PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Fuel Additives

pollenface
3rd August 2021, 10:09 PM
What's the consensus these days on fuel additives?

I have a work mate who is swearing by Proma DT5 in his ranger. I've never really delved into additives. What are the thoughts on this forum?

Sprock
3rd August 2021, 10:16 PM
There was a discussion on here somewhere way back about adding oil to the fuel for better / quieter start up on 4.2s ( I think )

pollenface
3rd August 2021, 10:33 PM
I used to do the oil thing in my bravo b2500 until reading somewhere about some testing which showed damage to injector nozzles perceiveably caused by the zinc in the 2t oil. The economy was caused by less fuel coming out of the injector as a result.

mudski
4th August 2021, 08:14 AM
The only time you'd need/ should run additives is if your fuel tank has water, algae, bad fuel etc in it. No reason otherwise too in my opinion. Also the 2T thing does work on the older diesels, I wouldn't be doing thing on a common rail engine personally...

PeeBee
4th August 2021, 09:27 AM
Or heading up above the snow line to camp in sub zero for a couple of days, anti waxing or winter mix additive for sure.

Rossco
4th August 2021, 10:10 AM
Or heading up above the snow line to camp in sub zero for a couple of days, anti waxing or winter mix additive for sure.Haha yeah for sure, even tho still freezes at your extreme camps [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Hodge
4th August 2021, 10:26 AM
Fuel doctor every second tank or so in my Patrol.
Great stuff I think. Our diesel mechanic at work cut open fuel filters over a period of few years from several vehicles and as time went on the filters came off cleaner each time after starting to use the stuff.
I also add it to Jerry cans of 2t/4t around home . Preserves the fuel.
I add a bit of Castrol Active 2t to the Patrol too.
Definitely makes the TD smoother, especially in cooler months...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

pollenface
5th August 2021, 12:21 PM
A bit of reading around the net, Fuel Doctor sounds like the preferred choice.

My mate started using Proma DT5 as a way to stop his ranger smoking (from new).