PDA

View Full Version : Travel Safely, Be Prepared, Carry a PLB or better.

MudRunnerTD
8th June 2022, 09:39 PM
Here is a post I found in a Vic High Country Group on Facebook and had to share it here. A great reminder from the guys in the sky.

Hello everyone. Thanks for allowing me to join your group.

Having had a gentle peruse through recent posts I can see a large number of people are wanting to take in the high country to enjoy the winterscape this season.
I’m an avid 4x4er and camping enthusiast in my time away from work. My work has me as one of the states (Victoria) airborne search and rescue assets. We’ve had quite a few calls/rescues in the last couple of weeks with people being unprepared and subsequently getting vehicles stuck. Not only the unprepared, but the prepared (if you can call them that) are also getting themselves into trouble.

Reason for my post is to highlight the importance of taking suitable comms with you up there. When I say suitable, I’m referring to satellite comms.
At a bare minimum please buy/take a PLB. Mobile phone coverage is not always available and with a stuck vehicle, people are walking hours in unfavorable weather conditions to find reception. This is where a seemingly basic situation becomes life threatening.
The best sat comm I can recommend are the ‘Communicators’ like the Garmin inReach. You may not require emergency services because you’re stuck and can message people/loved ones to seek help.

With a PLB we can fly to within a handful of meters of your location, without one, we can spend days looking for you and in so many cases, never find you.

We spend thousands on 4x4 modifications, for just a few hundred dollars you can ensure you’re fully prepared. If your heading up to the high country this winter, fully prepared means having a PLB at a minimum, a Communicator as ideal or a Sat phone in the perfect world.

I don’t wish to offend or scare (too much) anyone but I see first hand how family’s lives are ripped apart because a loved one perished in the bush when a couple hundred $$$’s would have seen them reunited with their family.

Enjoy the the beauty of a white high country everyone. It truly is a beautiful place.

Stay safe.

jack
8th June 2022, 09:44 PM
The PLB has a permanent spot in the Patrol door pocket, and on me if we go for a walk. Cheap insurance and they last a minimum of seven years.

BrazilianY60
8th June 2022, 11:48 PM
What is a PLB?

MudRunnerTD
9th June 2022, 12:18 AM
What is a PLB?

A Personal Locating Beacon.

Rossco
9th June 2022, 07:32 AM
Yeah have the Garmin Inreach for work good little things handy for text messages if needed. . EPIRB lives in GQ now after 12 /24 hour meetup time miscommunication and crazy storm at night cossising butcher link. . .

Yeah couple of years ago went up behind Marysville after big dump, heap of cars no winches, slid into ditch and the no getting out. . But even when your prepared shit can still happen. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
9th June 2022, 08:42 AM
Yeah have the Garmin Inreach for work good little things handy for text messages if needed. . EPIRB lives in GQ now after 12 /24 hour meetup time miscommunication and crazy storm at night cossising butcher link. . .

Yeah couple of years ago went up behind Marysville after big dump, heap of cars no winches, slid into ditch and the no getting out. . But even when your prepared shit can still happen. . .

Hahaha. I read that twice and then checked to see if it was MB...

Yeah my PLB won't let me message but it will let me push thr Red Button. I hope I never use it.

Rossco
9th June 2022, 11:30 AM
Yeah I'm happy with just the red button, for me that's all ever really need ( if / when that time comes lol. . )

PeeBee
9th June 2022, 09:14 PM
Agree, bought my first one in 1997 for the 7 week Kimberley trip. It expired and have a second one, which is currently with my daughter who is backpacking thru Iceland of all places, camping as well. It will work there, just hope it isn't needed.

MB
10th June 2022, 07:46 PM
Agreed, keep it very simple for our Littlens, EPIRB’s are only for Life & Death [emoji22]
Worth teaching our Families/Crews when and what requires a Full Emergency PING and or just simply a Recovery from Mates in a Few Days Safe Time, SAT PHONE $30 a month backup for our extra curricular activities is cheap [emoji120][emoji120]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/22.jpg

MB
10th June 2022, 08:01 PM
FWIW: I Farkn H8 Carnts whom ring 000 for a cough and Delay Legends Life Saving Arrivals [emoji120][emoji120][emoji3590][emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuppa
12th June 2022, 07:50 PM
Looks like a new player in outback/remote area comms is soon to have nationwide coverage - at a price. Starlink will provide fast internet & with it sat phones will no longer be needed.

MB
12th June 2022, 08:03 PM
OH WOW, is that Elon Musk’s initiative I’ve verbally heard of truly only Cuppa Mate? [emoji120][emoji120]
Hopefully it’s a great safety thing but there is definitely some dark sides, hidden corners of the say Victorian High Country that in a very serious emergency situation could require up to an hour of Ping time to Sat slies rotate for EPIRB battery/triangulate as far as I nuffy understand?
I theory I guess if he gets enough FREE Satellites up there for Emergencies Honest = Happy Days LEGEND [emoji120][emoji120][emoji123][emoji123][emoji106][emoji106]

MB
12th June 2022, 09:49 PM
‘ONE HUMAN’ His Intentions “ARE” Privately Noggin Beautiful NOW, Lettuce WAIT [emoji41] [emoji3055]

Plasnart
12th June 2022, 10:26 PM
‘ONE HUMAN’ His Intentions “ARE” Privately Noggin Beautiful NOW, Lettuce WAIT [emoji41] [emoji3055]

What the absolute fcuk are you saying here mate? I've sat here trying to decipher this, thinking left field, thinking right field, abbreviating, looking for anagrams, looking for acronyms, but I think I need to conjour the spirit of Alan Turing for help here honestly!

MB
12th June 2022, 11:53 PM
I McPersonally wouldn’t rely on a self proclaimed Philanthropist to guide Our Country’s FUTURE [emoji120][emoji120]

MB
13th June 2022, 12:05 AM
Crikey,Re-read, my apologies Folks.
With current hundreds, if not thousands of Worldwide shared Government Satellites [emoji930] I still have trouble in our VHC in deep beautiful dark as Fark valleys [emoji23]