PDA

View Full Version : 2003 won't start

JungleJim
7th August 2011, 05:43 AM
So I have it at the agency, but they don't know much here in Central America. I bought this 4 days ago and 48 hours later ran out of gas. They "forgot" to tell me the gauge stopped working a little less than halfway. Also, sub tank light is on. I was already planning on adding an extra ground to hopefully fix it and if not, buy a new pump/sensor, whatever. After a buddy brought me gas it wouldn't even try to turn over. Oil level excellent, battery checked out good but we tried to jump it anyway, still wouldn't even make a sound.

Took it to the agency who tried switching out the connections on the starter, still no good so they are ordering a new one. I've posted pictures of the condition after cleaning it up and sanding it down. My question is, How is this related? Why would the starter stop working after running out of gas? Is there some other lockout I'm missing or just coincidence? From the condition, it does appear I need a new $1000 starter, but is that going to fix it or do I need to be looking for other problems while waiting for the part to come in?

Needless to say I'm in big trouble with my wife, but with 198,000km I knew there would be work to do. While it is sitting there they are also changing all fluids, filters, belts; flushing radiator cleaning window motors... pretty much overhauling everything but the engine...

The day I bought it it ran like a champ for the 5 hour drive home without a misstep. Funny how you only get stuck on the side of the road for 3.5 hours when you have your whole family with you.

YNOT
7th August 2011, 07:50 AM
I'd say pure coincidence that this happend after running out of fuel.
Are there any auto electricians in the area that can recondition starter motors? Would be a lot cheaper than replacing it.

How good is your mechanical knowledge and do you have access to a multimeter?

Tony

Yendor
7th August 2011, 10:40 AM
I would say it was just coincidence as well.

Going by the photos I would say your brushes have worn out and this has caused excessive arcing on the commutator.

It is reasonably common for a starter motor to just stop working as yours did or sometimes they can give the symptom of turning the engine over a little bit slower during cranking.

There is not much really you can test before you get the starter motor sorted, except maybe the start circuit and main engine and body earths, but I would guess they have already done this, as this is how they found the problem with the starter motor.

In the photo of the commutator the damage looks to severe to be machined out, I would recommend replacing the starter motor or maybe a second hand starter???

JungleJim
7th August 2011, 12:22 PM
I've ordered a new starter motor. My mechanical knowledge is decent, but I've had to self teach here so my vocabulary is in Spanish. I always took my vehicles to the shop in the States. Here there's not much opportunity. I do have a multimeter. Also a self taught electrician (shocking sometimes...), although I probably shouldn't be attempting most things I do even under close supervision by a professional.

I'll let you know what happens on Monday after we get the new starter motor in. Thanks for your posts.

growler2058
7th August 2011, 12:26 PM
Good luck with it mate

JungleJim
12th August 2011, 01:06 AM
So it took a day later than expected to get the part. It started up great after charging the battery and replacing the starter motor. One positive thing was that they found where the gas tank float had been installed on the wrong side of some hose so that seems to be fixed as well and because of this forum I had them install a second ground onto the chassis. That fixed my sub tank! Love this forum and you saved me lots of time and money, even though on this part I'm out $1000. A new float would take a month to get here on the boat and cost $250 and who knows how much I would have spent on a new pump, sensors, labor etc trying to figure out what was wrong with that sub tank...

growler2058
12th August 2011, 05:28 AM
Good news mate! Bit of a sting to the wallet but at least she's up n running ay

JungleJim
13th August 2011, 01:43 AM
Better an expensive patrol that runs than a cheap one that doesn't... I would have still preferred a cheap one running though :)