PDA

View Full Version : Gvm upgrade gu iv wagon

shakey55
4th March 2022, 05:09 PM
I’m in the market for a GVM upgrade for my 2005 GU IV 4.2td wagon.

Has anyone here had it done. If so who did you get to do it.

Was there much involved in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
4th March 2022, 05:29 PM
I did this on a GQ Patrol. the limit is the axle ratings, as defined by NIssan. The spring rates need to match the new load capacity. Tyres must be rated for the load, as do any aftermarket rims. I had to do a 44 stop brake test as well, 22 off 60 - zero and 22 off 80 to zero emerg stops. Had to put the vehicle over a weigh bridge to confirm its weight. Some company's charge like a wounded bull for this - I just did the work in advance, but still cost $800. Some like Pedder also install diff strengthening webs - isnt needed as the axles and housing rating is based on the max carrying capacity - talk to your engineer first before getting slugged for unnecessary mods. For example, in Vic, the system approved in WA is not recognised. Additionally one VASS certifier told me the suspension needed to be replaced regardless of it being 1 week old and duty rated for the GVM upgrade and then he claimed the car needed to go thru a complete RWC as well. I left and he reported me to Vicroads as having an unroadworthy vehicle because I refused to allow him to rip me off.

shakey55
5th March 2022, 06:27 AM
Thanks. I found an engineer at a suspension company at Ingleburn NSW, who explained a lot to me and advised that they do GVM upgrades. Will be arranging to go and see him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jff45
5th March 2022, 08:56 AM
I had my 2001 GUII done to 3550 kg here in QLD. The engineer gave me a list of the Tough Dog springs & shocks required + 2 degree castor bushes and was Ok with me doing all the work myself here at home.
He came to my house to inspect the work and did the blue plate here for $650. The Tough Dog etc stuff was around $1500.
The vehicle had to be diesel (he didn't care that it was converted) and have ABS. He saw my rear spring mount braces and agreed they were a good idea but he didn't require them.

Tough Dog say it's a 2" lift but it's more like 80 mm if there's no weight in it. It sits just right with 260 kg towball weight on it and doesn't need the Polyair bags anymore.

Cremulator
5th March 2022, 09:22 AM
Interesting to hear that ABS was a requirement. Out of curiousity (and not necessarily for GVM upgrade) has anyone fitted ABS to their vehicle that originally wasn't delivered with ABS from factory?

jff45
5th March 2022, 10:18 AM
Interesting to hear that ABS was a requirement. Out of curiousity (and not necessarily for GVM upgrade) has anyone fitted ABS to their vehicle that originally wasn't delivered with ABS from factory?

Also forgot to mention that, in addition to the ABS requirement, I had to fit Narva Cat 6 side indicators. This is because, to be able to do the GVM upgrade to 3550 kg, the Patrol changed category to light commercial.

I would expect retrofitting ABS to an older Patrol to be a real pain. Not only the mechanical side, which includes a different master cylinder, with all the brake line swapping, etc but the electrics/electronics would be a real headache.
You also need to consider how you want it to work with diff locks. My Ti has factory rear locker and it cuts out the ABS when engaged.

Edit: Short story about my ABS.. I've owned my Patrol for 15 years and a couple of months ago I felled a big foxtail palm that was becoming dangerous. I (over)loaded it into my 8x5 trailer to take to the dump on a drizzly morning and approaching the dump entrance I started to brake and realised the road was a bit greasy as the pedal started pulsating as the trailer pushed the Patrol straight ahead. I wasn't going fast but still had to back the trailer up to make the turn so I'd overshot by a few metres.
First time in 15 years I'd activated the ABS..

shakey55
31st March 2022, 11:07 AM
Good morning.

A few of you have read that I’m in need of a GVM upgrade for my 2005 Patrol Wagon (4.2 TD)

I’ve been searching for places, found one who will upgrade to 3300. I was looking for 3500.

I have found that Pedders do one to 3500.

Has anyone here had a GVM upgrade done with Pedders and if so how did it turn out.

stevemc181
31st March 2022, 03:57 PM
Good morning.

A few of you have read that I’m in need of a GVM upgrade for my 2005 Patrol Wagon (4.2 TD)

I’ve been searching for places, found one who will upgrade to 3300. I was looking for 3500.

Has anyone here had a GVM upgrade done with Pedders and if so how did it turn out.

I had the pedders 3505kg GVM Upgade done prior to first registration on my 2016 LE GU CRD, I'm still running it today. It does the job, but its a pretty hard ride if not loaded. My rear diff was braced along with the rear coil towers as part of the GVM increase. It also had to be registered as a 5 seater and the larger cat 6 side indicators fitted. Keep in mind that once you do the upgrade you're stuck with using the same suspension.
I've attached a photo showing the rear diff bracing and axle capacities.

stevemc181
31st March 2022, 04:02 PM
Its also worth noting, as this is in the caravan and campers section, a GVM upgrade won't give you a GCM upgrade if that's what you're chasing for towing?

