PDA

View Full Version : Reporting from the Netherlands

NoBody
27th July 2011, 10:06 AM
Hi all!

Last friday, I bought myself a very decent looking Nissan Patrol GR 2.8, produced in may 1997 with only 121000 KM's on the clock :toot:

This is it:
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/64.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/65.jpg

Downside is that here in the Netherlands, to drive it comes at a large expense. Unless you're using it for a business, road taxes are very high for heavy diesel-fueled cars. That, however, isn't stopping me from driving the car I want to drive during the coming few years.

Anyway; why am I here? Since I'm getting more and more interested in car mechanics, I also want to fix things myself more and more, where possible (available tooling is limited). Therefore, I think it will be very interesting to exchange expertise, ideas and, perhaps, other stuff as well, with other Patrol-drivers :)

So you'll probably see me around, although I'm sometimes a big lurker (person who reads a lot, but doesn't post as many messages) too :P

AB
27th July 2011, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the forum mate and congrats on the new Patrol.

Feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

NoBody
27th July 2011, 10:37 AM
I will, thanks!

Bigrig
27th July 2011, 10:43 AM
g'day mate - Welcome aboard. Great people, information and forum laughs, so don't be shy and join to make the most of it. Enjoy!

Bob
27th July 2011, 10:49 AM
wELCOME mATE. jOIN IN AND ENJOY

growler2058
27th July 2011, 10:53 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard they're a good mob here full of great info and advice

Dhuck
27th July 2011, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

katwoman
27th July 2011, 03:42 PM
Welcome to our fabulous forum. Hope you enjoy !

Woof
27th July 2011, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, enjoy.
Great looking Patrol you have there, when you start getting out and having fun with it, post some photos up for us to see.

Finly Owner
27th July 2011, 10:41 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim

Clunk
28th July 2011, 01:33 AM
nice looking Patrol you have there Nobody, welcome to the forum mate

timbar
28th July 2011, 10:06 PM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Maxhead
30th July 2011, 07:31 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate. Nice Patrol there mate.
I'm curious on what that is on the roof of the house....It's got me thinking.

DX grunt
30th July 2011, 09:07 AM
G'day.

Welcome to the forum. Nice truck.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Dark 1
30th July 2011, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the patrol community, have a poke around & join in when your ready.

NoBody
1st August 2011, 07:38 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate. Nice Patrol there mate.
I'm curious on what that is on the roof of the house....It's got me thinking.
Those are solar cells. They help lowering the electricity bills :thumbup:

patch697
1st August 2011, 09:19 AM
Welcome aboard mate & I hope you enjoy the forum.

nowoolies
1st August 2011, 09:45 AM
g`day nobody
welcome on board mate
heaps of laughs and bucket loads of info here enjoy
nowoolies
Paul
p:s piccies we luv piccies

NoBody
26th July 2012, 08:14 AM
Been 'offroading' (note the quotes) in Slovakia, with the troll, about 5 weeks ago. Recorded a vid and thought I'd share it here too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP241JNCTUs :)

BillsGU
26th July 2012, 11:04 AM
All the way to Slovakia !! That's almost as far as we drive to go 4 wheeling.

Petit caillou
26th July 2012, 06:21 PM
Hi,

welcome to the forum.

Regards from France,
Pierre.

Maxhead
27th July 2012, 07:59 AM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate

..........on the move

Silver
27th July 2012, 08:46 AM
Welcome, NoBody!!

Very tidy looking rig, I've not seen one set up like that in Australia.

taslucas
27th July 2012, 01:29 PM
Gday mate, welcome aboard. You guys sure get some nice looking patrols in Europe. What kind of taxes or taxing system is the road tax? How much is and when do you pay? (if you don't mind my asking)

Lucas

NoBody
5th August 2012, 10:55 PM
Gday mate, welcome aboard. You guys sure get some nice looking patrols in Europe. What kind of taxes or taxing system is the road tax? How much is and when do you pay? (if you don't mind my asking)

Lucas
The road tax is an amount of money you pay here in the Netherlands, either per year, or per quarter of a year, for just owning a car. There are of course some snags to the system, but in general the actual fee is dependent on what kind of fuel the car runs on and how heavy it is. Especially when burning diesel or LPG, unless you're using the car for a business, the fee rises fast with the car's weight.

