PDA

View Full Version : 13 numbers on sat phone not working

AB
8th November 2021, 04:34 PM
Hi Folks,

We had a bit of an incident yesterday where we were in a remote area with no reception and needed Racv to tow it home.

Tried to ring their 13 11 11 number but it it couldn’t connect.

Bit of googling shows iridium doesn’t allow 13 or 1800 numbers which is kinda shit and wasn’t what I was expecting.

Does anyone why or even better is there somewhat of a workaround to ring 13 numbers on an iridium phone?

Not pre paid either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rusty_nail
8th November 2021, 05:24 PM
Try this next time mate?

+61386270122

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Brissieboy
9th November 2021, 08:57 AM
I think you need a satellite phone with a 'standard' mobile number to be able to access any 13, 1800 or 1900 numbers. Not sure but I recall reading that somewhere. I know Iridium numbers starting with 8816 definitely cannot access any of these type numbers.
This is pretty important to know as it is not real good being stuck out in the middle of nowhere and not being able to call the only numbers you have on hand. If you know the limitations, you can be prepared with your own list of full Aussie national numbers for all those emergency or important contacts.

AB
9th November 2021, 06:28 PM
I think you need a satellite phone with a 'standard' mobile number to be able to access any 13, 1800 or 1900 numbers. Not sure but I recall reading that somewhere. I know Iridium numbers starting with 8816 definitely cannot access any of these type numbers.
This is pretty important to know as it is not real good being stuck out in the middle of nowhere and not being able to call the only numbers you have on hand. If you know the limitations, you can be prepared with your own list of full Aussie national numbers for all those emergency or important contacts.

Exactly right, I never knew that until I needed it so it’s good to know.

Thanks Nicco, that number is now saved lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NissanGQ4.2
9th November 2021, 06:35 PM
I blame you for putting the xmas lights back on..... go away for a year, come back and they are still there!!! WTF!!!!