PDA

View Full Version : TD42 NA Blacktop Block Engine Mount Casting’s

MB
12th July 2022, 06:47 PM
G’day NP.com.au,

Only out of honest interest whilst stripping down the old TD42 Blacktop. Does anybody know what the additional 2 x engine mount castings were for on these engines?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/84.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/85.jpg

Thinking maybe another vehicle setup like Nissan-Civilian bus or Overseas power plant applications possibly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
12th July 2022, 06:49 PM
Probably for that or the TB engine mounting points as the block casting is the same I believe.

MB
12th July 2022, 08:26 PM
Cheers Mudski Mate [emoji120][emoji106]
Reading that just got me excited starring hard at a TB Maverick outside the shed.
Would it in theory be possible to TB block rebuild with a TD head and other internals required?

nissannewby
12th July 2022, 08:36 PM
Reading that just got me excited starring hard at a TB Maverick outside the shed.
Would it in theory be possible to TB block rebuild with a TD head and other internals required?

No.

TD blocks are a dry liner block. The old ones get pushed out and the new ones get pressed in and then usually honed to finish. Rebuilding TD42's is a fine art. You need to find a good builder who has good experience in rebuilding them. Little things like not using liquid nitrogen to install the new liners. Making sure the parent bores are in good condition and if machined are machined correctly. Liner protrusion is also a big one. Little things on the procedure help here. For example if the block needs decking then it needs to be done prior to liner installation. Then if the liner protusion needs to be reduced then this will be done once they are pressed home.

nissannewby
12th July 2022, 08:39 PM
The blocks were used in a multitude of applications. Anywhere from our humble patrol to a bus as you mention also forklifts and marine applications.

Plasnart
12th July 2022, 08:40 PM

Now Marko, just get the bloody GQ rebuilt and going again....then think of Frankensteining anything else later!! You are the crazy scientist of this forum we know, but at least keep one powerhorse in plowing mode please.

MB
12th July 2022, 09:01 PM
Legend’s Thankyou [emoji120][emoji120]
In regards the old TD42 rebuild underway, I have openly thrown my hands up beyond my grubby shed skills a few posts/threads ago [emoji26]
Just currently stripping it down to become a ‘crate motor’ easy fit [emoji1696][emoji23]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/90.jpg

Have emailed, spoken to quite a few internet sourced TD builders within 1,000km self delivered but everybody is fully booked until almost 2023!

Rossco
12th July 2022, 09:59 PM
Yeah fark seems everything has just gone crazy atm [emoji51] . . . Dropped into Boss Aluminium today to enquire about a couple boxes for some work utes which they've done before but aren't even doing anything custom as have massive backlog of standard stuff with 30 week minimum. . Seems everywhere you go things are out of control damitt. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

PeeBee
12th July 2022, 10:31 PM
Yeah fark seems everything has just gone crazy atm [emoji51] . . . Dropped into Boss Aluminium today to enquire about a couple boxes for some work utes which they've done before but aren't even doing anything custom as have massive backlog of standard stuff with 30 week minimum. . Seems everywhere you go things are out of control damitt. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
At least the story is consistent as they said the same for tray and canopy and that was even after they moved into bigger premises

nissannewby
13th July 2022, 02:34 AM
MB do you have a budget?

Winnie
13th July 2022, 07:11 AM
Legend’s Thankyou [emoji120][emoji120]
In regards the old TD42 rebuild underway, I have openly thrown my hands up beyond my grubby shed skills a few posts/threads ago [emoji26]
Just currently stripping it down to become a ‘crate motor’ easy fit [emoji1696][emoji23]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/90.jpg

Have emailed, spoken to quite a few internet sourced TD builders within 1,000km self delivered but everybody is fully booked until almost 2023!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI've heard real good things about JP Performance. They are in Wodonga. I'm not 100% sure that he would do a rebuild but would be worth asking for sure.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/07/94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MB
13th July 2022, 07:43 AM
Hoping for another 27 years Faithful service at max 150rwkw whatever it may cost exploring this Great Land (my dream) with an open Credit Card [emoji120][emoji23]

mudski
13th July 2022, 08:20 AM
I think a little 4.5L 4BT Cummins implant is in order. Plenty of new crate motors around. In hind sight a 4BT or a 6BT I should have done to mine all those years ago. Would have cost near the same after the amount of coin I spent.

nissannewby
13th July 2022, 10:04 AM
Hoping for another 27 years Faithful service at max 150rwkw whatever it may cost exploring this Great Land (my dream) with an open Credit Card [emoji120][emoji23]

New crate motors are an option but aren't cheap. Then you avoid the potential mishaps of a rebuild.

PeeBee
13th July 2022, 10:42 AM
New crate motors are an option but aren't cheap. Then you avoid the potential mishaps of a rebuild.

Funny description 'New Crate Motor' from my experience. I purchased a new crate motor from brunswick for the conversion. Yes it arrived in a crate, had new paint, but it was a reco engine with dodgy s/h heads fitted, so a word of caution as to check or validate that it a brand spanking ex factory crate motor or a reco from a reputable repairer. I never 'assumed' this was a practice, but it cost me dearly down the track.

nissannewby
13th July 2022, 12:02 PM
Funny description 'New Crate Motor' from my experience. I purchased a new crate motor from brunswick for the conversion. Yes it arrived in a crate, had new paint, but it was a reco engine with dodgy s/h heads fitted, so a word of caution as to check or validate that it a brand spanking ex factory crate motor or a reco from a reputable repairer. I never 'assumed' this was a practice, but it cost me dearly down the track.

Brunswick don't have anything new. I'm sure I have mentioned that here before. Not to mention conversions always come with their own headaches.

People like patrolapart and Ferntree gully nissan are good for new long motors down that way. Patrolapart list long td24t motors for 16k.

MB
14th July 2022, 05:20 PM
Thanks as Always Mat Mate [emoji120][emoji120]
Think I might’ve found an experienced TD42T builder within State today [emoji1696]
Won’t post here who just yet in case I loose my spot in the que but he has done “hundreds” over the years apparently.
Was fully aware, fully disliked also Liquid Nitrogen thanks Brother for shrinking Liners, mentioned it was a USA phenomenon that’s made its way here and should only ever be done on very specific metal compositions?
His recommendation for my power needs is OEM turbo crank/pistons/conrods etc…
Appears more than happy to discuss ARP head bolts when we catch up next week in person for next steps with a potential 3-4 week commencement, parts supply timelines research he needs first give or take [emoji1696][emoji120]