For mine, I pay EUR 410,- (which converts to approximately AUD 480,-) each quarter of a year. My troll officially weighs 1900KG.

Silver
6th August 2012, 07:57 AM
about 10 years ago, some rellos toured around Europe. They took hours of video :-/. there were some beautiful buildings, scenery, and beautifully dressed people.

But what struck me was that just about the only off road vehicle appeared to be military. I see why, your fees a lot higher than ours, once the injury insurance component is stripped out of our rego.

Maybe the real reason is that the big vehicles give too much of a psychological advantage at those very busy roundabouts and other traffic hot spots :-)

Winnie
6th August 2012, 08:13 AM
That's a huge amount of tax to pay!! Ours is something like $300 + $400 or so for TAC insurance.

taslucas
6th August 2012, 10:18 AM
Wow, that is high!

You must love your patrol:-)

NoBody
6th August 2012, 10:24 AM
about 10 years ago, some rellos toured around Europe. They took hours of video :-/. there were some beautiful buildings, scenery, and beautifully dressed people.

But what struck me was that just about the only off road vehicle appeared to be military. I see why, your fees a lot higher than ours, once the injury insurance component is stripped out of our rego.

Maybe the real reason is that the big vehicles give too much of a psychological advantage at those very busy roundabouts and other traffic hot spots :-)
Well yeah, that too of course, though do know that the Netherlands is one of the few European countries, if not the only one, where road taxes are this high (for the more heavy diesels). Also you'll have to understand that our landscape (the Netherlands is about 99% ground zero), roads and, well, actually about everything differs so very much from Australia, that in here there's really no purpose for driving a 4x4 at all, other than just for fun and to go offroading once in a while, at dedicated spots.

That 2nd sentence does go for most of Europe by the way, to a certain extent ;-)

This is also why most "SUVs" you see here nowadays are the likes of Kia Sportage, Nissan Qashqai/Duster, etc. Cars that don't really deserve to be called SUVs, if you'd ask me, but they do provide their owners the comfort of some extra space and a higher seat.

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah but the Road Tax will be offset by cheaper fuel as a similar thing happens in New Zealand.

Note that in Australia there is a MOUNTAIN of tax on Fuel both Diesel, Petrol ad LPG. State, Federal and also the real Gem GST on every litre. Dump allot of that and I'd happily pay a Road tax in Lieu. Maybe they can figure out a way of charging push Bike riders a Road tax too. ;)

The GST alone would equate to More than the Road Tax noted above i reckon

NoBody
6th August 2012, 10:27 AM
That's a huge amount of tax to pay!! Ours is something like $300 + $400 or so for TAC insurance.
Alright, but what exactly does TAC mean?

Wow, that is high!

You must love your patrol:-)
Totally! :biggrin:

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2012, 10:30 AM
Transport Accident Commission. It is Personal Injury Insurance that is built into the Registration of every vehicle on the road in Australia. It provides insurance for medical and rehabilitation and some lump sum compensation after a road accident only where personal Injury has occurred.

The insurance is tied to the car and not the person. If your driving an unregistered car then you are personably liable for the injury of others. same goes if your drunk. If you hit a pedestrian then they can claim against your TAC.

NoBody
6th August 2012, 10:53 AM
That sounds fair enough. Driving around uninsured is considered a crime here too and if one manages to cause an accident whilst driving uninsured, rest assured that they're in real big trouble at that point (and they should be).

