PDA

View Full Version : Colorado yay or nay

jay see
14th August 2022, 10:28 PM
Evening Gents

My eldest is looking for a dual cab and this just falls into his budget. What are your thoughts on the 2.8 Colorado.

I think it's priced accordingly, ones around 200-250k are nudging $30k

https://www.hellomotors.com.au/our-vehicles/2014-holden-colorado-crewcabpup-lt(4x4)-rgmy14-309908

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
15th August 2022, 06:16 AM
We have a fleet of Colorado dual cab 4wd utes on site. They are abysmal on tracks with anything rutted, severely limited suspension, poor underbody clearance. They are all auto's on site. They are zippy with 2 up in them, put 4 and a bit underpowered. No big issues with servicing or parts unreliability I believe. Not that much interior space, certainly 3 men in the back seats is very squeezy.

mudski
15th August 2022, 08:00 AM
Mr.Muscles of 4wd TV has got one hasn't he? He seems to do alright in his.

mudnut
15th August 2022, 09:28 AM
The first thing is to found out if it is the engine that uses a lot of oil.

Hodge
15th August 2022, 11:36 AM
Our diesel mechanic at work had one. I quizzed him on it. He never had it off road so cant answer that.
2.8 is a budget common rail duramax which apparently chews more oil than diesel, in his words. But otherwise a good car. He towed a largish camper van around no dramas.

jay see
15th August 2022, 12:04 PM
Cheers guys.

He may tag along on the odd trip, but nothing too hard. It's more of a weekender as he's got a van for work.

mudnut
15th August 2022, 01:34 PM
Can the oil burning cause expensive problems with the DPF?

rusty_nail
15th August 2022, 06:35 PM
Father in law had one, and towed a 3.5t 26" Whitley cruiser to the Whitsundays once a year for 4 years, and drove it around street times. Had no issues with it whatsoever. Handed it down to an employee and moved onto a ranger and says he regrets it, the golden was much nicer to drive. I drove it a few times and had no issues at all. Pretty fuel efficient too, got it down as low as 7.9L/100 on a drive from Sydney to Deniliquin.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

jay see
22nd August 2022, 09:56 PM
Well he picked up the Colorado on the weekend. Before he left some money on it I rang the mob that did the last service and they have done all the services minor and major, with the last one only about 6 weeks ago where they changed the timing belt too.

So abit of musical cars, he's old car VF Commodore registered in my old man is now my wives and in her name, her Kia went to a local dealer through a car sales instant offer.

Youngest turns 18 on Saturday. Old man want to register the car 2002 Subaru in his name to help him out.

The front if my place is turning in a car yard...

pollenface
28th August 2022, 05:50 AM
200 to 250k nudging $30k seems expensive to me. That's like toyota prices. $15k-$20k would be more reasonable in my opinion unless done up with lots of fruit.

mudnut
28th August 2022, 07:29 PM
Well he picked up the Colorado on the weekend. Before he left some money on it I rang the mob that did the last service and they have done all the services minor and major, with the last one only about 6 weeks ago where they changed the timing belt too.

So abit of musical cars, he's old car VF Commodore registered in my old man is now my wives and in her name, her Kia went to a local dealer through a car sales instant offer.

Youngest turns 18 on Saturday. Old man want to register the car 2002 Subaru in his name to help him out.

The front if my place is turning in a car yard...

Do yourself a favour and see if you can open the timing belt cover at the top, so you can confirm the timing belt is indeed new.

One big tell tale on old belts, is the fact you can see the pattern of the teeth on the outside. Also look for cracks splits or contamination..

Mickhead
30th August 2022, 06:40 PM
Have one parked in the front yard, 2018, no oil burning at all, eats my patrol for breakfast for power, comfort and fuel economy, would not go mental off road in it because its too pretty to scratch. Price is too high for the ks but.
The 2.8 duramax is a thai copy of the italian vm motori 2.8 diesel that has reliably racked up 300 k in my wrangler crd.