PDA

View Full Version : 10w solar panel charging

Maxhead
26th September 2021, 01:51 PM
I’m sure I seen it here somewhere but couldn’t find it now…lol

I want to keep my tractor and car batteries topped up at the farm so my question is can I hook up a 10w panel unregulated straight to the battery and leave for extended periods of time to keep my batteries charged?

I’m happy to use a regulator if it’s necessary

This is the panel

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-10W-Solar-Panel-Battery-Charger-Power-Charging-Caravan-Camping-Kit-/253472744942?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimE
26th September 2021, 02:31 PM
This Jaycar (https://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-10w-solar-panel-with-clips/p/ZM9051) one would suggest that it would be OK unregulated.

MB
26th September 2021, 03:10 PM
I’ve got quite a few 20W unregulated Jaycar ones too around the property Krisso Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
There is a thread somewhere on here where Gurus like ET & PeeBee kindly ok’d the idea but did suggest I should go bigger than 10W in the darker valley areas.
All still working fine, haven’t lost a battery since [emoji120]

Maxhead
26th September 2021, 03:56 PM
I’ve got quite a few 20W unregulated Jaycar ones too around the property Krisso Mate [emoji106][emoji106]
There is a thread somewhere on here where Gurus like ET & PeeBee kindly ok’d the idea but did suggest I should go bigger than 10W in the darker valley areas.
All still working fine, haven’t lost a battery since [emoji120]

Cheers mate, yeah I was looking for that thread as I remember reading something about it

pollenface
26th September 2021, 10:19 PM
You can upwards of 120ah with a blocking diode (so it doesn't back-feed at night).

I found with batteries less than 120ah the voltage would eventually get up to 15ish as the days went by, which is not ideal methinks.

Less than 120ah I would use a 5w panel.

You should choose a blocking diode which is rated 200% of the solar panels short circuit current (isc).

Maxhead
27th September 2021, 07:52 AM
You can upwards of 120ah with a blocking diode (so it doesn't back-feed at night).

I found with batteries less than 120ah the voltage would eventually get up to 15ish as the days went by, which is not ideal methinks.

Less than 120ah I would use a 5w panel.

You should choose a blocking diode which is rated 200% of the solar panels short circuit current (isc).

They are just cranking batteries not deep cycle.
Ranging from 400cca to 800cca
Just needed something simple to keep them topped up while I’m away
The deep cycles I have running through a reg.

PeeBee
27th September 2021, 09:57 AM
1) the panels are rated at 1000/m2 solar density
2)Australia only gets a max of 600w/m2 in the very best of locations, and you need a solar tracker to ensure the panel is aligned with the sun for max absorbtion, which you wont have
3) couple these two parameters together and you are probably getting 6/10 on panel rating for 2-3 hrs/day = 6w =0.5amps for 3hrs, = total 1.5amps trickle feed
You wont need a regulator for this.
I have a 6a/hr battery being trickle fed with 20w of solar panel, been that way for 13 yrs, still good as gold.

Maxhead
27th September 2021, 10:26 AM
Thanks Phil

I’ve lost too many batteries over time

pollenface
27th September 2021, 10:23 PM
They are just cranking batteries not deep cycle.

the size still matters

MB
30th September 2021, 07:53 PM
For the life of me I can’t find that original thread Gents but have no doubt that Pollenface Mate is onto something known also we should consider.
IIRC in the other thread my initial concern on a deeper/shadier gully diesel dam pump battery was when I found it swollen/dead which I assumed was the 5W super cheapo solar panel over charging it unregulated.
As it was completely caput I couldn’t test it for being overcharged but was kindly enlightened that over winter it had not received enough charge and calcium (i think educated) build up was the cause of the expansion🥲
My tractor circa 800cca lead acid battery hasn’t faulted for years now with its 20w Jaycar in the most direct sunlight panel position possible on the block but it also has a fairly decent parasitic drain coming from the starter motor diodies too I believe which may negate overcharging possibly?

MB
30th September 2021, 08:04 PM
AB’s old FJ45 uterus with a circa 800cca lead acid also parks up in our coupe with a 20w Jaycar jobbie but also was copping heavy winch single battery drainage whilst moderate idling so maybe that could be a factor too?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/09/149.jpg

We generally leave the panel connected/wedged on a 45 degree angle [emoji424] on its bullbar [emoji23] pointing north upon weeks end.

Maxhead
1st October 2021, 06:59 AM
For the life of me I can’t find that original thread Gents but have no doubt that Pollenface Mate is onto something known also we should consider.
IIRC in the other thread my initial concern on a deeper/shadier gully diesel dam pump battery was when I found it swollen/dead which I assumed was the 5W super cheapo solar panel over charging it unregulated.
As it was completely caput I couldn’t test it for being overcharged but was kindly enlightened that over winter it had not received enough charge and calcium (i think educated) build up was the cause of the expansion🥲
My tractor circa 800cca lead acid battery hasn’t faulted for years now with its 20w Jaycar in the most direct sunlight panel position possible on the block but it also has a fairly decent parasitic drain coming from the starter motor diodies too I believe which may negate overcharging possibly?

Yeah, I think pollenface could be right so I bought two 5w Jaycar jobbies for the small capacity batteries and I’ll use the 10w for the bigger batteries.

I’m the same mate, just can’t find the other thread. There was one that chrisso started but that’s all I can find!

Maxhead
1st October 2021, 07:01 AM
AB’s old FJ45 uterus with a circa 800cca lead acid also parks up in our coupe with a 20w Jaycar jobbie but also was copping heavy winch single battery drainage whilst moderate idling so maybe that could be a factor too?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/09/149.jpg

We generally leave the panel connected/wedged on a 45 degree angle [emoji424] on its bullbar [emoji23] pointing north upon weeks end.

The 45 is looking much better then last time we seen it.
…..and no one is pissing on it.lol