PDA

View Full Version : Td42 brake calipers

Ilvesekesekene
29th March 2022, 09:07 PM
Hey guys, does anyone know why there has to be lower guide pin equipped with rubber sleeve? At least it is in a single piston calipers. Only answer I found was in the Patrol4x4 forum. It was "it is for toit own safety" . I think it is just an intersting way to say that "I do not know but I like to shine out".

Ilvesekesekene
29th March 2022, 09:09 PM
The car is a GQ from 1995

PeeBee
29th March 2022, 09:22 PM
I thought there was a rubber sleeve on top and bottom pins - more to hold the lubricating grease in than anything - maybe I am wrong, recall two on the twin pot calipers. Without the protective rubber sleeve the pins jam up with corrosion.

Ilvesekesekene
29th March 2022, 09:39 PM
I believe you are talking about the ribbed rubber boots that cover the part of the pin that is sticking out from the calipers and is visible when assambled and installed. I how ever am talking about the rubber sleeve what is pulled over the hidden end of the lower pin. It looks like a piece of hose pulled on the pin, lower only. And I can not explain to myself why it is needed there. Note, it is not the first car I am doing the brake overhaul. Others did not have it.

garett
30th March 2022, 08:15 AM
I know the sleeve you are talking about, seen a few different cars with them, why they have them ....my guess would be to stop the pin from rattling

Ilvesekesekene
30th March 2022, 06:36 PM
That was my best guess also but was just wondering If there was something else.So basically if I replace the pin with the rubber with a pin without on the worse thing that can happen is a rattling brake calipers.

garett
31st March 2022, 09:53 AM
That was my best guess also but was just wondering If there was something else.So basically if I replace the pin with the rubber with a pin without on the worse thing that can happen is a rattling brake calipers.

it may wear out quicker... I have seen a few without the rubber sleeve that should of had one ... also seen them swell do to the wrong stuff being used to grease or clean them.