Apart from that, insurance isn't included with the road taxes you pay here. Insurance is, just like in Australia, bound to the car, but car owners have to arrange -and pay- for it themselves. Lots of insurance companies to choose from, each with their own offerings ;-) For a somewhat regular car and driver, who hasn't been causing much damage (yet), that adds about EUR ~40-50, a month, to your total cost of ownership. Also the longer you own a car without needing the insurance, the lesser you have to pay for it.

Yeah but the Road Tax will be offset by cheaper fuel as a similar thing happens in New Zealand.

One would indeed expect that, but in most of Europe, NL included, diesel costs about the same (currently EUR 1,40 a litre), yet in other European countries they don't pay as much road taxes as we do. Not by far, even :icon_bonk:

For Petrol you pay about EUR 1,80 a litre, which is more expensive than in most of Europe (most of the world, even...).

Note that in Australia there is a MOUNTAIN of tax on Fuel both Diesel, Petrol ad LPG. State, Federal and also the real Gem GST on every litre. Dump allot of that and I'd happily pay a Road tax in Lieu. Maybe they can figure out a way of charging push Bike riders a Road tax too. ;)

The GST alone would equate to More than the Road Tax noted above i reckon
I'd be more than happy to trade taxes ;-)

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2012, 11:19 AM
Wow the FUel is expensive but the diesel is about the same i think not withstanding teh exchange rate though.

The TAC insurance is not vehicle insurance or property damage insurance or 3rd party insurance for that matter, only personal injury insurance and is built into the yearly registration of the car (about 50% of the cost of rego) We pay about $650 a year to the Government for Vehicle Registration and car insurance from a private provider on top of that.

Insurance for a Nissan Patrol will be anywhere from $800 per year for a rating 1 40 year old in a GUIV worth $40k to $2,500 for an 18 year old on provisional license for a GQ worth 10k! Glad i'm not a young buck any more. Insane!

Winnie
6th August 2012, 11:25 AM
I pay around $1800 per year for my GQ insured for $10k with a $1500 excess if I have to make a claim, I'm 19 on P2 license. Rego has gone up this financial year to I believe $695
Insurance company rang me the other day to tell me that my insurance was almost expired (still has 3 months lol) and that when it comes time to re-insure it that they could not cover it for $10,000. Quickly told them to shove it where the sun don't shine and that I'd go to someone else and they changed their mind then.

NoBody
6th August 2012, 11:38 AM
Then road taxes don't even differ that much between our countries, I guess. Very interesting to learn about such things :)

MudRunnerTD
6th August 2012, 12:06 PM
I pay around $1800 per year for my GQ insured for $10k with a $1500 excess if I have to make a claim, I'm 19 on P2 license. Rego has gone up this financial year to I believe $695
Insurance company rang me the other day to tell me that my insurance was almost expired (still has 3 months lol) and that when it comes time to re-insure it that they could not cover it for $10,000. Quickly told them to shove it where the sun don't shine and that I'd go to someone else and they changed their mind then.

Yeah but yours is the Party Bus Kris ;)

taslucas
6th August 2012, 12:37 PM
We are different from state to state in Australia. Tasmanian registration is cheaper. My 91 GQ petrol wagon is around $550 a year. This includes TAC or MAIB as it's called in tas.) My insurance covers my patrol up to $9000 which is market value. (or a few million in public liability) and is around $480 a year for full comprehensive cover with ANY driver.

Winnie
6th August 2012, 12:40 PM
I got quoted market value of $4000!!!!!! Who are you insured with?

taslucas
6th August 2012, 12:58 PM
I got quoted market value of $4000!!!!!! Who are you insured with?

CGU Through mystate financial(my bank)
Did you tell them it was a Ti?

Winnie
6th August 2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah I did and they didn't wanna have a bar of it until I told them I'd go somewhere else.

NoBody
7th August 2012, 07:27 AM
Does age also matter when registering a car? Perhaps that could explain something, in case your ages differ :P

taslucas
7th August 2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah age and Gender make a big difference. But the "market value" should be the same.