PDA

View Full Version : What's this for and do I need it

jay see
24th April 2022, 03:44 PM
To me it looks like some sort of vacuum canister. One side is for the fuel tank.

Can I ditch it and plug the hoses..

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk

jff45
24th April 2022, 04:12 PM
I can’t see any image but I’ll guess you’re referring to the charcoal canister that filters petrol fumes

jay see
24th April 2022, 04:14 PM
Oops.

Yes your correct http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/04/144.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/04/145.jpg

mudnut
24th April 2022, 08:39 PM
Part of the emission system. Does not interfere with the engine enough to reduce power, so leave connected and avoid the fine.

Plasnart
24th April 2022, 09:33 PM
I can’t see any image but I’ll guess you’re referring to the charcoal canister that filters petrol fumes

So how do these actually work? The charcoal absorbs emissions? How many k's until the charcoal is saturated? Some of this stuff is just so far beyond my comprehension.

jff45
24th April 2022, 09:36 PM
I think there’s a vacuum hose to the engine that burns them off. Been a while since I dealt with that kind of thing. Google might be your friend there..

mudnut
25th April 2022, 12:08 AM
So how do these actually work? The charcoal absorbs emissions? How many k's until the charcoal is saturated? Some of this stuff is just so far beyond my comprehension.

Just read the system description. GQ service manual EF & EC page 43.

Got a one way valve built into the fuel cap which allows air into the fuel tank. A partial non return valve in a line from the tank to the canister allows engine vacuum to draw fumes into the canister. From there it is drawn into the engine and burnt.
Simples...

jay see
25th April 2022, 01:19 AM
So going back to my original question.
Can I plug up the hoses and ditch it. I'm changing my snorkel set up and it's in the way.

jff45
25th April 2022, 07:59 AM
I think I moved mine to behind the bullbar when I changed my airbox. I'm pretty sure the bracket is still there since I threw it away when I converted to diesel.
I don't know what the effect of removing it will be. You probably shouldn't plug up the fuel tank ventilation but if you remove the canister the petrol fumes vent to the atmosphere.