PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone, My son just took the plunge and got a 2003 Patrol 3ld as his 1st car

asbo
21st June 2021, 11:48 AM
This looks like a great group, I hope we can contribute as well as receive.

Apologies for starting with a question but I just got this patrol at a good price only to find a small coolant leak dripping from the compressor. The previous owner says it regular went up and down the coast so not sure how serious this is. Reading forums it looks likely to be the seal behind the timing cover. No bubbling at tank and oil is clear so it looks like just the water side affected. I have no spare cash so will need to do this myself.

Can anyone advise how many hours work and if any special tools needed or difficulties arose?. Some people say the engine has to come out but several posts say not.

All advice welcome

mudnut
21st June 2021, 01:02 PM
Welcome to the forum. Not all forum members read the intros, so I suggest you find or start a thread with your questions, to get a better response.

growler2058
21st June 2021, 01:08 PM
G'day mate, welcome aboard.
Once you've sorted the coolant leak, make sure to do the NADS as well.

Dhuck
21st June 2021, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

BrazilianY60
22nd June 2021, 11:00 AM
Welcome! Just out of curiosity, which engine would that be?

Mickhead
22nd June 2021, 05:43 PM
If its a zd30 have a look between the alternator and the engine block. Theres a 2 inch rubber hose connecting a metal heater pipe to water pump. If its leaking from here coolant will run down and drip off the ac compressor. If its not from here and you are weeping coolant at a slow rate when the engine is cold rather than pissing it all over the driveway leave it alone and top it up every service ��