PDA

View Full Version : New winch needed or not??

jay see
13th July 2021, 01:30 PM
My winch has developed a fault. It sometimes works and sometimes not. When it's not working I can hear the solenoid clicking, but that's it nothing is moving.

Should I take it out, open the electrical side and clean all the contacts before refitting or buy a new bare unit.

I've recently brought new quality rope and hook, it also runs an Albright solenoid. The winch is a old t-max.

Suggestions please...

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

mudski
13th July 2021, 02:22 PM
Check that all the connections to the motor itself are clean and tight. If they are, remove the motor and see if it runs off the winch. Quite possible the motor is cactus.

MB
13th July 2021, 07:13 PM
What Mark Mate kindly said above would be my first point of quick high load/earth connections check too John Mate [emoji106][emoji106]

FWIW: Our winches/wiring are certainly out front coping the full brunt of all crud on tracks and later parked up in the stagnant elements for additional potential connection corrosion too [emoji51]
Dielectric grease I use on my winches connections after scrub downs although I believe PeeBee has an ever better protection’Aluminium’ based goo I think maybe[emoji848]?

EDIT: …..after ‘terminals’ remove/reinstall “scrub downs” in between…..not slapping over the top [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
13th July 2021, 08:10 PM
I use Aliminox D-ALM325G. Its a high performance conductor and inhibits joint corrosion by keeping the moisture/air out at the interface of the surfaces. Its designed for compression joints, not simply a slap on over the top to keep the liquid out. I have the 325g tube, which will do a heap of joints. Its distributed by Performance Line Products, 02 8805 0000, 190 Power street Glendenning NSW 2741

MB
13th July 2021, 08:49 PM
Well Done Philstar Legend Mate [emoji120][emoji120]
FWIW: In theory John Mate, you could also test your winch motor +/- windings by way of old school jumper cables wherever Sheep Yards may be [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

jay see
13th July 2021, 09:28 PM
Cheers gents.

I did give it a bit of a feel around the cables and they seemed ok, but I will undo, clean and refit them.

I have no idea how old it is, but I'm guessing at least 10 years, if its time for a new one what are the recommendation/requirements.

Ironman
Mean mother
Ridge Ryder
Runva
??????

SPECIFICATIONS
Minimum 9500 lb ???
Motor kw/hp ???
I see the warranty is varying from some having 1 year electrical warranty and limited 3 year on mechanical and others have 5 year electrical, limited lifetime mechanical, but this based on price.

Is anyone using any of the above mentioned?

mudnut
13th July 2021, 09:48 PM
If you have to get a new winch, make sure it has a warranty that isn't made void due to the unit being submerged. Also check that the first stage gearing is made of steel, not cast as part of the aluminium case. The Braking system needs to be more substantial than the one Aldi and some other winches use. You also need to check that the anchor point for the rope is better than just a small bolt holding a crimped lug.

MB
13th July 2021, 09:52 PM
Runva seems to get a lot of votes here and elsewhere as a very fair deal, bang for buck John Mate. Cold water ingress betterer heat/sealed I believe owners swear by from reading only and priced reasonably for above budget yet near gnarlier needs potential IIRC ?

jay see
13th July 2021, 10:57 PM
Thoughts on this, about $300 less compared to a complete one.

https://www.toughtoys.com.au/products/runva-winches-runva-11xp-premium-12v-bare-winch-full-ip67-protection-bare11xpprem12v/

Hodge
13th July 2021, 11:01 PM
Runva all the way.

Stay away from Carbon is all I will recommend.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mudnut
13th July 2021, 11:19 PM
I did read that the Runvas have a braking mech in the gearbox, not inside the spool.

jay see
13th July 2021, 11:24 PM
Runva all the way.

Stay away from Carbon is all I will recommend.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalkhttps://www.productreview.com.au/listings/carbon-winch-12k-12000lb-electric-winch-with-synthetic-rope

Check out the last review and photos.[emoji33]

jay see
13th July 2021, 11:31 PM
I did read that the Runvas have a braking mech in the gearbox, not inside the spool.Yeah, they call it a ratchet system. It's to prevent heat from a traditional drum brake.

Hodge
14th July 2021, 07:17 AM
https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/carbon-winch-12k-12000lb-electric-winch-with-synthetic-rope

Check out the last review and photos.[emoji33]

Sent from my CPH1979 using TapatalkIf I showed you and told you my recent experience with them. You wouldn't believe me.
I won't drag names through mud on here.
But like I said , I recommend you steer clear.
Check your PM .

mudnut
14th July 2021, 11:03 AM
Do tell, Hodge.

jay see
17th July 2021, 02:26 PM
Ok.
I've disconnected everything going to the solenoid, the neg and the red terminal from the winch do its free on any power. Then I connected a battery, neg to neg on winch and positive to red on winch. Got a little spark on contact, but no movement at all. Am I doing this correct??

