PDA

View Full Version : Front slotted brake rotors - which ones?

jff45
8th July 2021, 08:18 AM
I'm looking at rejuvenating brakes after 20 years and searching around I see quite a few people like the RDA slotted & dimpled type but I don't really see the need for dimpled with today's non-asbestos pads.
I like the look of the DBA T2 slotted only discs which are about $100 dearer but I suspect that's because of Australian wages.

I never did my brake lines when I lifted the Patrol 80mm so I have a set of braided extended lines turning up today. I have Yellowstuff EBC pads already in the front that aren't very old so I won't change those.

Touses
8th July 2021, 08:31 AM
I'm looking at rejuvenating brakes after 20 years and searching around I see quite a few people like the RDA slotted & dimpled type but I don't really see the need for dimpled with today's non-asbestos pads.
I like the look of the DBA T2 slotted only discs which are about $100 dearer but I suspect that's because of Australian wages.

I never did my brake lines when I lifted the Patrol 80mm so I have a set of braided extended lines turning up today. I have Yellowstuff EBC pads already in the front that aren't very old so I won't change those.

Hi John,
I punted for the DBA slots, Made a fair difference, less overshooting corners, fewer skidmarks on the passenger seat.
Be interested in your opinion re braided lines,

jff45
8th July 2021, 09:14 AM
I’m expecting the braided lines to give a slightly firmer pedal but mainly because the original rubber lines are now 20 years old.
At a guess, I’d say new rubber lines would probably feel better too but then I wouldn’t be able to say “I’ve got braided lines” :)

Cuppa
8th July 2021, 02:25 PM
I’m expecting the braided lines to give a slightly firmer pedal but mainly because the original rubber lines are now 20 years old.
At a guess, I’d say new rubber lines would probably feel better too but then I wouldn’t be able to say “I’ve got braided lines” :)

I'll be interested too. I have the RDA slotted & dimpled with EBC Yellowstuff pads & suspect braided lines would give a better feel, but have never tried as the combo I have now seemed 'good enough' compared to the original 'deathwish' items. If the hoses need replacing, there seems little reason not go with with braided!

When I first bought our Patrol (almost 6 years old at the time) I thought the sponginess of the brakes indicated a need for the brakes to be bled. The dealer who sold me the car agreed to pay for me to take it to my local Nissan dealer. They bled them & it still felt the same. When I complained the manager got me to sit in another customers car to demonstrate 'They are all like that, Nissan consider it safer for off road use'

When I overshot a turn because the brakes couldn't slow me enough from a fairly modest speed it scared me enough to fork out for the RDA's & EBC pads - only on the front - still have the original drum brakes on the rear.

jff45
8th July 2021, 03:12 PM
I’ve ordered the DBA slotted discs from Sparesbox on eBay. They were doing 14% off so they’re $25 or so more than the RDAs.
It was mainly extended lines I wanted but braided as well, why not?

mudski
9th July 2021, 08:08 AM
I have braided lines all round and the difference alone in just these when first fitted was definitely noticeable.

I then went to TB48 route with the master cylinder, calipers and rotors (slotted) using OEM pads and when I got the Patrol engineered the comment I got back was he'd never been in a Patrol that stopped so well.

jff45
9th July 2021, 09:43 AM
I couldn't justify that kind of expense for the amount of use I give mine. I've only done 25,000 kms since I converted it to TD42T in 2015.
Also taking into consideration the way I drive now at my age :)

I found the EBC Yellowstuff pads alone made a noticeable difference.. and so they should for the price.

growler2058
10th July 2021, 04:18 PM
I’ve ordered the DBA slotted discs from Sparesbox on eBay. They were doing 14% off so they’re $25 or so more than the RDAs.
It was mainly extended lines I wanted but braided as well, why not?

