PDA

View Full Version : Refueling issue

Josh Cox
5th August 2021, 08:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I have just received my new Series 5 Ti.

When I refuel it to the brim at the petrol station, drive 3kms home. The next day, the fuel has dropped quite considerably. I refuel it by jerry can and it will take nearly an entire 20 litre jerry can before fuel is again visible at the fill point.

No visible leaks, no leaks on the floor.

There is no way I am using 20 litres in 3km.

Why is the pump at the petrol station not filling to capacity (what is blocked) ?

The Nissan Mechanics training manual states that there are two fuel tanks, what is the capacity of the smaller tank ?

Love the new car (Manta cat back :)), a massive improvement on my 2017 79 series, Toyota can EABD.

MudRunnerTD
5th August 2021, 08:38 PM
Id say an airlock mate. Congrats on the purchase. I have one on a boat now. Can't wait.

Avo do you have this issue?

mudski
5th August 2021, 08:39 PM
Your Patrol is rooted. Better give it to me and you can have my decked out TD42 GU as a fair trade. As hard as it is for me, I am willing to help another out.

the evil twin
6th August 2021, 02:58 PM
Known issue with some Y62's in all series IE 1 thru 5.

My S4 didn't have the problem (neither does my neighbours S4) and his and mine would take a full fuel load every fill but other people on various forums seem to have an issue with the last 10 or 20 litres every time.

The main is 100 litres and the aux in the aussie version is 40 litres.
The aux is "back filled" from the single filler after the main is full and opinion varies as too why some vehicles have the issue and some do not.

04OFF
6th August 2021, 09:09 PM
Never had the issue in my S5, but i don't run it down to empty and try to fill in one go either, it is common knowledge that this is a problem for many people, but ive not yet seen or heard of a solution, so not until everyone complains, will Nissan take any notice, and even then, i doubt they will do anything, 62s are far from perfect, and Nissan are not real great at looking after customers problems, lucky the 62 does not have heaps of issues, but honestly don't expect much help , especially in these covid times.:smile:

the evil twin
7th August 2021, 09:00 PM
FWIW... as a "daily driver" and not touring or playing... I always fill my vehicles and drive them until less than a 1/4 tank remains then fill it again IE I don't put in say $50 or random amounts

When I first got my S4 (and before i had even heard there was a filling issue for some) I did the following.
Topped it off at the local servo, ran it down till 136 litres used on the scan gauge, filled it and noted it took 134 litres to "first click".
The low fuel warning came on at 104 litres used on the Scan Gauge (approx 35 litres remaining)
From then on I used to drive until below a 1/4 tank and refuel next cheap fuel day so usually took on 110 to 120 occasionally 130 litres.

In all the time I had the vehicle the scan gauge fuel used figure versus what the bowser dispensed never varied by more than a couple of litres.

The plumbing for the aux tank is a bastard to get at apparently but logic dictates that either the rate the fuel can enter/leave the aux tank from/to the main or the rate the air can enter/leave the aux breather must be restricted on some vehicles for whatever reason.
The first issue would mean fuel would be slow to fill the aux, the latter means a back pressure would exist

Why they don't all do it is indeed a mystery

Avo
7th August 2021, 09:59 PM
It's the most shittiest fuel system I have come across....trying to do 1200 or 1600km in a day at best your guessing....but the light supposedly comes on when there's 40ltr left,so the only real way is knowing your fuel consumption...so if you run ya tank low you can't even get a real ltr to km ratio....from.qhat I'm led to believe the fuel line is small so if you fill up at a pump that pumps fast,doesn't drain to the usage tank...
Someone needs to design a bigger fuel.line between the 2 tanks cause that's the only problem