While all connected to the external battery it goes from 12.2v - 6.0v. is there not enough juice in the battery to get it moving or is the winch dead??

jay see
17th July 2021, 02:46 PM
I think is safe to say that it's dead, If I have done this right.

Tried it again, but this time connected to the car battery and engine running, no difference.

Now if I get a bare winch I run all my existing cables, solenoid and rope everything should fit just a remove and replace yeah....

EDIT....

And I also connected a cable (the brown one in the pic) from the red terminal to the yellow one with no difference.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/85.jpg

PeeBee
17th July 2021, 05:49 PM
jaysee have a look at this test method, will work for in vehicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKrseTT1a484051

jay see
17th July 2021, 06:25 PM
jaysee have a look at this test method, will work for in vehicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxKrseTT1a484051Cheers pb

Looks like I had the power on the wrong terminal.

And of course before I put the bar back on I gave it a go and it worked, not everytime I hit the switch, but it did work and then when it's all put back together, it doesn't work.[emoji848]

I pretty sure that the motor works, it's just that it doesn't work everytime the switch is pushed [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

mudnut
17th July 2021, 06:51 PM
Is it a wireless controller, or the cable unit? Maybe a wire is loose inside the control box.

jay see
17th July 2021, 07:13 PM
Neither, in cab. I can hear the solenoid clicking even when the motor isn't moving

mudnut
17th July 2021, 07:24 PM
Maybe the solenoid contacts have carbon on them, or have been misshapen by excessive heat.

jay see
17th July 2021, 09:01 PM
Maybe the solenoid contacts have carbon on them, or have been misshapen by excessive heat.Maybe...

I got no f@#ken idea.

PeeBee
17th July 2021, 10:08 PM
jaysee, its only on the wrong terminal when you let the smoke out! Looks like just another small problem to resolve, good luck.

jay see
18th July 2021, 03:27 PM
Did some more testing today.

1st.
I tested as per the video that pb put up and no difference.

2nd
I tested the solenoid.

Hope it makes sense.

Conclusion. Which runva to get..http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/93.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/94.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/95.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/96.jpghttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/07/97.jpg

Brissieboy
19th July 2021, 09:56 AM
If you are satisfied that it is the contactor/solenoid, I have this Warn one that you can have if it is suitable. It is out of a 10,000lb unit that the gears failed after only a couple of minor uses but a lot of water ingress into the winch (but not the controller).84053

jay see
19th July 2021, 01:13 PM
If you are satisfied that it is the contactor/solenoid, I have this Warn one that you can have if it is suitable. It is out of a 10,000lb unit that the gears failed after only a couple of minor uses but a lot of water ingress into the winch (but not the controller).84053Thanks Brissie, but I think I'll be going a new everything..

Hodge
19th July 2021, 02:23 PM
I have the 13XP premium which are low in stock everywhere from what I understand. Great bit of kit.
But 11 should suffice too .
Look at the specs on the website and make a call from there.

mudnut
19th July 2021, 03:44 PM
If you are going to get rid of your current winch, and control gear, maybe at a meet up, I can grab it off you for a price and have a go repairing it. I've wanted to tear down a Runva to see how different it is from my Aldi unit.

jay see
20th July 2021, 07:54 AM
I have the 13XP premium which are low in stock everywhere from what I understand. Great bit of kit.
But 11 should suffice too .
Look at the specs on the website and make a call from there.

I sent runva an email asking if the 13xp would fit with my Raslarr bar.

Thank you for getting in touch.

I don’t think the 13XP Premium will fit unfortunately. The 11XP Premium will however fit perfectly and a great option for a GU patrol.

Is it correct that you the winch capacity should be double the weight of the car?

If you are going to get rid of your current winch, and control gear, maybe at a meet up, I can grab it off you for a price and have a go repairing it. I've wanted to tear down a Runva to see how different it is from my Aldi unit.

I'll probably keep the solenoid as a spare, I didn't think that there's anything wrong with it and the rope as it's only been used to pull out a couple of yaccas, but you're welcome to the winch for nothing.

I know a few years back the ALDI winch was the same as the Ironman. My current one is a t-max winch the runva is what I'm going to replace it with.

mudnut
20th July 2021, 02:23 PM
Cheers. Now have another excuse for a meet up. Where at? Mt Cole, Wombat or Talarook ..."

jay see
21st July 2021, 11:25 PM
Cheers. Now have another excuse for a meet up. Where at? Mt Cole, Wombat or Talarook ..."For sure we once we're at of lockdown.
We're you located? If it's going to be tracks, I'll like a working winch or we could just camp. I'm sure we can get a few guys to join..

Hodge
22nd July 2021, 09:40 AM
For sure we once we're at of lockdown.
We're you located? If it's going to be tracks, I'll like a working winch or we could just camp. I'm sure we can get a few guys to join..

Sent from my CPH1979 using TapatalkI'm in.

mudnut
22nd July 2021, 11:22 AM
Mt Cole is an excellent place. There is plenty of free camping but I have stayed on the Ballarat side of the park a few years ago. I didn't book the site and and the system has changed.