PDA

View Full Version : Nulon rear main seal stop leak stuff

pollenface
5th October 2021, 10:42 PM
I suspect I have a (slight) rear main seal leak.

I'm curious about that Nulon stop leak stuff. Do you idle it for a bit and then drop the oil or just leave it in there?

mudnut
6th October 2021, 01:19 PM
I've used Nulon on the Falcon, after a crook mechanic (MUPPET!!) fitted another engine without swapping the seal or even replacing the rear welsh plug. That was a long time ago and the leak has stopped. Silver seal also plugged the welsh plug.

pollenface
21st December 2021, 12:38 AM
Well the nulon stuff works great, I used 2 bottles at 100ml/Litre and deducted that amount from the sump capacity to get it spot on (I like maths), I'm starting to miss the smell of engine oil dripping on the exhaust :)

mudski
21st December 2021, 06:57 AM
Well the nulon stuff works great, I used 2 bottles at 100ml/Litre and deducted that amount from the sump capacity to get it spot on (I like maths), I'm starting to miss the smell of engine oil dripping on the exhaust :)

So how did you go about it? Leave it in?

pollenface
22nd December 2021, 12:54 AM
Yeah left it in, it's been there for 1500kms so far.

Cuppa
22nd December 2021, 10:38 AM
Similar with stop leak stuff I put into a radiator once. On A Holden HZ ute with a 186. I had topped up a hot engine & heard the 'crack' before seeing water dripping from the exhaust. Instructions said put the stuff in, run for a while & then drai coolant & replace it out. It didn't work, so I tried again & left it in. Never leaked again.

wagu89
22nd December 2021, 11:38 AM
Used it years ago in old gq ute. Rear main was leaking real bad, chucked the seal replenisher in left it for couple thousand drained oil then the thing didn't leak for tens of thousands of ks then put new rear main when did clutch!! Think I used liquimoly but its all the same stuff really

PeeBee
23rd December 2021, 07:45 AM
This stuff works by chemically attacking the seal and forces it to swell. What I wonder about is the effect on seals there are not leaking, do they swell and deform also?

pollenface
23rd December 2021, 09:50 PM
lets find out ....

pollenface
10th April 2023, 05:22 PM
I finally got around to getting this leak fixed. Turns out it was the tappet cover seal (and it was spilling down the back of the motor), not the rear main ... haha I have a habit of assuming the worst case scenario and rolling with that.