I just ordered these as well. I was looking at them on eBay after reading this thread. Nekminnit email saying discount discount discount. SOLD $262. Pads next

growler2058
10th July 2021, 04:24 PM
Gee whiz! Those yellow stuff pads are freakin’ exxy $$$$$

jff45
10th July 2021, 05:12 PM
Gee whiz! Those yellow stuff pads are freakin’ exxy $$$$$

Which is why I made the comment that they should work for that price :)

jff45
10th July 2021, 05:14 PM
I just ordered these as well. I was looking at them on eBay after reading this thread. Nekminnit email saying discount discount discount. SOLD $262. Pads next

I got mine for $232.86

jff45
11th July 2021, 04:01 PM
I replaced the single rear braided line this morning and noticed that all the calipers also have a short rubber line.
Those of you who went braided, did you change the calliper lines as well? It strikes me that it would be silly not to change them all.

Hodge
11th July 2021, 04:10 PM
I replaced the single rear braided line this morning and noticed that all the calipers also have a short rubber line.
Those of you who went braided, did you change the calliper lines as well? It strikes me that it would be silly not to change them all.I have a kit sitting on the bench ,and it includes those short caliper hoses too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

jff45
11th July 2021, 08:32 PM
I have a kit sitting on the bench ,and it includes those short caliper hoses too.

I’ve been searching the subject a bit and there are those who use new rubber hoses on the front because they don’t feel comfortable with the twisting that the braided are subjected to.

MB
11th July 2021, 08:48 PM
FWIW: Non vehicular have experienced issues with steel braided covered lines having no memory when idiot twisted or impacted by Muppets [emoji2959]
Appears to steel hold its squishy injury hindering rubber lines within from returning to their natural born state?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

growler2058
12th July 2021, 07:30 AM
Which is why I made the comment that they should work for that price :)

I see good ol Bendix coming my way

jff45
12th July 2021, 07:50 AM
I see good ol Bendix coming my way

The 4.8 Nissan original pads are said to be better than Bendix but I don't know how they compare price wise.

Hodge
12th July 2021, 08:29 AM
I’ve been searching the subject a bit and there are those who use new rubber hoses on the front because they don’t feel comfortable with the twisting that the braided are subjected to.

I just went out to have a look and cannot find it any more. Unsure where the hell it went. Probably binned it at some stage.
I bought the kit many many years ago when I had the previous Patrol and never ended up fitting it. But it definitely had ALL hoses as braided included.
I'm following this thread. My Patrol definitely needs new brakes soonish, so I'm thinking of doing the front discs/pads upgrade.

A while back I was going to go the 4.8 upgrade route, but holy hell. The price and availability of those isn't great.
Patrolapart treat them like gold ingots. They just about arrive in Armaguard trucks, thats how sought after they are.

jff45
12th July 2021, 09:10 AM
At the moment I’m leaning towards all braided except for the front calipers. New rubber is probably the better option there.

Edit: I've just come across this in my research:

From Roadrunner Offroad " We will not supply the front caliper lines in Braided, Our supplier has been instructed by head office, not to produce or sell them, even if specially requested, As the line is too short and the braided line does not have as much give, it can cause the line to fail. We are able to do them on the rear though."

Edit again: Getting a bit confusing when I see that Marks 4WD sell the braided lines for the front calipers.

jff45
12th July 2021, 12:19 PM
Now I see that Roadrunner also sell the braided lines for front calipers.

mudski
12th July 2021, 10:06 PM
Those of you who went braided, did you change the calliper lines as well? It strikes me that it would be silly not to change them all.

Yes I changed all. Pointless to not in my opinion...

mudski
12th July 2021, 10:07 PM
At the moment I’m leaning towards all braided except for the front calipers. New rubber is probably the better option there.

Edit: I've just come across this in my research:

From Roadrunner Offroad " We will not supply the front caliper lines in Braided, Our supplier has been instructed by head office, not to produce or sell them, even if specially requested, As the line is too short and the braided line does not have as much give, it can cause the line to fail. We are able to do them on the rear though."

Edit again: Getting a bit confusing when I see that Marks 4WD sell the braided lines for the front calipers.

I got mine from Marks, maybe 3 or so years ago. Zero issues since...

matfew
13th July 2021, 06:33 AM
Mmm been toying with the idea of charging my brake rotors. Got the bigger gq set in the shed but thought may add well get new rotors befit I install.

Anyone has issue with cracking etc when going through river crossings? Only something I've got in my head from somewhere but dunno if it happens or not

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mudski
13th July 2021, 08:10 AM
Mmm been toying with the idea of charging my brake rotors. Got the bigger gq set in the shed but thought may add well get new rotors befit I install.