Cuppa
31st March 2022, 04:20 PM
Different situation - we had our rear leaf sprung GU ute's gvm upgraded in 2013. 3400kg to 3900kg. I just want to suggest that prior to getting any gvm upgrade ask questions about on & off road performance. It is my experience that it is possible to get springs with the same load bearing qualities that are quite different to each other. Either more suited to carrying a heavy load on paved roads or off road. One with a great deal more flex than the other. I'm sure this applies less to coil springs, but worth asking the questions before committing.

jff45
31st March 2022, 11:40 PM
Its also worth noting, as this is in the caravan and campers section, a GVM upgrade won't give you a GCM upgrade if that's what you're chasing for towing?

My GVM upgrade to 3550 kg also allowed a GCM upgrade. It was previously 2960 kg + 2500 kg tow capacity for the auto. It’s now 3550 kg + 2500 kg. Mod plate now shows 6050 kg GCM.

shakey55
1st April 2022, 06:21 AM

Yes, totally aware if that. I’ll be well within my GCM range when towing caravan, but I was in desperate need of having a larger payload for the patrol.

stevemc181
1st April 2022, 01:30 PM
My GVM upgrade to 3550 kg also allowed a GCM upgrade. It was previously 2960 kg + 2500 kg tow capacity for the auto. It’s now 3550 kg + 2500 kg. Mod plate now shows 6050 kg GCM.

When was that done? My understanding is that GCM upgrades couldn't be done anymore, but they do keep shifting the goal posts in various states I guess.

jff45
1st April 2022, 01:57 PM
Sept 2018..

geoffayres
3rd April 2022, 06:08 AM
I wonder if they've allowed your GCM upgrade because it's still well below the factory TD42 GCM.

geoffayres
3rd April 2022, 06:12 AM
I had the GVM of my '99 TD42T wagon upgraded here:

https://statewide4x4.com.au/

Happy with the work and the result.
The unladen ride is very comfortable.

The GCM is unchanged at 6540kg.

geoffayres
3rd April 2022, 06:20 AM
Good morning.

I believe the Pedders upgrade is for the 3L only.

Cuppa
3rd April 2022, 07:58 AM

That was the case for the upgrade I had done (Lovells) - approval was for the 3L only. Mine is a 4.2. Found a VASS engineer who was familiar with the upgrade & with Patrols. Paid an extra $1200 on top of the cost of the upgrade. (Dynamic brake tests etc) & got the blue plate.

jff45
3rd April 2022, 08:41 AM

I think they also limit it to 5 seats.

geoffayres
3rd April 2022, 09:18 AM
I think they also limit it to 5 seats.

Mine was changed to 5 seat capacity as that was how it was configured at the time of the GVM upgrade.

It can be reverted to 7 seat capacity by refitting the seats and belts and presenting to VicRoads for inspection (no fee).

Cuppa
3rd April 2022, 10:19 AM
It can be reverted to 7 seat capacity by refitting the seats and belts and presenting to VicRoads for inspection (no fee).

Changed our ute from 3 to 2 seats & took it to them. They looked at it 'cos I asked them to, but were not really interested. Asked if they could give me something to say they had inspected it & was told no, because seat numbers are not recorded on rego documents. So they have no record of the change. If I were ever to change back it would be a complete waste of time to take it back to VicRoads.

Is your seating capacity shown on your rego document?

jff45
3rd April 2022, 11:00 AM
I wonder if they've allowed your GCM upgrade because it's still well below the factory TD42 GCM.

Factory GCM of any Patrol is GVM + towing capacity.
If mine had been a manual box instead of auto, it would have 1000 kg more on the GCM. I asked the engineer if he could up the towing capacity, seeing as it was now a TD42T instead of a TB45E, but he said it wasn’t possible. Nissan limit the auto box to 2500 kg while they allow the TD42 manual to tow 3500 kg.

I’ve often wondered what a stock TD42T would feel like towing 3.5t. I’ve read that some take the auto hubs out so they can use low range to take off on an incline.

geoffayres
3rd April 2022, 11:06 AM
Factory GCM of any Patrol is GVM + towing capacity.
I’ve often wondered what a stock TD42T would feel like towing 3.5t. I’ve read that some take the auto hubs out so they can use low range to take off on an incline.

I never tried towing 3.5T in stock trim. I'd guess not much fun.

No issues at all towing 3T with a 12mm pump.

geoffayres
3rd April 2022, 02:54 PM
Is your seating capacity shown on your rego document?

No, but it is shown on the compliance plate and recorded on VicRoads database.

Cuppa
3rd April 2022, 05:20 PM
No, but it is shown on the compliance plate and recorded on VicRoads database.

