PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problem

Stropp
2nd June 2022, 08:47 PM
Recently had a 130amp Bosch alternator fitted and now I get battery, sub tank and handbrake light flash on, checked the ground and voltage is 13.8 when idling, obviously the bloody lights don’t flash when the meter is on it, I suspect the new alternator is on way out however they won’t cover it with warranty until it shits itself. Am I right in thinking alternator?

mudnut
2nd June 2022, 11:17 PM
All connections good? Battery terminals clean and tight? Was there any modifications to the wiring harness to fit the new alternator. Sorry Strop, I can't remember which Patrol you have. If it has an ECU or ECU controlled alternator, maybe it needs to be reset? No fuses have blown?

Stropp
3rd June 2022, 10:03 AM
All connections good? Battery terminals clean and tight? Was there any modifications to the wiring harness to fit the new alternator. Sorry Strop, I can't remember which Patrol you have. If it has an ECU or ECU controlled alternator, maybe it needs to be reset? No fuses have blown?

Td42tdi 2003 so not ecu, I’ve checked everything even cleaned to earths and checked the battery terminals, only thing new is the sparky remade the wiring harness for the spotties as it was too light he said

mudnut
3rd June 2022, 01:24 PM
I think you need to take it back to the eleccy and get them to recheck their work. A pain in the arse but maybe they cut a wire or there is a crook crimp on a lug, especially if the fault is intermittent. Copper can work harden on a vehicle, due to vibration, so if a loom was bent, it may have broken a wire which is now only just touching.

Try turning the headlights, spotties, wipers fan and radio on and see how the alternator copes with a bit of load. Get someone to rev the engine above 1500rpm and measure the voltage output.

Use a the handle of a screwdriver and tap in and around the loom, alternator, fuses and battery, to see if the voltage changes.

mudski
3rd June 2022, 04:58 PM
only thing new is the sparky remade the wiring harness for the spotties as it was too light he said

Well the sparky was the last to touch the vehicle so its his fault!!! Thats how it works doesn't it?

Stropp
3rd June 2022, 09:11 PM
Sparky did the light harness but my mechanic did the alternator change, it’s a bit weird the warning lights were lashing on the way up to Jurien bay then when we slowed down it stopped flashing fuk nose

Hodge
3rd June 2022, 09:22 PM
Stropp.
You're saying at idle you're getting 13.8v and no flashing lights.
Also no flashing lights when slowed down ...

Just thinking out loud , but would the lights flash due to over voltage ?? At speed revs are higher so volts are higher. Yours might be too high?
Checked volts at high revs???

pollenface
3rd June 2022, 11:36 PM
I'm a bit over warning lights myself. My dirtbike doesn't have any warning lights and seems to work fine so long as it has fuel, coolant, oil, etc.

Stropp
4th June 2022, 04:09 PM
Stropp.
You're saying at idle you're getting 13.8v and no flashing lights.
Also no flashing lights when slowed down ...

Just thinking out loud , but would the lights flash due to over voltage ?? At speed revs are higher so volts are higher. Yours might be too high?
Checked volts at high revs???

Now it’s not doing it, think I’ll take it to the auto sparky to check

MB
5th June 2022, 01:02 AM
3 x hard dash hammer fists, spaced at vocal “getup” encouragement has always worked for my -negative earth GQ woes, farkin GU’s need at least double, 6 x “go you good thing” …..True Story [emoji2958][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrolking
5th June 2022, 08:48 AM
Check that plug that goes in the alternator is seated correctly and the release clip is clipping in