PDA

View Full Version : New alternator sense wire draw td42

QuirkyTurkey
15th April 2022, 06:19 PM
So I have an 89 patrol with a TD42. I was having trouble with a low charge voltage from my alternator and the bearing was also on the way out so I decided to get a new 100amp one. I ordered one from patrolapart and Baxters A-1401H. First one arrived obviously damaged and would draw 0.24amps through the voltage sense wire. Sent it back and was accepted for return and replacement (didnt get a reason for that yet if it was the outside damage or internal). Just installed the new unit(no damage that I can see so pretty sure it a different one) and it still has the same p draw through the sense wire. I find it hard to believe that I got 2 duds with exactly the same problem.

TLDR: I've had 2 brand new alternators with the same problem of a 0.24amp draw through the voltage sense wire one after the other.

I plan to call baxters to see what they think but I have to wait till after the long weekend.

Any ideas for what I should look for in the meantime would be helpful.

MB
15th April 2022, 10:05 PM
G’day QT Mate,
Yours and mine Old School sense wires might be buggered across to the battery somewhere ?
Can’t remember much else between that wire and our batteries but I am an elecy 12v nuffy [emoji22]
Have you trialled a temporary sense wire line with say alligator clips across to the main battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
15th April 2022, 10:28 PM
FWIW: QT Mate, I’m still running one……just, after horrid underwater/undersludge ridiculous abuse throughout Tasmania & Vic High Country High Mount 6hp Pimped Warn Winching Saviour [emoji120][emoji120]

https://www.baxters.com.au/alternator-hitachi-type-12v-100amp-e-coated-vac-pump-suits-nissan-patrol-td25-td27-td42.html

QuirkyTurkey
16th April 2022, 11:54 AM
From my understanding the sense wire is just tapped from the main charge wire inside the loom somewhere between the battery and alternator so I'll confirm that there isnt a large voltage drop from battery to alternator.

Either way, without any other wire attached to the alternator and it mounted so its earthed to the engine it should only have a minimal amp draw enough the sense voltage like a normal voltmeter, or at least thats what I would have thought...

Daimos
6th February 2023, 01:50 PM
I have the same Baxters A-1401H alternator. I fitted it in October 22 for a High County trip in November.

Charges fine, new Century starting battery and 400aH of lithium being charged with a 20amp DC to Dc.

After a week or so, the main battery is discharged. On checking I have a discharge of approx 200ma through the sense wire.

I have been on the phone to Josh at Baxters in Sunshine West today looking for info and am currently waiting on a return call.

Had anyone resolved this issue as of Feb?

I'll update as soon as I have more info.

Daimos
6th February 2023, 03:28 PM
So after a few chats today I have come to the conclusion that the alt was intended to be used in an application with a switched sense wire.

The solution for now is to tie the sense wire to the switched wiper power.

Baxters has a turn around time of 2-3 weeks to diagnose. I would prefer not to have the Patrol laid up that long.

Long term I'll fit a different model and fit an electric vacuum pump. Few more options for alternators going down that path.

MB
6th February 2023, 06:15 PM
Top Feedback Thanks Daimos Mate [emoji120][emoji106]
Have never personally had an issue with my slightly older Baxters variants for TD42’s although a nearby Brother/member here Rossco did have severe parasitic drain issues upon new purchase late last year of not only one but a second FOC replacement merely weeks afterwards. Rossco Brother what was the final outcome/batch issued mentioned to yourself over the counter ?[emoji120][emoji120]

FWIW: In regards “electric vacuum’” units for say 4.2 & 6.5 diesels in Patrols, please be cautious of amps required to run such devices as the aftermarket new chosen alternator to fit will need to accommodate electrically too [emoji51]
Robbing Peter to pay Paul, may need 13A squealing belt upgrades doubled with fridges/loads etc…