PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Problems

Warnie
28th July 2011, 08:43 AM
Hey guys, I have a problem with my LHS headlight. The light does not work when the headlights are on, but works when the high beams are on. What does this mean?

I also have a blown LHS rear brake light and my parker on the LHS is also blown, if that helps anymore.

Adam

Yendor
28th July 2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Adam,

If the headlight bulb is not blown then your problem is more then likely with the headlight switch.

What size bulbs are you running?

Cheers Rodney

rkinsey
28th July 2011, 09:09 AM
Hi Warnie,

The low beam fillament has blown in the headlamp itself. You are running 7" sealed beam headlights on that GQ of yours. You need to replace the Headlight itself. You can get them from most Autoparts stores but I got mine just yesterday from Autobarn for $15.95 each headlight (75/50w)

You could even get a set of semi seald beam hedlights that you can change the globes in. These ar around $130.00 from Auto parts stores. Narva make a reasonable set.

http://www.4WDTV.com.au has video tutorials on how to change these headlights out.

In regards to the brake and parker lights, change the globes first. They are around $3.00 for a packet of two from most service stations and Auto parts stores. If its not the Globes then you will have to trace the power back to the lamp assembly. This can quite often be caused by "broken" cables. Look for kinks or sharp bends in the cables.

Cheers,

Rob

YNOT
28th July 2011, 03:43 PM
Hi Adam,

If the headlight bulb is not blown then your problem is more then likely with the headlight switch.

What size bulbs are you running?

Cheers Rodney

This is a common fault, easily fixed by fitting a seperate headlight loom with relays.

Tony

Yendor
28th July 2011, 06:34 PM
Hi Warnie,

The low beam fillament has blown in the headlamp itself. You are running 7" sealed beam headlights on that GQ of yours. You need to replace the Headlight itself. You can get them from most Autoparts stores but I got mine just yesterday from Autobarn for $15.95 each headlight (75/50w)

You could even get a set of semi seald beam hedlights that you can change the globes in. These ar around $130.00 from Auto parts stores. Narva make a reasonable set.

http://www.4WDTV.com.au has video tutorials on how to change these headlights out.

In regards to the brake and parker lights, change the globes first. They are around $3.00 for a packet of two from most service stations and Auto parts stores. If its not the Globes then you will have to trace the power back to the lamp assembly. This can quite often be caused by "broken" cables. Look for kinks or sharp bends in the cables.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for that helpful post.

I noticed you have installed 75/50 watt replacement headlights.

I would recommend that you fit relays to your headlights (at least the high beam) or as Tony has suggested fit an upgraded harness and relays to your lights.

The headlight switch contacts in the GQs are a weak point and are prone to failing especially when larger wattage bulbs are fitted.

Cheers Rodney

rkinsey
28th July 2011, 06:51 PM
Cheers Rodney.

You learn something new every day! I'll definately go out this weekend and get an upgraded wiring loom for my lights. I was only looking at some in Supercheap auto the other day.

Cheers,

Rob

Sir Roofy
28th July 2011, 06:56 PM
hey guys, i have a problem with my lhs headlight. The light does not work when the headlights are on, but works when the high beams are on. What does this mean?

I also have a blown lhs rear brake light and my parker on the lhs is also blown, if that helps anymore.

Adam

hi adam
your lefthand tail/brake light has been blown since the toolangi run
low beam element prob blown,also check for mud behind your headlight
after your mud dipping and water at toolangi

cheers roofy

Yendor
28th July 2011, 07:46 PM
Cheers Rodney.

You learn something new every day! I'll definately go out this weekend and get an upgraded wiring loom for my lights. I was only looking at some in Supercheap auto the other day.

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,

That is what is so great about this forum, I am always learning something new as well.

With your lights, I don't see a problem with the low beam but the high beam is a different story.

You will more then likely find after fitting the upgraded loom that your headlights will be brighter.

Cheers Rodney

Rob

rkinsey
28th July 2011, 11:10 PM
Well, I just checked my headlamps and they are 75/50w. Im still going to upgrade the wiring loom though as a matter of course. Im fixing everything else, may as well replace the wiring as well.

Warnie, before you spend any money, find out where your problem is coming from. Troubleshooting first then fix later. To see if the problem is just your headlamp, take the RHS headlamp (as it is working fine) and plug it into the LHS socket then turn your headlights on and see if Low beam works.

If it does then go and get a replacement headlamp.

If it doesnt, look at the switches, fuses, relays etc.

Cheers,

Rob

MC97GQ
29th July 2011, 05:15 AM
Warnie,

Do as Rob suggests, but it is still worth doing the following.

First things first, get on to Garry at Nizzbits - New Genuine Nissan Headlight/Indicator Stalk Approx $115 including postage. See my post about changing the switch it is a 10 min job.

Replace the headlight loom as per numerous threads here, get decent wiring, heavy duty headlight plugs(don't go cheap they'll only melt anyway).

Once you've done all that, mate you'll be stoked I know I was, I chased my tail with headlight issues for a couple of weeks till I found this forum.

If you need any help feel free to PM me or put up post.

Good luck

Mark

Warnie
29th July 2011, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I takled this today. New rear globe and front parker as they were blown. And I thought that the low beam element might have been blown so I went out and bought a new set of uber globes and this did not fix the problem. Me thinks that it has to be a fault or something wrong with the wiring line.

Yendor
29th July 2011, 08:13 PM
Hi Adam,

If you need a hand sorting out the problem with your headlights just let me know.

Cheers Rodney

Warnie
29th July 2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks rodney, If iI havent got it sorted out by the time I get back to QLD in a week and a half I will get onto you

Bigrig
29th July 2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks rodney, If iI havent got it sorted out by the time I get back to QLD in a week and a half I will get onto you

Before you come to Scenic Rim no doubt!!! lol

Crusher_AU
2nd April 2012, 04:22 PM
I have a similar issue on my GU L/H headlight will light up both high and low beam when low beams turned on, also the high beam indicator on dash will light dimmely..
When I switch to high beam all ok..