PDA

View Full Version : Wheels shaking

EddieOlsen
16th September 2022, 02:45 PM
My '99 GU get a front end shake between 80 and 90 km/h.
Had wheels balanced and rotated - a couple of trips to different mechanics - can't find a fault with the front end.
Starts right on 80 km/h.
Any ideas what to look for?

mudski
16th September 2022, 03:21 PM
Where to start. My issue was the wheel bearings weren't tight enough. Many other had balancing issues. I used a shop who does truck wheels, they were the only ones who could get it right. Could also be worn front end bushes, worn tie rods end, worn drag link ends, king pin bearings, wheels not aligned right. bla bla bla.

EddieOlsen
16th September 2022, 03:28 PM
Everything looks fine and had 2 different mechanics check the front end over. One adjusted one side wheel bearing but made no difference.
Wheel alignment twice in the last 12 months ... each time they said no adjustment was needed. Tyres are wearing evenly.

mudnut
16th September 2022, 05:13 PM
Pull one end off the steering damper. It should take quite a bit of force to push or pull the shaft in or out. I tried two different brands, which were both defective. Ended up buying a Monroe one and a generic rubber boot.

mihit
20th September 2022, 09:14 AM
There's a thread with a poll round here somewhere. In my experience: (in order) panhard bushes (front and back), steering damper, king pin shims.

pollenface
21st September 2022, 06:32 AM
Also front wheel bearing tightness, be be checked by having a wheel off the ground and seeing if there is any movement

Mine ended up being new steering dampener, I got a RidePro one from patrolapart.