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

MB
7th August 2021, 10:28 PM
FWIW: Our old GQ ute runs a circa 150L+ ish finally calculated gravity fed hard up under tray auxiliary tank down to its rear OEM circa 85L ish tank?
Approximately a 3/4” ID aftermarket line for about 1.0Lm between the two (almost level base to top…..20mm gravity fall) and I still do have to pause for approximately 5 seconds at pump full, at least half a dozen times on a car bowser low flow line. Patience is key for me with a keen ear on gurgles if I need maxxxx distance [emoji106][emoji106]

EDIT: OEM Breathers are all properly routed up top too and clear to window line single cab fill point, it’s just a time/patience E=Mb2 thingy….gurgle gurgle [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avo
7th August 2021, 11:26 PM
FWIW: Our old GQ ute runs a circa 150L+ ish finally calculated gravity fed hard up under tray auxiliary tank down to its rear OEM circa 85L ish tank?
Approximately a 3/4” ID aftermarket line for about 1.0Lm between the two (almost level base to top…..20mm gravity fall) and I still do have to pause for approximately 5 seconds at pump full, at least half a dozen times on a car bowser low flow line. Patience is key for me with a keen ear on gurgles if I need maxxxx distance [emoji106][emoji106]

EDIT: OEM Breathers are all properly routed up top too and clear to window line single cab fill point, it’s just a time/patience E=Mb2 thingy….gurgle gurgle [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhat patience.....we got a V8...go places fast.....if I wanted to take it slow n be patience I'd buy a 4.2

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Josh Cox
11th August 2021, 06:51 PM
Thanks folks.

Jackofjr
16th August 2021, 10:44 AM
Yes my S4 is the same never can fill it unless I top up the next day , its a PITA when going bush or remote .

Josh Cox
3rd December 2021, 01:06 PM
I've had my car in for it's first service and have identified the issue to the dealer, they asked me to get video/photo evidence of the issue, which is what I have done.

Dropped a thumb drive off to the dealer today and spoke with the workshop foreman, Nissan knows exactly what this issue is, they even sent the manager a photo of which vent pipe is bent causing the issue.

Problem is the cost, clearly a warranty issue, but the job apparently takes 20 man hours (tanks have to come out), which requires approval from above.

I'm about to head off for five weeks (caravan) so will not be able to get this fixed until early 2022, will report back.

Thus far I'd have to say I'm impressed with the level of maturity shown by Nissan in dealing with this issue.

Josh Cox
22nd January 2022, 02:24 PM
Just got back from the road trip, the fuel issue has been an absolute pain, I have just assumed the fuel tank volume is 100lts until it is fixed.

Towing my 19 foot Jayco All-Terrain (GCVM 6200kg), 19-23 lts/100 (mostly high 21's), speed limit all the way. Am very impressed with the power and fuel consumption. The Y62 Patrol is not using more fuel than my 79 Series, it is a lot nicer to drive and did I mention the power...

The transmission could really use a "Tow Mode".

Nissan Australia "accidently closed" my warranty claim over Christmas, they claim to be onto it now, local dealer rang me yesterday and wants to fix it next week, sounds like a good outcome (fingers crossed).

I'm at home with the China Virus and will not be able to get the car in for repair until late next week, there's a new season of "Ozarks" on Netflix, I'm outa here. :)

Thanks again for your help.

Jackofjr
25th January 2022, 10:19 PM
Sounds good I hope it gets sorted , let us know how it goes

Josh Cox
3rd April 2022, 06:42 PM
Update:

Nissan believe that the problem is the fuel sender is out of spec. Which may in fact also be true, when I gave them the car the computer said less than 100kms until fuel exhaustion, the trip KM/100 was about 11 km/100. When they emptied the tank there was 45 litres in the tank.

So, they emptied that car, ran it dry, put 10 litres in the car and drove it to the petrol station to fill it, at the petrol station they filled the car up and,,, ran the left hand side of my new car into a bollard, that's right, a steel pole.

Lots of backwards and forwards, initially they said it was a $2,000 repair (clearly covered by their insurance), i.e a bog job. I said no to a cheap repair. I applied to QCAT. Eventually Nissan Australia / the local dealer approved the repair by fitting two new doors and a new side step.

