PDA

View Full Version : Oil from front freewheel hub on GQ

Bluedog77
31st October 2021, 03:34 PM
I am getting traces of oil on the outside of the front passenger wheel. It seems to be coming from where the free hub bolts to the standard hub. No oil on inside of wheel or hub. It only leaks when it is driven. Could this be caused by the axle seal or something less of a concern. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

mudnut
31st October 2021, 10:47 PM
Does it pong like diff or gearbox oil? It is fairly easy to whip off the free wheel hub and check it out. If it turns out its just grease, clean up the surfaces and apply a very fine bit of silicon to act as a seal when you replace the hub. Just make sure no sealant gets into the hub.

MB
1st November 2021, 10:32 PM
A picture if possible would help heaps Bluedog77 Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
As far as I remember outer workings of a GQ front it shouldn’t throw “differential oil” around your hub/outer rim?
Mudnut is very possibly on the money of your hub seal being shot, maybe has been for a while too and somehow locking on to allow water to mix its grease into a viscous goo at higher speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluedog77
2nd November 2021, 04:04 PM
This doesn't show much as I have wiped the oil/grease off the wheel. It only comes out in a couple of spots.
]8453884539

mudnut
2nd November 2021, 06:59 PM
I think if old grease or oil is coming out, then water and muck can get in.