Anyone has issue with cracking etc when going through river crossings? Only something I've got in my head from somewhere but dunno if it happens or not

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ive heard that aswell. But that could happen to any rotor if its hot enough then hits the chilly mountain water.

jff45
13th July 2021, 08:17 AM
Yes I changed all. Pointless to not in my opinion...

I've been waiting for you to chime in :)

jff45
13th July 2021, 04:53 PM
I’m happy to follow the experience so I’ve ordered all braided for front and rear calipers.
The 3 main lines chassis to diff were $149 (ABS model) and the 4 lines for the calipers were $183 with a 5% code.
I won’t bother with the front until the rotors turn up.

mudski
13th July 2021, 08:29 PM
Ever thought about rebuilding the calipers while your at it? I rebuilt the TB48 calipers I bought prior to fitting, and also the rear calipers, wasn't hard to do. Also piece of mind. Plus I did find two pistons were pitted so I replaced them.

jff45
13th July 2021, 10:42 PM
Mine only have 160k.
If I’d bought 2nd hand calipers I’d look at overhauling them but they show no signs of needing attention yet.

jff45
15th July 2021, 10:43 AM
I was going through the factory BR.PDF this morning before I start changing brake stuff and noticed in the specs that there doesn’t appear to be any difference between the TB48 booster & master cylinder and the other Y61 models.

I’m happy to be corrected on this but I found it interesting in view of the recent thread on 4.8 booster and mudski mention of using a 4.8 master cylinder which had me thinking that might be an easy swap also for me but there’s apparently no difference with what I have.

Here’s a not very good shot I took with my phone of my MacBook screen

jff45
15th July 2021, 11:43 AM
Clearer pic..

mudski
15th July 2021, 02:13 PM
Going only by memory here, as it was a while ago. The TB48 m/cylinder is the same as the TD and ZD but only from a certain year, or it had something to do with ABS and no ABS or something along those lines. I really cannot remember.

jff45
16th July 2021, 01:14 PM
It was just that the specific mention that a part was TB48 made me think there was something better than the others because we know the rotors & calipers are better.

These turned up this morning, still waiting on the new braided lines for calipers.
I know they’re going to work better simply because my current rotors haven’t been skimmed in 20 years.

growler2058
16th July 2021, 01:51 PM
Mine turned up yesterday. Fastest postage yet in these covid times. Yet Coffee filter papers take 10-14 days

jff45
16th July 2021, 02:55 PM
Mine were sent via Couriers Please and I thought it was pretty good Vic to Brisbane north

Bidja
16th July 2021, 06:37 PM
G'day fellas, installed the DBA T2 slotted rotors (F&R) to my 08 GU CRD 3 yrs back and they have held up well/still run true. Changed out the OEM rotors as they started to warp and caused front end shudder (wobbles) when heavy braking down step decent into corner at speed

Running the Bendix pads HD (rear) and 4WD (front) with OEM rubber hoses / 2" lift. Find the brakes not pulling up super well (running Cooper AT3XT/33s).

Would consider trying the EBC Yellow stuff pads. When I was running M/T33s (cheapies), had heaps of issues with the ABS grabbing up front (favouring one side over the other, mainly wet blacktop (scary stuff) and on gravel as well.

Maybe I would do the braided rear lines and go the Yellow Stuff all round. Have seen some good news for running the 4.8 up front.

jff45
18th July 2021, 04:52 PM
Got the rotors done this weekend. Also did new wheel bearings but only because I’ve had them in a drawer since 2008.
Anyway, removing the old bearings lets you clean the hub properly especially the ABS teeth.
Should get the other new braided lines this week so I’ll do them all together and change all the brake fluid too.

jff45
19th July 2021, 04:13 PM
Caliper braided lines turned up and I notice that the front ones have an extra plastic layer over the stainless braid. I suppose this is designed to help with the constant flexing on the front which was the reason they weren’t initially recommended.

Bidja
19th July 2021, 05:29 PM
Maybe they cop more stones being thrown at them too!! steering

jff45
19th July 2021, 07:07 PM
Bidja, question for you, did you retain the thin steel plates behind the yellow EBC pads on the front ? The EBC pads have a soft layer of something on the back of the pads and I’m wondering what that’s for.
I fitted them with mine and refitted them when I swapped the rotors but it occurred to me that they help push the piston back very slightly which adds pedal travel.

