PDA

View Full Version : Towing in low range

shakey55
15th March 2022, 06:56 AM
I have a 2005 4.2TD wagon which I use to tow a 2.5 ton dual axle caravan.

I’ve recently encountered some very steep hills that I’ve been caught at lights, round-a-bouts and when taking off in first I have had real trouble getting a move on.

What are your thoughts in engaging low range to get up these hills and then back to normal driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jff45
15th March 2022, 07:56 AM
You need manual locking hubs to be able to do that.
I took the auto mechanisms out of my hubs to be able to move my caravan around more easily without binding up the drive line. Recently fitted a Lokka so glad I had the manual hubs already.

Winnie
15th March 2022, 07:57 AM
No worries at all, it will put far less stress on your vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Touses
15th March 2022, 08:56 AM
No need to lock your hubs.
Low range two wheel drive will do what you're asking.
4wd on bitumen not good at all.

pollenface
15th March 2022, 10:02 AM
I did some googling on how far you can go before bind up occurs and there's no clear known answer.

If you have freewheeling hubs, no probs at all. Also consider using stock size tyres if you're not already.

MB
15th March 2022, 05:33 PM
I believe Jeff Old Mate Legend was referring to a 2005 GU being a factory set of Auto Hubbies from factory?
If selected LR on hard tar your beaut beast will lock the front axles and need careful consideration of turning/feeling/listening prior to binding explosion [emoji95][emoji23]
Plenty of times on my old 2000 GU Leafy ute I too had to select LR for getting ridiculous tonnage up of the hill lights but they did ute come factory with ‘Manual Hubbies’ [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
15th March 2022, 05:56 PM
FWIW: There is a reason that Trucking Legends (not me) can GCM haul 60,000kg say with ‘relatively’ power to weight ease.
Gears/Torque are where it’s all at, as long as you don’t drive a Toyoda, they explode under pressure [emoji2959][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shakey55
6th April 2022, 07:35 AM
Some say I need manual hubs, others say no problems. I have original hubs.

I’m not talking about long distance driving in low range, I’m just considering using the low range to get moving off the mark, after I have stopped in hills and need to take off with loaded caravan.

jff45
6th April 2022, 08:26 AM
Some say I need manual hubs, others say no problems. I have original hubs.

I’m not talking about long distance driving in low range, I’m just considering using the low range to get moving off the mark, after I have stopped in hills and need to take off with loaded caravan.

If you have the factory auto hubs, don't use 4WD/low range on hard surface roads.
You can easily convert your auto hubs to manual at no cost.

geoffayres
6th April 2022, 06:28 PM
Upgrade the turbo and fit a performance pump.....and clutch....

No more hill problems...:smiley_thumbs_up:

...otherwise, convert your auto hubs to manual, or fit manual hubs from a ute or DX wagon.

jff45
6th April 2022, 09:05 PM
Upgrade the turbo and fit a performance pump.....and clutch....

No more hill problems...:smiley_thumbs_up:

...otherwise, convert your auto hubs to manual, or fit manual hubs from a ute or DX wagon.

… or convert it to auto trans :)

MudRunnerTD
7th April 2022, 08:08 PM
If you are going to be doing this a lot then I'd be considering changing diff ratios to be honest.

Short answer is Yes but all the reasons above re the hubs is true.

If you have a Factory TD42T them you will be running 3.9:1 Diff ratios. Your car will be a far better tow pig running some 4.1:1 will make a difference for sure.

MudRunnerTD
7th April 2022, 08:10 PM
Changing different ratios will also lift your cruising rpm up a couple of 100revs and your TD will thank you.

Your TD42T HATES 2000rpm. Don't cruise at 2000rpm. Do you have a EGT Guage? If you don't you should fit as a matter of urgency.

BillsGU
8th April 2022, 01:56 PM
You will only get transmission wind up if you travel in 4WD on hard surfaces AND turn corners. When you turn corners your front and rear wheels travel different distances and that is where you get lock up. If you take off from lights in a straight line there is no problem - just remember to change to 2WD as soon as you can.

Plasnart
27th April 2022, 08:43 PM
Its a great idea to go for hill riding, And nissan has a powerful engine can bear such hilly roads

Oi Billy Wigglestick, you don't need 25 posts for the manuals. Stop posting shit.