PDA

View Full Version : gq auto woes

da' maverick
2nd August 2011, 05:32 PM
got a bit of a problem. i hope its a common problem that can be resolved.
to start this story i brought this maverick that came with a fresh motor with receipts and a reco box.
the previous owner said he thinks the bands are due for adjusting. well he seamed full of crap so i didn't read much into it.
on driving it home i never got over 80km due to out of round tyres. for the next 6 months the 4by sat in the car port as we got it to roadworthy condition.
first trip out there was a shudder as we went into over drive. this shudder got to the point where i had to push the power button in to get past it. the the power button did not work all of a sudden. no first gear and no over drive. i was told the shudder was a torque converter issue. so i sourced a replacement. i specified what i needed and was given a c2 torque converter, the one i took out turned out to be a c4 ? but all the same it fitted perfect. at first there was no change. i ran the story again by the transmission man he then said ohhhh arrrr check the fuses. shit. its blown.
cool got all gears back and they rev out nicely now and all, a bit noisy in the converter department.
all was going fine for the last two weeks and then today, fuse blew again. any thoughts?

YNOT
2nd August 2011, 06:30 PM
Torque converter shudder is very common, worse than the shudder itself is the bits of clutch material from the lock up clutch that get carrried all through the transmission by the oil, not good for transmission life expectancy.

I'll need to look at a wiring diagram later to see what might possibly be causing the fuse to blow, but my initial advice would be to very carefully and closely check all the wiring between the auto and the computer.

Tony

da' maverick
2nd August 2011, 07:39 PM
that was my thought tony. an after thought came to me. there have been a few other symptoms. the power light and hand brake light come on when you give it the herbs around town. the other day when in over drive it drooped 300 rpms than normal when doing 100kms the it would surge a little then back to perfect operation.
another symptom the misses called with a flat battery. told her ot to leave lights on and the norm stuff. charge and it did it again. so i tested it with the battery tester that century batterys supply. battery was sucked down to 9 volts , alternator passed. starter motor passed. but the was a suspect drain somewhere.

YNOT
2nd August 2011, 07:57 PM
You've got some strange symptoms there with the power light and park brake light coming on, you could have a short in the wiring or a bad earth.
The 300rpm drop is consistant with torque converter lock up, not sure about the surging.
Your alternator may have a faulty diode, it will still charge ok but will drain the battery when switched off.

Tony