So here I am, more than two months without my car, hoping they've fixed the fuel issue...

Have been told I will be getting my car back tomorrow.

No hire / replacement car for this entire period.

What does everyone think about that ?

Avo
3rd April 2022, 09:44 PM
Your fuel light will or should come on when youbhave used 100ltr,or there is still 40ltrs left...
Tell them it's not a fuel gauge a fuel estimator at best...piss weak for a 80k something car

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Jackofjr
3rd April 2022, 10:39 PM
Well Josh that really sux , I just hope it comes back all good but the the fuel sender being out of spec , are they saying that's why its not filling , nah I don't think so
Let us know how it all goes

Josh Cox
5th April 2022, 01:59 PM
Thanks gents.

The dealer sent me the time stamped fuel receipts, it would appear they are being truthful about the amount of fuel uplifted, this is encouraging.

Car did not arrive yesterday, they have promised today.

Josh Cox
5th April 2022, 05:34 PM
Not today.

Josh Cox
10th April 2022, 07:07 PM
Car arrived, seems to be working OK, although I haven't driven any distances yet.

The fuel numbers between the trip meters and fuel gauge seems to correlate a lot closer than before.

About to head off for a few days with the Caravan, this will tell if the fuel tanks fills and correlates to trip meters and fuel gauges etc.

They changed the fuel sender.

Avo
10th April 2022, 09:37 PM
Take a jerry can...

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Josh Cox
20th April 2022, 11:11 AM
Well, have done enough driving towing the caravan etc to see if the issue has been fixed.

It has NOT been fixed.

Whilst my fuel gauge is now believable, same problem, refuel to full, leave the car parked overnight, fuel gauge drops, drive 25kms, refuel and it should take less than five litres, takes over 20.

Could I risk another entanglement with my local dealer / Nissan Australia, losing my car for another extended period and more dealer initiated damage with no hire car ? A totally woeful experience.

Jackofjr
20th April 2022, 01:59 PM
Why am I not the least bit surprised that it didn't fix it . When Nissan saying the fuel sender is out of spec , yeah Nah I knew that was BS .

MB
21st April 2022, 12:04 AM
Did someone say Madagascar Line Dazman [emoji106][emoji106]

MB
22nd April 2022, 11:54 PM
Honestly sorry to hear Josh Mate!
Hope you get a Nissan FOC resolution ASAP [emoji120][emoji120]
In all fairness to every vehicle manufacturer out there, never fully rely on their fuel gauges (even old school analoguies) as their earth/dash wires can play bumpy havoc later in life.
Even if Mr/Mrs/Whatever Nissan finally fixes your debacle Mate, please do learn your trucks range, on tow, off tow, hills, highway, headwinds etc.etc….
When technology clusters fail, you’ll still be at the Helm with Full Confidence [emoji106][emoji106]

Josh Cox
27th June 2022, 07:08 PM
It is remarkable, every single Y62 owner I have spoken to has this exact problem.

Velkro
23rd July 2022, 11:58 AM
I’m a y62 owner and must admit I don’t have this issue at all. With such a big drop in capacity I’m guessing the next day your noticing your fuel gauge drop quite a lot?

Scar
28th July 2022, 02:46 PM
It is remarkable, every single Y62 owner I have spoken to has this exact problem.

I have the same issue on my S5. Nissan say “it is an inherent design feature of the Y62 due to the way fuel siphons into the auxiliary tank” Whatever that means. Real pain if you are travelling in remote areas as the distance to empty drops very quickly after filling as the tank is actually approx 20 litres below maximum. If I refill when the tank is 3/4 full it fills to the maximum and does not drop overnight.

MB
28th July 2022, 10:36 PM
Easy fix, late night posting [emoji23]
Sit back, relax, enjoy the view, let the Outback Bowser click say 10 times and eventually piss on your boot until you are 100% sure She is Chockers [emoji120][emoji120][emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]