PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, New to forum. Need advice tracing my old Nissan Patrol

Toby2
22nd July 2011, 06:59 AM
Hi, I'm Toby. Hoping that someone can give me some good advice. My first car in 1997 was a 1960s Nissan Patrol that I bought in Sydney as a young backpacker and travelled round in it for a while. Had this vague idea of driving it back to the UK so failed on that one as ran low on money and ended up selling it to a car dealer in Cairns.

Since done quite a lot of overlanding in other vehicles including trans africa but just had this vague idea that it would be really cool if I could track it down and buy it back and do the trip. Accepting its a long shot, have no idea whether vehicle still exists, what state its in etc, anybody got any ideas on how I could try and trace it. To complicate matters, I have the reg number but as this was a NSW plate, my guess is that it would have been re-registered to a Queensland one but don't know.

Hope you can help.
Cheers Toby

Dhuck
22nd July 2011, 07:03 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. Sorry but I have no idea how you could do this. But someone may have an idea

Bigrig
22nd July 2011, 07:09 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it.

Hmmmm ... think you'd need a VIN to do a revs check (this is a real outside thought/possibility by the way) but not sure anything could be done with just a rego plate. Good luck on the hunt mate!!

Enjoy!!

MC97GQ
22nd July 2011, 08:03 AM
Hi Toby,

Welcome aboard, if you do manage to track it down and you do buy it and do the trip, make sure you keep a log of it all.

I can smell a good book deal and possible documentary in the making, would be a good story.

Mark

AB
22nd July 2011, 08:42 AM
That would be a great story mate.

As Bigrig said, you need to get the VIN number.

Why not do a search on the rego plate first and see how you go.

Not sure if there would be a function on the NSW site to somehow get the VIN number from the REGO....

Maxhead
22nd July 2011, 12:54 PM
G'Day Toby welcome to the forum mate

growler2058
22nd July 2011, 02:23 PM
Gday mate, welcome aboard theyre a good mob here full of great info and advice, just a thought would nissan know the vin of the first plate it was regd with???????? If the plate you had was orig Good luck mate

Clunk
23rd July 2011, 03:38 AM
g'day mate and welcome aboard....... best of luck with your search

zmaster
23rd July 2011, 04:10 PM
Welcome Toby,

A 1960's patrol in Queensland, hope it was bathed in lanolin!
Good luck with your search!

Zoro

big_fletch
23rd July 2011, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Fletcha

NissanGQ4.2
23rd July 2011, 08:45 PM
Welcome 2 the forum

Great bunch of guys and girls on here always willing 2 help out where they can, Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer.

Good luck with your search, I don't think knowing the old rego plate will do anything for you, do you know the vin# at all???

The only way I could see you getting the info u need 2 track down the vehicle would be

1. Pay a Private Investigator, they may be able get that info
2. Make friends with someone in the police force or RTA and offer them a bribe big enough that they could retire on.

Unfortunately registration plate lookup is not available the general public due 2 privacy issues

Cheers

Todd

Finly Owner
23rd July 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Toby, best luck with search

Tim

timbar
26th July 2011, 03:02 AM
G'day Mate - Welcome aboard join in when you are ready and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer !! Bucket loads of usefull information here plenty to read so join in meet the great bunch of guys and girls on our wonderful forum !!

You will not be disapointed !!

ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim