PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter change

jman69
12th March 2022, 12:59 PM
Hi there, juust wondering if when i replace my fuel fliter can i pre fill it with diesel before screwing it back on?
primihg is such a hassle.

mudski
12th March 2022, 06:28 PM
Of course you can. Not sure why priming is a hassle though. Not like its hard to do. Takes a whole 20-30 pumps and its done.

Cuppa
12th March 2022, 09:46 PM
To make priming much quicker & much easier fit a 'bulb primer' (diesel compatible) in the fuel line before the filter. Have had one on mine for must be 7 or 8 years now.

eg. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313725981858?hash=item490b8694a2:g:5s8AAOSw8rNhd5l r

jman69
13th March 2022, 10:52 AM
Rito thanks fellas. And thanks cuppa rekon i'll get one of those bulb primers.

MB
13th March 2022, 08:21 PM
Please do take note of Cuppa Mates advice: “before the OEM filter” much like an electrical lift pump would push forward also.
Recently experienced trackside attempting to palm (bulb) pump through/after an OEM filter/primer and they do appear to counteract each other sucking the palm bulb flat/shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pollenface
14th March 2022, 09:28 AM
I always fill it up as much as I can.

When you disconnect the hose between the pump and the filter keep it high with a zip tie as to not let any fuel drip out to minimize the chance of air bubbles.

Pump it until it overflows then connect it all back together.

jman69
19th March 2022, 12:35 PM
Thanks M B,pollenface. Good advice, i"ll keep it all in mind for the next change.

garett
23rd March 2022, 09:13 AM
if I have trouble priming the fuel I push it up with an air compressor in the filler neck ...

BrazilianY60
23rd March 2022, 12:05 PM
if I have trouble priming the fuel I push it up with an air compressor in the filler neck ...

That is probably hard to "seal" the filler opening to the compressed air hose isn't it?

garett
23rd March 2022, 02:15 PM
That is probably hard to "seal" the filler opening to the compressed air hose isn't it?

stuffing a rag around the air gun is enough to push it to the filter, it is nice to have another person to help,
you don't want to go over board with the pressure.

mudski
23rd March 2022, 04:13 PM
I always fill it up as much as I can.

When you disconnect the hose between the pump and the filter keep it high with a zip tie as to not let any fuel drip out to minimize the chance of air bubbles.

Pump it until it overflows then connect it all back together.

I just use a fuel line clamp on each hose prior to undoing them. very minimal mess and easy to use.

BrazilianY60
25th March 2022, 05:53 AM
stuffing a rag around the air gun is enough to push it to the filter, it is nice to have another person to help,
you don't want to go over board with the pressure.

That is an interesting trick, Garret. Thanks for sharing.

budgie
29th March 2022, 09:59 AM
Ive never really had much issue priming the filter,

i spend more time trying to get the filter off then anything, doesnt matter how loose i do it maybe because its close to turbo and the heat running around there or the fuel lines running across
the fire wall warm the fuel up i dont know. But i had to go out and buy an aggressive filter clamp to remove my fuel filter, normal filter removal tools are no match.

I just use a fuel line clamp on each hose prior to undoing them. very minimal mess and easy to use
There i nice little clamp off tool Mudski

mudski
29th March 2022, 12:43 PM
Ive never really had much issue priming the filter,

i spend more time trying to get the filter off then anything, doesnt matter how loose i do it maybe because its close to turbo and the heat running around there or the fuel lines running across
the fire wall warm the fuel up i dont know. But i had to go out and buy an aggressive filter clamp to remove my fuel filter, normal filter removal tools are no match.

There i nice little clamp off tool Mudski

Move the housing to the RHS mate. Much betterer position.

budgie
29th March 2022, 06:51 PM
Move the housing to the RHS mate. Much betterer position.

Do plan on it, but everyone things the rhs brackets are gold plated or something