PDA

View Full Version : What is your best modification/accessory?

Cuppa
8th July 2022, 04:48 PM
Be tough on yourself, pick just one, the one you love the most. Say how or what you use you car for to place your favourite mod or accessory into context.

Eg My car is set up for long term remote area touring. It is relatively heavy & to save damage from 'going hard to get through difficult terrain I got an e-locker in the front diff. It has suited my purpose perfectly. I love it. More often than not I flick it on 'just in case', but now & then it's obvious it's needed. Eg towing going south to north of the Old Coach Road, Cape York. It felt like a bit of a 'luxury' when I was paying for it, but it puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

mudnut
8th July 2022, 05:09 PM
The winch has been an absolute winner. Being on a farmlet, it has proved useful for shifting trailers, logs and other assorted gear.

pearcey
8th July 2022, 09:01 PM
The missus, best accessory I ever put in the vehicle.
Did most of the cooking, made sure the beer was cold.

But most of all told me when, where , what and how to do it.

Shit I miss her.

jack
8th July 2022, 09:36 PM
I’d have to say my tow bar, without it I wouldn’t have been to most places I’ve visited.

rusty_nail
8th July 2022, 11:10 PM
The missus, best accessory I ever put in the vehicle.
Did most of the cooking, made sure the beer was cold.

But most of all told me when, where , what and how to do it.

Shit I miss her.That's beautiful mate, no way to top that

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

MB
8th July 2022, 11:54 PM
The winch has been an absolute winner. Being on a farmlet, it has proved useful for shifting trailers, logs and other assorted gear.

Agreed Craigstar, we were possibly in the last of vintages to have the poor pleasure of exteme exercising on Tirfor hand winches at their end of era. Pressing a button these days is absolute BLISS [emoji3590][emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrazilianY60
9th July 2022, 12:16 PM
"These days" you mean over the last 40 years right... :biggrin:

BrazilianY60
9th July 2022, 12:24 PM
To me, best thing was lockers. My trail rig being a Samurai, I have started with a rear LockRight automatic locker (lunchbox locker) and used that maybe for some 10 years. Then I moved to a Detroit locker (flat teeth) on the rear and a Kaiser locker on the front. Totally hated the flat teeth locker, so took that off and moved the Kaiser to the rear end. The Kaiser is a full diff carrier replacement (in contrast to the lunchbox) and worked as smooth as it can be. I think I ran the Kaiser for some 2 or 3 years. Then, on a flash promotion and maybe some mid age crisis, I decided to bite the bullet and put (a lot of) money on my dream locker of all times, the ARB. I ended up buying two at a time plus the compressor that can fill tires with the tire kit. I've been running this for the last 5 or 6 years.

MudRunnerTD
9th July 2022, 01:18 PM
24Volt!!! Beast Mode winching

MudRunnerTD
9th July 2022, 01:19 PM
In the GUIV.... Running Water. A Must Have. Will be going in the Y62 100%

Rossco
9th July 2022, 05:32 PM
Tough call but would have to say lockers and high mount (I know that's two but too many to choose from as it is) . . . Both give the confidence to tackle more off the main track away from the riff raff and get back again hopefully. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

jay see
9th July 2022, 11:54 PM
Digital TV.
Young bloke has training 3 nights a week and has to be at the game 1 hour before kick off..

While driving reducing gears..

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

jff45
10th July 2022, 08:18 AM
Toss up between ditching the TB45E for a TD42T and fitting the hydroboost.. With the hydroboost, I no longer have to leave that big space to the car in front that other cars would slalom into anyway..

PeeBee
10th July 2022, 11:32 AM
Harrop Supercharger, transformed the beast, power to spare, delicious to drive, but wish the 'kit' was correctly configured and didn't require hours of optimisation to simply work.

MB
10th July 2022, 06:56 PM
24Volt!!! Beast Mode winching

Might be Bestest/Safest to clarify MudRunnerTD not all 12V winches appreciate having 24V “Beast Mode” shoved through them Legend [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

MudRunnerTD
10th July 2022, 10:19 PM
Might be Bestest/Safest to clarify MudRunnerTD not all 12V winches appreciate having 24V “Beast Mode” shoved through them Legend [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Hahahaha. #JustSendIt fun to watch though!!

MB
10th July 2022, 10:48 PM
Crikey I am honestly out of touch Old Mate, whereabouts do I #sending it, is that tictockie/youtubey [emoji120][emoji120]

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2022, 02:08 AM
Crikey I am honestly out of touch Old Mate, whereabouts do I #sending it, is that tictockie/youtubey [emoji120][emoji120]

Hahaha. Bloody thumbs 👍

Hashtags don't seem to work on this forum which is odd. It's an internet Search Function. I'll explain it over whiskey it'll be more fun. Lol

mudski
11th July 2022, 08:20 AM
In the GUIV.... Running Water. A Must Have. Will be going in the Y62 100%

Right after you install the bilge pump...

MudRunnerTD
11th July 2022, 09:36 AM
Right after you install the bilge pump...

Hahaha. Nah Bilge pumps are in the GQ. The need is Real! Lmfao

Touses
11th July 2022, 10:10 AM
Water to air IC. After hearing of TD42 tea kettle life, decision was made to keep it as cool as possible.
Over did it, can't get the monster past lukewarm.

MB
20th July 2022, 09:52 PM
Cheapest and best modification I’ve ever done on our Old Family TD42T wagon was tracking down a $35 thermostat, 88C TD27 spec I think/hope it was in Australia as it’s only listed on their puters.

Nissan Manual States:

76.5C = Tropical
82C = Australia
88C = Northern Europe etc….

Pot water tested all 3 and also in vehicle tested all 3 to find our OEM stock TD42T had the same maximum temps around 95-98C always between all 3 towing hard.

Only difference was the Tropical 76.5C which was OEM missing ‘jiggle pins’ (free flowing pinholes) would struggle to get to any sort of half decent running temperature and would scarily drop to the likes of 45C IIRC downhills whereas the 82C & 88C variants would always hold their settings shut, both had ‘jiggle pins’ installed from factory in the OEM pinholes.

TD42/T/i ‘s Love 92C average, huge fuel savings (5-10%) & power Perfection very noticeable at crisp intake air 92C water[emoji123][emoji123]

MB
20th July 2022, 10:11 PM
FWIW:
All 3 tested (OEM Nissan) did exactly as specified and commenced opening at their listed settings and completed their cycle to full open by + 5C.
On the cooling down stage all 3 also closed/fully shut within -5C below of their listed specifications.
In vehicle, only 1 continued to plummet NEW radiator temps massively below its settings even though it was known to be closed.
76.5C Tropical OEM Thermostats IMHO are not built for Australia, TBH not sure where they are any good with free flowing holes X 2 🫤 ?

MB
20th July 2022, 10:45 PM
Epiphany #1: [emoji23]

Sarcastically…..It’s very unlike Mr Nissan to change his written specifications/publications throughout time.

Much like Auto front hub GU’s must have transfer case thinner transmission fluid oil serviced within due to slight front tail shaft rotation whilst in 2WD which tricks the Auto hubs into locked action.

Never believed it was possible from Helpful Members advice on here but sure as anything it occurred oneday, ExMrs complained about hot [emoji3062] passenger feet after a decade driving, damn real specification gear oil had locked the faithful GU’s hubs at 100kmph for 30 minutes [emoji2959]

mudski
21st July 2022, 11:58 AM
The proudest mod is my second glove box. I'm still impressed with how it turned out.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20566-GU-Second-glove-box-mod-DIY!!!

reeves.milner
15th January 2023, 07:29 AM
Ebay turbo on the old girl