PDA

View Full Version : Silo art tour.

mudnut
13th June 2022, 08:36 PM
Done as a way to bring people to the small towns in the region, many Silos have had murals painted on their sides.

We only had one afternoon to complete a shortened route from Horsham, Murtoa (the Stick shed is worth a look), Rapunyip, Sheep hills up to Roseberry, and back to Horsham. The first two have just been completed in the heart of Horsham.

mudnut
13th June 2022, 08:46 PM
Murtoa and Sheep Hills. The Stick Shed is massive.

BrazilianY60
13th June 2022, 09:48 PM
Interesting!
Are they still used for storing grains or just the art now?

mudnut
13th June 2022, 10:51 PM
Interesting!
Are they still used for storing grains or just the art now?

One had a sign, saying it was used in the 2012-13 season. Unknown which ones are being used currently or not. The Stick Shed was built during WW1 as emergency grain storage, until being shut in the 1980s.

If we had more time, I would've read the signs more thoroughly, but I just wanted to keep moving so we could get back to Horsham, before the kangaroos became active.

mudnut
13th June 2022, 11:10 PM
Brim and Roseberry.

Warracknabeal has a couple of statues of kelpies herding sheep, or sitting atop bags of wheat. There is also a nice park near the waterway with some birds and animals on display. Mrs mudsane is keen to head up there again to finish the rest of the tour. My advice is, be prepared for a lot open space between points of interest. Maybe stay at the Grampians then break the trip up and enjoy some stays at motels or caravan parks while taking the time to visit the various museums in some towns.
It would also be a way of breaking up a trip to Mildura or Adelaide, if you had the time to do so.

We also stopped in to look at the Rocklands Reservoir at Glenisla.

mudnut
14th June 2022, 11:10 AM
Warracknabeal is a picturesque little town. The locals have taken pride in their heritage. Young kids will love the albino wallabies in the creek side park.

Timmo
26th July 2022, 10:51 PM
some great shots taken of the art work.