Hmmmmm.....well I hope my seat change was recorded then, They didn't tell me it would be. I wrote asking for confirmation & never ever received a reply. The following is what I posted here on the day I took it in.

"So as I had nothing better to do, I drove across town to VicRoads office & patiently sat in their queue.
When my turn came I told the VicRoads staff member what I had done & my reason for coming in.
I was directed to bring my car to the inspection bay, whereupon the staff member stuck her head into the vehicle & said “Yep, that’s two seats”
I then asked if I would be provided with some evidence that I had advised VicRoads of the change of seating as the compliance plate says seating for 3.
“We can’t change a compliance plate” she said, & further agreed that the number of seats is not shown on the Registration certificate so the change would not be recorded there. “So it was a bit of a waste of time bringing it in?” I said. She smiled & shrugged her shoulders.
So I have no evidence that I have advised VicRoads of the change. Considering they say that they MUST be advised this seems rather odd to me"

MB
3rd April 2022, 05:35 PM

They’re not great with 3.5T hauling and do require calm patience John Mate.

My old stock 2000 TD42T GU DX manual work ute had manual hubs thankfully and I did occasionally have to use LR transfer case selection to get going at lights that were perched on steep inclines and pull over at the top to change back to 2WD ratio.

Our stock wagon 2001 TD42T was even worse especially on the highways with 3.5T towing due to its 3.9 ratio diffs versus utes 4.1 lower ratios from factory.

3” exhaust systems and decent tunes were installed on both eventually which helps but be prepared to stay in 4th on highways and plod along watching closely your exhaust gas temps with aftermarket gauges needed on stock TD42T intercooler-less manual box factory legal 3.5T towing variants [emoji23]

shakey55
4th April 2022, 06:33 AM

I’ve spoken to them and they have inspected vehicle, 2005 manual 4.2td wagon. GVM upgrade to 3505 booked in and ready to go, but awaiting springs as they have a shortage of springs for my vehicle.

Hillboy
7th December 2022, 10:48 AM
I’ve spoken to them and they have inspected vehicle, 2005 manual 4.2td wagon. GVM upgrade to 3505 booked in and ready to go, but awaiting springs as they have a shortage of springs for my vehicle.

G'day Shakey55,

Just wondering how you went with Pedders and your GVM upgrade on your 4.2?

Cheers,
James

shakey55
8th February 2023, 04:16 PM
G'day Shakey55,

Cheers,
James

G'day Shakey55,

Cheers,
James

Hillboy

Sorry I haven’t been back for some time.

I have had the GVM upgrade and since put airbags in (a new set - as one of the older had a hole)

I’m more than happy with the outcome, it’s just what I needed.

Attached is a copy of the compliance certificate showing among other things, the before and after GVM, front axle rating and rear axle rating.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2023/02/8.jpg

Stropp
11th February 2023, 06:23 PM
Looks like I need a gvm upgrade to tow the caravan, with 200kg towball weight I’m 534kg over the 3040kg gvm. I’ve taken both spare wheels off the car and one swing away arm , taken everything out of the rear drawers and removed the 40ltr fridge and dropslide, hoping that is enough as it’s all behind the rear wheels, if I’m close I’ll take the drawers out if not it’s a gvm upgrade.

Well I dropped 190kg but still 244 over so nothing left but gvm upgrade ��

jff45
12th February 2023, 09:41 AM
Looks like I need a gvm upgrade to tow the caravan, with 200kg towball weight I’m 534kg over the 3040kg gvm. I’ve taken both spare wheels off the car and one swing away arm , taken everything out of the rear drawers and removed the 40ltr fridge and dropslide, hoping that is enough as it’s all behind the rear wheels, if I’m close I’ll take the drawers out if not it’s a gvm upgrade.

Well I dropped 190kg but still 244 over so nothing left but gvm upgrade ��

So you were 334kg over GVM anyway before putting anything on the towball.
I use 250kg towball weight so my penalty, using the Nissan sliding scale, is 400kg. This is why I got the 3550kg upgrade, it leaves me 3150kg but not possible to stay within that anyway when loaded for travelling..

Stropp
14th February 2023, 06:51 PM
Well in WA no gvm off the shelf for 4.2 gu so now I’ve taken the drawers out the double shelf where the back seats were, the drawer fridge and the winch as well as the awning and roof rack, hopefully that’s enough to allow me to get what I need so the only things left if I don’t get there is the second battery and the rear bar to change out for the stock rear bar however with just me I’m hoping it’s ok or close so I can get away in the van in 2 weeks time.

jff45
15th February 2023, 08:51 AM
It's no surprise that most 4WD touring vehicles are overweight.

Stropp
16th February 2023, 12:29 AM
I’m under now by 260kg so good with 200 ball weight 👍