PDA

View Full Version : Railway sleeper strength

Maxhead
12th November 2021, 06:53 AM
Bit of a different question but Mr Google is no help.

I’m thinking of building a bridge over a small creek and I’m thinking of using 4 ironbark (230x120) AAA grade railway sleepers as the main support beams.

I’ve already got 200x50 ironbark planks to go on top.the bridge will only be 2.4 x 2.4 with concrete footings on each side.

My question is, will that support a car, small tractor or small truck?
Any idea how much weight this setup would support?

Thanks gents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

growler2058
12th November 2021, 08:30 AM
Yeah no probs mate! Go for it

rusty_nail
12th November 2021, 09:46 PM
MB this is your forte mate

Plasnart
12th November 2021, 11:04 PM
AS1684.2 span tables to be sure, but sleepers don't get a gig. If it can't be spec'd it's a guess.
Sure, drive ya tractor over it Krisso no wukkas!

NissanGQ4.2
13th November 2021, 05:56 AM
Nah I really don't think you should risk it, happy 2 grab those sleepers off you 2 use as firewood though *L*

Maxhead
13th November 2021, 06:07 AM
Nah I really don't think you should risk it, happy 2 grab those sleepers off you 2 use as firewood though *L*

I was building this bridge for you, so you can get to the magic camp spot at Chrissy[emoji23]

Maxhead
13th November 2021, 06:10 AM
AS1684.2 span tables to be sure, but sleepers don't get a gig. If it can't be spec'd it's a guess.
Sure, drive ya tractor over it Krisso no wukkas!

Well, that’s what I was ganna do! Build it, then just try it.
Everyone I know sais It would hold a tank up!

MB
13th November 2021, 06:15 AM
If you can Krisso Mate try and see if your supplier has ‘Turnout’ railway sleepers. They are generally longer for where the old tracks used to part off from a single line to two. Their main benefit for your bridge would be they are a bit thicker, something like 250x150 and in a AAA would handle heaps on their edge.

Maxhead
13th November 2021, 06:24 AM
If you can Krisso Mate try and see if your supplier has ‘Turnout’ railway sleepers. They are generally longer for where the old tracks used to part off from a single line to two. Their main benefit for your bridge would be they are a bit thicker, something like 250x150 and in a AAA would handle heaps on their edge.

Yeah righto, I’ll ask my supplier. I never heard of them but that sounds awesome.
My other idea was to use railway track as main support beams but it would be harder to work with I reckon, and an over kill probably…lol

MB
13th November 2021, 06:32 AM
Unfortunately they can be a little hard to find sometimes and pull a decent price as the architects love them for big feature beams at pub beer gardens etc….
Worth considering good old Gumtree for possibly a ripper deal on a pair of steel H or I beams floating around a farmer’s paddock.
Not sure about your block but steel would be our best option down here in the Termite Hills, little pricks of things [emoji23]

Maxhead
13th November 2021, 06:37 AM
Unfortunately they can be a little hard to find sometimes and pull a decent price as the architects love them for big feature beams at pub beer gardens etc….
Worth considering good old Gumtree for possibly a ripper deal on a pair of steel H or I beams floating around a farmer’s paddock.
Not sure about your block but steel would be our best option down here in the Termite Hills, little pricks of things [emoji23]

Yeah, I’ve been looking at these. 2.4 long
They look like they would handle a bit
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/11/79.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/11/80.jpg

MB
13th November 2021, 07:07 AM
They would be my choice for sure[emoji106][emoji106]
Another imperative thing to make sure of that when you bolt or screw the sleeper boards down that all grains are pointing downwards. If they are ‘concave’ pointing upwards to the weather the cores/heartwood will start popping up [emoji51]

MudRunnerTD
13th November 2021, 12:21 PM
Steel would awesome. If you are going the Ironbark I reckon it would fine assuming you aren't sending a 60t B Double over it.

As MB wisely stated "on its edge mate." 100%

Maxhead
13th November 2021, 12:55 PM
Steel would awesome. If you are going the Ironbark I reckon it would fine assuming you aren't sending a 60t B Double over it.

As MB wisely stated "on its edge mate." 100%

Cheers mate, they will be on the edge if I use sleepers for sure.