PDA

View Full Version : ARB Boost Controller - or Warp drive activation?

jldathome
24th February 2022, 07:10 PM
Hi Folks

Just bought a 2006 IV GU 3.0.

Bloke I bought it off didn't know what has been done to it, in fact was of the view that nothing had been done to it other than a larger intercooler and a catch-can. Obviously i don't know what I was looking at either!

Having had an opportunity to go over it in more detail, it's fitted with:
-a 3'' exhaust
-a Steinbauer power module
-boost gauge that's topping out at 9 PSI
-an EGT gauge which I only spotted on the drive home last night and which seemed to top out at around the 500° mark
-and this......which looks like a boost controller, but I've not been able to find an ARB branded version to confirm. The dial turms but there are no +/1 boost markings to give the game away.

Can anyone help by confirming what this is, and if it's not a boost controller, what does it do?

Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers

Dhuck
24th February 2022, 07:15 PM
Looks to be an air filter to me. But I may be wrong (or probably).

jldathome
24th February 2022, 07:24 PM
Good call - for an air compressor by the looks of it - I wonder where that is....

Cheers buddy

nipagu7
24th February 2022, 08:07 PM
my guess is air breathers for diffs and or gearboxs . follow those two hoses back and see where they go to.

BrazilianY60
24th February 2022, 11:03 PM
my guess is air breathers for diffs and or gearboxs . follow those two hoses back and see where they go to.

I second that.

mudski
25th February 2022, 06:59 AM
I second that.

I third that, its exactly what it is.

As for the boost and EGTs, low boost = high EGT's. This is what the op has. I would be sorting this out as priority if it were me.

MB
25th February 2022, 06:43 PM
A fourth confirmation of an overpriced ARB diff/gear/transfer box raised aftermarket breather.
Purchased a kit myself for an old GQ a few years ago but did modify like a worrying wart as usual prior to an underwater adventure upcoming down in Tasmania.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2022/02/32.jpg

Maximum $20 at any Pirtek/Enzed type joint for extra fittings to create an up/down type natural airlock for unfortunate flooded engine bay debacles is my unprofessional R&D advice [emoji120][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhuck
25th February 2022, 09:46 PM
I so wanted it to be warp drive activation.

BrazilianY60
26th February 2022, 06:27 AM
Maximum $20 at any Pirtek/Enzed type joint for extra fittings to create an up/down type natural airlock for unfortunate flooded engine bay debacles is my unprofessional R&D advice

I like the way this was solved by Trail Gear. After all, the problem to solve is not to take breathers out of the way, it is to allow the internal gases to contract and expand freely while keeping water out.

jldathome
26th February 2022, 03:49 PM
I so wanted it to be warp drive activation.

So did I, but based on the handling of thing in the wet today (QLD storms), I damn glad it wasn't. Dunno about anyone else, but I'm to buy a pair of stabilisers and sickbags for the kids. I've just traded down from a Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4 SRT - that was childs play compared to this thing.