems a bit excessive but i have heard that there's a bit more shit fuel in oz tanks, especially the outback stations that don't get serviced as often.

MB
29th September 2022, 09:11 PM
That is definitely True mihit Mate…..but Darren also fuels up in somewhat suburbia and then historically tests his TD42 roof height elevated fuel breather lines underwater/sludge in Victoria’s Otways…NUTTER [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Hodge
29th September 2022, 09:18 PM
That is definitely True mihit Mate…..but Darren also fuels up in somewhat suburbia and then historically tests his TD42 roof height elevated fuel breather lines underwater/sludge in Victoria’s Otways…NUTTER [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMaersk sized bilge pump setup and all haha

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

MB
29th September 2022, 09:23 PM
Just been trying to find a picture Hodge Mate [emoji23]
B- Pillar bilge pump outlets from the floor pan of Daz’s are a crack up but will save the day[emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]
It’s called “Casper-GQ” for a reason, ghosts only come out at night [emoji123][emoji123]

GeeeWizz
29th September 2022, 09:40 PM
Better more oil than less.
There's approximately fuckall chance these engine will piston slap oil/ foam up unless you have seriously overdone it.
I don't know quite the amount, but probably over 16 litres.
They're long-stroke diesels. Over-full on the dipstick is well within "she'll be right mate"

*Take this advice for exactly what it cost you. I am not responsible for you sploding your engine.
(Though if you do, please let us know how much oil, for future generation's sake)

Once again your saving my sanity because when I started this conversation I thought I had some sludge or blockage issue when I did the oil change and freaked out with worry that something was terribly wrong because as I said I have done services on this vehicle many times, just lost a crucial bit of information like "how much oil does this thing take". So with panic setting in with the first oil change showing so low and a un-named auto store telling me I needed 9 Liters I did a complete second oil change (including 2 filters) and prior to this 2nd change I drained the sump and inserted a soft wire with some cotton rag to soak any sludge from deep inside the drain incase there was some sludge that far inside. Anyway this second change was left 24 hours to drain before doing the refill and with the outcome still showing a low level I remembered I was a member here and decided to throw a question out there. And I am pleased to hear others offer some input.
Just one thing "MIHIT" I don't ever think I want to try that 16 Liters estimate you thought about. That would be a hell of a fireside conversation with the mates and a few coldies, "did I ever tell you bout the time I had an old 20 liter drum of oil and used 3/4s of it in a oil change back in the early 2020s". yes sir that would be some tale. But hey I can say I did do a 20 Liter 4 filters change between visits to the bitumen. FYI my truck is stock, no turbo, no lift, no big wheels and no winch.
Thanks again for your help mate.

MB
29th September 2022, 10:25 PM
Crikey, I’ve clearly missed something here yet again geeeWizz Mate?

MB
29th September 2022, 10:54 PM
Need sarcastic asssistance please folks, just had to ease my front end over a low cut smooth as catshit stump in the paddock [emoji22]
Pretty sure I’ve accidentally but carefully dented only the old faithful TD42’s oil sump [emoji35]
My old faithful is due for an oil change anyways tomorrow so should I still blindly pour in 10.5L exactly or process check as I’m conducting maintenance?

mihit
30th September 2022, 12:24 AM
]
My old faithful is due for an oil change anyways tomorrow so should I still blindly pour in 10.5L exactly or process check as I’m conducting maintenance?

Corr blimey, tricky one. What does your manual say? :P

MudRunnerTD
30th September 2022, 12:26 AM
Need sarcastic asssistance please folks, just had to ease my front end over a low cut smooth as catshit stump in the paddock [emoji22]
Pretty sure I’ve accidentally but carefully dented only the old faithful TD42’s oil sump [emoji35]

Drop 10lts in. Start it. Stop, wait, check dip stick

mihit
30th September 2022, 12:45 AM
Drop 10lts in. Start it. Stop, wait, check dip stick

No wayy!! Is that what I've been doing wrong all these years.

MB
1st October 2022, 11:34 PM
Legend’s, Thank You Both [emoji120][emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]
Out of Honest Interest, what water temperatures do you Blokes prefer to run your TD’s at? Personally found mine/s tested over the years absolutely Love running in the early 90’s stability/economy/stock power wise, any thoughts?
Would that affect or counteract ambient oil choice temperatures?

mihit
2nd October 2022, 04:47 AM
Legend’s, Thank You Both [emoji120][emoji120][emoji106][emoji106]
Out of Honest Interest, what water temperatures do you Blokes prefer to run your TD’s at? Personally found mine/s tested over the years absolutely Love running in the early 90’s stability/economy/stock power wise, any thoughts?
Would that affect or counteract ambient oil choice temperatures?

Now you're opening a can of worms.
Overcooling can be almost as detrimental as overheating.
Oil is designed to be run hot. Unless you have other shit running, (trans cooler, bigger alt, pulley driven compressor, turbo, 37" tyres etc) which will affect the heat loadsing on the rad, I'd stick with stock.
But you've got me thinking now...I'll do a bit more reading... might swap in a cooler thermostat and give it a bash.

Cuppa
2nd October 2022, 09:15 AM
what water temperatures do you Blokes prefer to run your TD’s at?

Dunno if it's a preference, it's just what it is. Stock motor, stock radiator, additional cooling virtue of extended coolant system to canopy mounted marine calorifier HWS, 3" exhaust with mild 13.2psi tune. Plenty of weight & a light right foot. Temps average 85 to 92 up north, 80 to 85 down south. ..... excluding hills.

Hodge
2nd October 2022, 11:24 AM
Great question Mr. MB Mark mate. I've been wondering about this... Most of the time , unless a hot / humid day, mine lingers 77C-85C-ish. Unless pushed, it won't go beyond that. Since December i've been using Penrite 15w-50. I've noticed over the years , during a long solid highway run as the temps go up summer time, AC on, it goes into high 80s. And the car feels, smoother, free-er so to speak... High country low-range hill climbs and it's been working for a prolonged time, after that it just feels "zippier".
Excuse the stupid words ive come up with for describe it. Is it placebo effect or is there science to this madness method???
How would one know a good "running temp" motor vs. oil? I had a look at specs of the oil and can't see much "temperature" ranges mentioned. Whats a proper warmed up TD range?

mihit
2nd October 2022, 05:00 PM
Would be interesting to see a vehicle running proper temp gauges on oil, water, air intake and exhaust and map the corellation.... I'll be accepting donations of auber units and probes...

MB
3rd October 2022, 05:39 PM
Dunno if it's a preference, it's just what it is. Stock motor, stock radiator…...

Apologies for snippet (cut & paste) Cuppa Mate.
We can definitely increase or decrease our bog stock TD42’s OEM variants clean systems average water temps by way of the OEM 3 x thermostat choices available:
76.5C
82.0C
88.0C
Testing all OEM 3 over near a full year of seasons in Mexico-Victoria (-0C <> 40C / towing-unladen) uncovered that their max running water temperatures remained the same. It was their idling & average use zones that increased closer to a TD42 OEM variants sweet spot found of 92C.
Was just honestly wondering in my query if this warmer performance/economy change I made could have been the reason why I’ve admittedly uneducated with specifics took a nuffy chance to increase oil viscosity’s up from 15W/40 to the likes of 20W/60 and settled on 15W/50 now.