PDA

View Full Version : Sticking my head in...

10G
6th December 2021, 10:02 AM
Been really busy and then went away on holidays for a while.

How are everyone?

Back at work now. Lost a client which saw a large reduction in income, put my retirement plans back 5 years.

Here's a little map of where we went on our holidays ...

10G
6th December 2021, 10:05 AM
We were going to go to Cape York, but got put off by all the reports of how many people were up there. Never been there, not sure if I really want to? It sounds like a rubbish dump and peak hour rolled into one.

Anyway, we went everywhere on the map except for the location at B in WA. It was hitting high 30s with 80% humidity at that time, so we just started back heading south instead.

mudnut
6th December 2021, 10:44 AM
Your ears must have been burning. I was just remarking, yesterday, to Mrs mudsane that I had not seen you on the forum for a while. Your trip sounds amazing. Any pics or vids you care to share?

Cuppa
6th December 2021, 07:06 PM
We were going to go to Cape York, but got put off by all the reports of how many people were up there. Never been there, not sure if I really want to? It sounds like a rubbish dump and peak hour rolled into one.

Anyway, we went everywhere on the map except for the location at B in WA. It was hitting high 30s with 80% humidity at that time, so we just started back heading south instead.

Apart from school holidays in early July, covid travel restrictions saw the Cape with far fewer than normal visitors. We enjoyed that. Looks like a great trip was had. Saving the Kimberley for another time? Chuck up a few pics when you get time.

pollenface
7th December 2021, 12:14 PM
That's a good effort!

10G
9th December 2021, 03:30 PM
Camping with friends. In between the Mac Clarke Reserve and Old Andado.

10G
9th December 2021, 03:34 PM
Hmmm. I seem to have misplaced alot of photos. I'll see if I can find them.

Give me a minute ....

10G
14th December 2021, 08:58 AM
Sunset in Karumba QLD

10G
14th December 2021, 08:59 AM
Don't drink too much ...

10G
14th December 2021, 09:01 AM
Hells Gate Roadhouse FNQ.

10G
14th December 2021, 09:03 AM
Almost there ...

10G
14th December 2021, 09:04 AM
entrance to Cahill's Crossing southern end.

10G
14th December 2021, 09:07 AM
The hand of God ..

10G
14th December 2021, 09:08 AM
Stayed in a motel in Katherine. Woke up one morning and I was being watched ...

mudnut
14th December 2021, 09:23 AM
The hand of God ..

He's asking for three beers.

Cuppa
14th December 2021, 09:42 AM
Photos are great. All very recognisable to me. I have a photo of a two seater plane which landed across the road from Hells Gate roadhouse, & was pushed across to the bowser to fill up with normal super. The geckos like you saw in Katherine are a constant here at Moreton. Loved Cahills Crossing , we spent many hours there croc watching on the turn of the tide as they fed on mullet crossing the causeway. The usual 'Beware Large Estuarine Crocodiles' sign on the left just behind you out of shot said 'Beware Very Large Estuarine Crocodiles' & they were! Crossing into Arnhem Land is something we are yet to do, but is high on the wish list. Loved camping by the Nicholson River near the weir at Doomadgee before taking the 'back way' on station tracks down to Lawn Hill & Adels Grove (where we worked as dishwashers for a couple of weeks). Interesting 'rock' shelves on the beach at Karumba & great sunsets as you show, but Karumba itself didn't do much for us. Different if you have a boat & fish though I reckon.

Seeing your pics brings back so many good memories, has me looking forward to more 'post Cape' travels. Revisiting places is always different to first time around, but what it lacks in terms of 'discovery' is made up for by the pleasantness of 'familiarity'.

10G
14th December 2021, 11:39 AM
Coming into Arnhem Land just after Cahill's, you think you're just entering heaven, there was a huge wet land with lillies in it and magnificent rock formations, we thought 'bloody hell, no wonder they don't want anyone in here' . But of course after a little while it reverted back to how it was pre Cahill's crossing, still great, but not as stunning.

Our, or maybe my most important destination was Garig Gunak Barlu NP. Not alot more south than the 'tip', but much less trampled. The full time Ranger is a local. Great guy, really super friendly, knew so much about the area, wish we could have stayed to speak with him some more.

Gee we struggled with the humidity, everyday at least 50% and mid 30s. Then one of us began getting constantly hammered by midgies. Them and the humidity and we had to retreat south. I would love to go back there one day.

The Ranger showed us where a 4M salt croc likes to take a break and swim in a fresh water hole near the campgrounds. Didn't see him at all, but when leaving early that morning, we saw he had visited the water hole that night, the slide marks are hard to miss.

Cuppa
14th December 2021, 12:43 PM
Garig Gunak Barlu NP. Not alot more south than the 'tip', but much less trampled.

Sounds wonderful!

10G
16th December 2021, 10:06 AM
on the road....

spent two nights at lorella springs.

visited roper bar. For a very long time had wanted to visit it, not sure why? Must have read about it many years ago?? Anyway, there's nothing there but a community.

10G
16th December 2021, 10:09 AM
Caravan park at Mt Isa.

BrazilianY60
16th December 2021, 11:41 AM
What does the "T/O" in front of some of the cities names means?

Nice pictures, please keep'em coming!

Cuppa
16th December 2021, 02:32 PM
What does the "T/O" in front of some of the cities names means?

Turn Off. (ie. a road junction)
No cities out that way .... unless you are 'Lost'. ;) Check out the Lost Cities - Western & Southern in Limmen National Park.