PDA

View Full Version : death wobble

Deb62
27th March 2022, 07:28 PM
Hi there, I own a 2014 Nissan Patrol ex energex ute and I have had problems with the death wobble. I have had the front end done up I.E. the panard arms, bushes, bearings and everything else you can think of , plus I have had new wheels and tyres fitted by Bridgestone. I have also had the rear suspension replaced with new springs and what have you but I am still experiencing the wobble. It is very random though only happening now and then. Has anyone else had this problem and more to the point have you fixed it and how did you do it. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

mudnut
27th March 2022, 10:58 PM
Check the steering damper. With one end disconnected, it should take quite a bit of effort to push it in and out. I got a Munroe one that is proving to be excellent. I fitted it with a universal rubber boot.

Brissieboy
28th March 2022, 09:52 AM
I was passing another Patrol on a 2 lane highway the other day at around 80-90kph when these dreaded 'death wobbles' occurred on the other vehicle right alongside me. Blood hell! If I hadn't seen it, I would not have believed just how much those wheels wobbled - it is quite spectacular!

Mickhead
28th March 2022, 04:19 PM
King pin bearings and radius arm bushes done?

Rossco
28th March 2022, 06:34 PM
Check tie rod and drag link ends for play too. . Give them a quick pump of grease if this is a temporary fix then that will most likely be it. . Panhard bushes also of course. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

BillsGU
29th March 2022, 11:17 AM
Correct wheel alignment is critical. Some places just can't do it properly.

timbo2410
23rd April 2022, 08:44 PM
I have had an off centre bearing installed in mine and it has driven straight ever since. True Track in Bunbury WA if you want to give them a call. I had the wobbles bad and he just laughed and said this was his bread and butter doing both trolls and cruisers with the same issue. Had new tyres since and the wear is even across the tyre so very happy

taslucas
9th May 2022, 07:09 PM
It seems that for every person to ever encounter the death wobbles there is a different fix. The most recent fix I have seen is on my friends 98 2.8 ST. After replacing every bearing and bush in the front end, trailing arms and panhard in the rear, brand new tyres on different rims, swap tyres with a mate..... he still had them. Last thing he replaced was front rotors/pads and wobbles gone. Good luck on your journey!

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2022, 10:26 AM
It seems that for every person to ever encounter the death wobbles there is a different fix. The most recent fix I have seen is on my friends 98 2.8 ST. After replacing every bearing and bush in the front end, trailing arms and panhard in the rear, brand new tyres on different rims, swap tyres with a mate..... he still had them. Last thing he replaced was front rotors/pads and wobbles gone. Good luck on your journey!

I replaced my wiper blades and started getting death wobbles! I blame Supercheap Auto because they had that Free fitting service and fitted them in the carpark for me... It has never been the same since that day.. I tried swapping out the Pine-tree air freshener on the mirror but that didnt even do anything!! Im going onto Facebook, the answer will be there somewhere..

taslucas
10th May 2022, 01:59 PM
I replaced my wiper blades and started getting death wobbles! I blame Supercheap Auto because they had that Free fitting service and fitted them in the carpark for me... It has never been the same since that day.. I tried swapping out the Pine-tree air freshener on the mirror but that didnt even do anything!! Im going onto Facebook, the answer will be there somewhere..But how good are the wiper blades?

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2022, 05:16 PM
But how good are the wiper blades?

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

They are Mint!!! :)

BrazilianY60
10th May 2022, 09:44 PM
I have had an off centre bearing installed in mine

I have never heard of such a thing... are you sure about it?

MudRunnerTD
10th May 2022, 11:42 PM
I have never heard of such a thing... are you sure about it?

Yes there is. I ran this offset top kingpin bearing on the passenger side of my GUIV for many years and it sorted out tyre scrub, drift and wobble for a long time. I rate rhis mod.

http://safetsteer.com.au/portal/content/view/192/338/

Tip12345
11th May 2022, 12:13 PM
check the adjustment of the wheel bearings .. My ute with 50mm lift is mostly stock ..
BFG tyres . air bags on the Back .. tighten up the wheel bearings . A bit tighter and was a bit worried . But it fixed it .. So .

MB
13th May 2022, 08:37 PM
Harmonic’s, much like bridge collapse’s occur, poor or lied to maintenance of all parts millimeter accentuating IMHO [emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodge
14th May 2022, 08:34 AM
Harmonic’s, much like bridge collapse’s occur, poor or lied to maintenance of all parts millimeter accentuating IMHO [emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR MB here kindly nailed it. Even a micro disturbance can send the whole lot out of rhythm, and harmony is broken.
Mine is perfect now across the whole speed range (knock on my empty nogging it stays so) . I chased my wobble gremlin for months with a heavy machine gun shooting $$$ bullets at it...
During that time it used to drive like a dream at all speeds. Then i'll drive over a tiny bump, even those reflective doodahs on the freeways, and then whole thing will start dancing and won't go away until i was at very low speeds.
In the end new bearings fixed mine, but only temporary. After that it was the draglink and panhard bushes and been good ever since.