PDA

View Full Version : 2" lift or full set of tyres???????

Timmo
29th July 2011, 01:35 AM
Hi guys,

well my wife god love her has given me a choice either a 2"lift or a whole set of tyres, now my 09GU is stock i just dont know what to choose from, there are alot of things that i wanna do to the mistress(my Patrol) but im in no rush as plans are before we go around australia in 6 years is to turn her into a great tourer so my question is what would you guys choose either a quality " lift or a full set of tyres.........

any help appreciated.

Clunk
29th July 2011, 01:38 AM
depends on what tyres you've got now and what ya want to do in your mistress

patch697
29th July 2011, 01:39 AM
What sorta shape are your tyres in?

Clunk
29th July 2011, 01:40 AM
What sorta shape are your tyres in?

arent they usually round mate????

Timmo
29th July 2011, 01:51 AM
tyres are in pretty good shape the 2 front ones are brand new which are good year wranglers the back 2 are at 50% which are dunlop grantreks, but hey inch lift does sound good?

patch697
29th July 2011, 01:55 AM
It your happy with keeping it at 2inch then go the lif mate.

Clunk
29th July 2011, 02:00 AM
tyres are in pretty good shape the 2 front ones are brand new which are good year wranglers the back 2 are at 50% which are dunlop grantreks, but hey inch lift does sound good?

and theyre also the cheaper of the 2 to do first.....lol, but I think if was me............ if was doing more sand driving, I'd keep the tyres and get the lift but if I was driving more on rocky muddy stuff, then tyres first then lift..................... but I'm farely new to all this myself

Timmo
29th July 2011, 02:08 AM
thanks guys, not realy doing much rocky driving and these tyres should get me through the popular power lines i hope when i plan on doing that, well before we leave perth but a lift sounds cheaper and will help out im kinda in places but its not happening untill next year around feb so got some time to think.

Clunk
29th July 2011, 02:21 AM
thanks guys, not realy doing much rocky driving and these tyres should get me through the popular power lines i hope when i plan on doing that, well before we leave perth but a lift sounds cheaper and will help out im kinda in places but its not happening untill next year around feb so got some time to think.

well by Feb, you'll be able to get both hahahahahahaha.............. iyou should have a good look around in gumtree, the quokka and trawl the forums and internet mate, you could always ppick up a good set of second hand ones for not too much money and get the tyres quicker....... lol

growler2058
29th July 2011, 06:26 AM
You need to convince she who must be obeyed that the two mods compliment each other and really should be done at the same time to achieve best results. Hahaha but if she doesn't come around I'd be going the tyres as these will get you going further off road traction traction traction:-)

AB
29th July 2011, 07:08 AM
I would go the lift mate and as you know it will inevitable to get new tyres in no time...lol

Bob
29th July 2011, 09:32 AM
If your aim is to Drive around Australia in the future I dont see the benefit of getting a Lift. Tyres for me.
Have never had a Lift in any of the Patrols that I have owned and have driven most of the Victorian High Country. If you intend to do some serious Off Road then a Lift maybe.
A standard Patrol if driven carefully will go most places that is necessary

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi guys,

well my wife god love her has given me a choice either a 2"lift or a whole set of tyres, now my 09GU is stock i just dont know what to choose from, there are alot of things that i wanna do to the mistress(my Patrol) but im in no rush as plans are before we go around australia in 6 years is to turn her into a great tourer so my question is what would you guys choose either a quality " lift or a full set of tyres.........

any help appreciated.

Lift ... tyres are a wear and tear item that you have to replace at some stage anyway ... go the lift, run out your current tyres and then get the tyres done down the track when both money permits and they are actually required ...

That's my two cents anyway!! lol

nowoolies
29th July 2011, 10:02 AM
i would go the lift mate
tyres you will have to replace down the track

MudRunnerTD
30th July 2011, 01:28 AM
Yep Lift here too.

You can chase up a second hand set of tyres if you really get stuck but the lift is the winner for sure.

Remember the reason for the lift is not really for improved clearance (although you get that) but you are only going a 2 inch lift so it is not a massive step up in that regard. The upgrade to a quality Heavy Duty suspension package is not something to be taken lightly. It will make a MASSIVE difference to the drivability of the car long term. It will affect the long distance fatigue suffered to all you passengers and your vehicle.

This is a No Brainer.

I get Bob's point, and a 2 inch lift will not give you that much improvement in clearance in the high country but the upgrade will. If you dont want or think you need a lift then upgrade and stay the same height?? Why would you do that though?

Go the lift mate. You will be blown away! ARB Old Man Emu for a 2" lift, you cant look past it mate. good luck and enjoy.

macca86
30th July 2011, 07:39 AM
If your aim is to Drive around Australia in the future I dont see the benefit of getting a Lift. Tyres for me.
Have never had a Lift in any of the Patrols that I have owned and have driven most of the Victorian High Country. If you intend to do some serious Off Road then a Lift maybe.
A standard Patrol if driven carefully will go most places that is necessary

I often find it necessary to be adventurous and that's why my standard ride height girl has bashes side steps from a trip at my friends farm in granite country near stanthorpe (her next door neighbor is the springs 4x4 park) So a little lift will help and improve ride quality and if you're touring need the extra heavy duty stuff for all the weight, then when the tyres run out get some 33" under her for traction and height.
Remember the wife is for kids the mistress you spoil haha give her both and she'll treat you right haha