PDA

View Full Version : 4.8 manual Jerky when cold

Gas_Guzzler4800
4th August 2011, 07:33 PM
Hey guys, Havent had the old girl long but my 4.8 manual starts and runs beautifully. Smooth idle etc. But when its cold it is very jerky until it warms up. Once warm its much better but still has a bit of driveline slop.

eg. Start it cold, take off and change to second and all is well until I release the accelerator to slow down for a corner, the truck lunges and jerks around, put the foot back on the accelerator and it does the same thing again. Its not misfiring or anything, just jerky like a constant 4wd with driveline slop.

dippy_10@hotmail.com
22nd August 2014, 01:57 PM
Hey guys, Havent had the old girl long but my 4.8 manual starts and runs beautifully. Smooth idle etc. But when its cold it is very jerky until it warms up. Once warm its much better but still has a bit of driveline slop.

eg. Start it cold, take off and change to second and all is well until I release the accelerator to slow down for a corner, the truck lunges and jerks around, put the foot back on the accelerator and it does the same thing again. Its not misfiring or anything, just jerky like a constant 4wd with driveline slop.
Mine does that same thing??

oncedisturbed
22nd August 2014, 02:05 PM
Mine does that but its an auto, i think bands may be slipping a bit in mine.
No idea on the manual though

Bulbous
22nd August 2014, 07:07 PM
4.8s don't really like being driven immediately after starting. Even says so in the user guide.
Once started, it's best to let it idle for 30 seconds or so.
I use that time to set up the dash cam, GPS, etc. If I wait the 30 seconds then it's much happier