Bidja
19th July 2021, 08:01 PM
John, I have the Bendix pads F/R and these replaced the original OEM pads that were on since new.

jff45 The brass shim plates (those fitted to OEM pads), as I understand are for anti rattle/vibration prevention. From memory, the Bendix pads had Noise absorbing shims attached so I did not use the OEM plates.

Guess the EBC have similar (specific to application) and if that is the steel plates you reference _ I would use those supplied only.

John

Edit: Nissan shims may be steel as well (would think so_did not check)

mudski
19th July 2021, 09:17 PM
Caliper braided lines turned up and I notice that the front ones have an extra plastic layer over the stainless braid. I suppose this is designed to help with the constant flexing on the front which was the reason they weren’t initially recommended.

Yeah mine have that too.

jff45
19th July 2021, 09:42 PM
I mean the original thin plates fitted from factory. The EBC have a black substance that I think is probably meant to be used like that without the shims.

Here’s a pic of EBC pads, not Patrol but same coating.
I’ll take my shims out when I do the front caliper lines to see how it goes.

Bidja
19th July 2021, 10:30 PM
Could seek clarification from supplier.

jff45
20th July 2021, 08:50 AM
Could seek clarification from supplier.

Ebay seller.. not much chance of getting any valid info there. I did however come across a forum where this was being discussed and it was roughly 50/50 on "I used the shims"/"I threw them away".
One comment stated they'd contacted EBC and were told the shims weren't needed unless supplied by EBC in the box.
They've been in for a couple of years with no noise so I think I'll just leave them in again and see how it all goes once I have all the braided lines in. Just waiting now on copper washers to turn up..

jff45
20th July 2021, 11:24 AM
Did I say the ECB pads had been in for a couple of years? Just checking my notes and I changed them in Sept 2017 at 149,000 kms so they’ve done almost 12,000 kms in 4 years.

Also, if you need more proof that you get sillier as you get older, I’ve just found the original OEM pad shims in a box of new Bendix front pads that I bought at the time before changing my mind and getting the ECBs.
The shims that I have in there now would have been supplied with the ECB pads so that clears that up.

Bidja
20th July 2021, 03:30 PM
Don't we save stuff just in case.. I have same box x 2, but contain both the OEM F/R used pads and shims. But they are only half worn:smiley_thumbs_up:

jff45
20th July 2021, 07:04 PM
I might be one of the worst at not throwing stuff away.
I’ve still got bits from my TB45E but I was able to give away 2 alternators. I have RE4 autos, valve bodies, a spare TC, hardly used shocks, stock springs.. who knows what else if I start opening boxes :)
At least I got to use the new wheel bearings.

Remember.. throw it away Sunday, need it Monday :)

jff45
22nd July 2021, 12:39 PM
All the braided lines are now done. I took some pics of one of the front caliper lines in 3 different positions, straight ahead, full left & full right
Full right appears to give it the most twist but the line still has plenty of give in it when moved by hand.

The pics give the impression that it’s close to the spring but it isn’t.

jff45
22nd July 2021, 02:11 PM
Also decided to change the master cylinder. The eBay offer says for TB48 with ABS but it’s the same 26.99mm as the TB45 with ABS.

jff45
26th July 2021, 04:06 PM
Swapped out the master cylinder. Thought it would be a harder job than that. Bled 600 ml of fluid through the system. Wife is getting good at this :)

So, even with all braided lines and new master cylinder there’s honestly not a big difference in pedal feel but, to be fair, I suspect it’s the ECB pads that haven’t bedded in to the new rotors yet. They would have a rippled surface from the old rotors. Same feeling you get when you fit new pads to old rotors.

Anyway, the aim was to get rid of all the 20 year old lines and master cylinder for peace of mind. The pedal was actually falling away if I pushed it a bit harder than normal.

Cost all up for new T2 slotted rotors, 7 braided lines (has ABS), new master cylinder and 1litre of Nulon brake fluid was just shy of $850 which I think is pretty good.