PDA

View Full Version : Boost pressure at highway speeds

RokasGR
24th February 2022, 12:29 AM
Hello,
i have a short question about boost pressure.
Nissan Patrol GU 1999 with RD28. When i bought it, he already had KCR diesel power chip.
As i understand, it controls fuel amount under acceleration. It works, i "played" with it a little bit and
added manual boost controller, because when i increase fuel, Patrol starts to smoke.
I increse boost up to 1 BAR (~14.5 psi) and adjust chip box. Now it has A LOT more power and no smoke.
BUT, when driving on the highway (~90-100 km/h) boost pressure stays at about 0.6 bar (~ 8 psi)
which increases fuel consumption.
When i disconect chip box, power drops down (because of fuel amount) and boost didnt reach 1 bar (~14.5 psi)
and i can feel power drop. Also boost come slower. But on the highway with chip switched off, the turbine pressure does not drop and stays
at same 0.6 bar (~ 8 psi).
I even add a button to turn off and on chip box (like eco and sport mode :) )
Question is: how to control boost at highway speeds to keep it lower. Do i need "smarter" boost controller? Or am i doing something wrong?

Thank you!

mudski
24th February 2022, 07:13 AM
More power and boost = more fuel. You can't have it both ways. Whats wrong with 8psi boost anyway?

nipagu7
24th February 2022, 08:18 PM
i wouldn't think 8 psi boost is high . without a vnt turbo like the zd30 i think that it would be difficult to control cruise boost .