PDA

View Full Version : Just brought an 83 MQ Patrol and I'm a kiwi so bring on the sheep jokes haha

Bean
7th June 2022, 08:02 PM
Hey guys thanks for having me,
I've just brought my first ever Patrol so no doubt will be looking for heaps of advice off here.
Prior to that I've had Toyota's but got sick of having sore kidneys and flat beer by the time I finished a trip. So tried a Landrover Discovery. The Discovery was a great ride, but is now on its 3rd engine and is waiting for the wrecker to pick up. The only good thing to come of it is i learnt a heap about engines and general maintenance skills such as replacing wheel bearings etc.
I've always liked the patrols so it was an easy decision to get this one when I came across it, hopefully I'll have more luck than the disco. She'll mostly be used for Hunting, either sometimes in the Southern Alps but usually up some fairly boney rivers with a few deep river crossings, at time water can be lapping almost as deep as the bottom of the windscreen...although thats not usually intentional if I'm honest. Unfortunately my budget couldn't afford a diesel so Im hoping the L28 engines going to see me through, but to be honest I am a little worried the engine wont like the water, so would be keen to know your guys thought's and advice on how to make her more water proof? I'm a keen hunter and live in Omarama NZ.
Cheers Bean

growler2058
8th June 2022, 08:13 AM
G'day mate, welcome aboard

Rossco
8th June 2022, 10:17 AM
Welcome aboard mate, looks like you guys have some seriously awesome wheeling over there, watch a bit of crawler 79 utube channel (has a Disco not a 79LC BTW) . . and looks like 4wd heaven especially with the massive rivers you can drive up amazing. . . Anyways hope the old girl treats you well and enjoy[emoji846][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

mudnut
8th June 2022, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sheep jokes? Whatever do you mean? No one would ever make a sheep joke in this fine, upstanding forum community:)

mihit
8th June 2022, 07:00 PM
Sorry to say mate, the MQ is an absolute waste of time.

You'd better sell it to me :D

I didn't even know there was an LB28? Unless it was the motor out the old 280ZX...

The old LD28, if you don't thrash them they'll go forever. (But an SD33T is so much sweeter)

In terms of waterproofing a petrol you need to keep all your electrics (coil, dizzy, condenser, magneto...whatever that thing runs) high and dry. HT leads full of snot.
Obviously air intake sealed all the way through, which with old rubber fuel lines and carburettor... you're in for some fun.

Dhuck
9th June 2022, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

BrazilianY60
9th June 2022, 12:06 PM
Enlighten someone that live on the other side of the world about the sheep jokes.

:animierte-sm

Rossco
9th June 2022, 01:15 PM
Here we go . . .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/17.jpg

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/06/18.jpg

Just a bit of friendly piss taking on our friends across the ditches (New Zealand) behalf . . Bit of googling memes looks like the same goes for Scottish and Welsh folk . . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

MB
10th June 2022, 08:37 PM
Last I checked Wossco there was Twice the amount of Sheep per capita to Bogans in Straya and merely 50% more Kangawallabies per Hillbilly [emoji3590][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
10th June 2022, 08:39 PM
[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bean
14th June 2022, 08:31 PM
I knew I wouldn't be disappointed haha cheers Rossco. Yep great banter between Oz and NZ.

Bean
14th June 2022, 08:32 PM
Cheers Dhuck

Bean
14th June 2022, 08:37 PM
Haha cheers mihit reckon I'll keep her for a bit. I do have a Discovery 1 for sale....fuel economy is outstanding haha.

This was factory standard sold brand new to the Foresty Dept in Te Anau and then over to DOC when they amalgamated. One of the DOC workers brought it and then sold it to a young fella who sold to me.

Cheers for the advice I'll do that. Its also got a pretonix ignition system which Im hoping will help keep the water out?

Cheers

Bean
14th June 2022, 08:41 PM
Gday Rossco yep we do have some pretty good spots especially down south. I'll take a look at the vids. Yep I'm hoping she's gonna do the trick, regardless I'll be keeping it and slowly do it up.

cheers mate

Bean

Bean
14th June 2022, 08:44 PM
Its a long standing joke between Aussies and kiwi's just good natured banter between two mates really.