PDA

View Full Version : TD42 Fuel gremlin

sussgq
19th June 2021, 10:28 PM
need some ideas please blokes.

i’ve got a random occasional power cut in my gq, which only ever happens in 3rd above 2k revs. it’s very short, longest it’s lasted is a couple seconds. definitely feels fuel related but i cannot figure it out, so far i have:

replaced fuel filter
replaced all rubber fuel line bar the short one from the tank to the hardline
binned the one way breather valve
binned a hardline in the breather line that was blocked
checked the pump for a gauze filter (which is doesn’t have)
no injectors leaking nor leaks from pump
run 2 bottles of moreys injector cleaner through it over the course of a couple months

car otherwise runs wonderfully and has plenty of grunt when you put ya foot down, isn’t hard to start cold or hot, does splutter a tiny bit sometimes on very cold mornings (-0°)

any insight or tips would be wicked cause it’s got me scratching my head

MB
19th June 2021, 10:48 PM
“Only ever happens in 3rd above 2k revs”
Apologies for quoting SussGQ Mate but is there any possible air restrictions when it’s at its peak, 3rd 2,000k - 2,800rpm I find old faithful OEM’s love to breath best maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussgq
19th June 2021, 11:07 PM
“Only ever happens in 3rd above 2k revs”
Apologies for quoting SussGQ Mate but is there any possible air restrictions when it’s at its peak, 3rd 2,000k - 2,800rpm I find old faithful OEM’s love to breath best maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wouldn’t think so, it’s 4” piping from snorkel all the way to turbo with a massive ryco filter and the cooler pipes are all 3”. it’s running 20psi so i suppose there’s a chance it could be sucking a silicone join together, although the boost doesn’t drop to 0 when it happens, just a couple of psi

sussgq
19th June 2021, 11:10 PM
also it happens before full boost is even reached, around 10-13psi

nissannewby
19th June 2021, 11:11 PM
How many kms on injector pump and engine?

sussgq
19th June 2021, 11:15 PM
How many kms on injector pump and engine?

around 215k on motor and 100 something on the pump. previous owner had it rebuilt when he installed the turbo, as well as new injectors glowplugs etc

nissannewby
19th June 2021, 11:23 PM
I know you said you checked but the little gauze filter is fairly deep in the inlet port of the injector pump. When you say it's cutting at that rpm point do you just have the pedal mashed and are accelerating hard or say just accelerating to speed with the rest of the traffic?

sussgq
19th June 2021, 11:38 PM
yeah its definitely not in there, there was no spring under the banjo bolt and i had a tiny hook all the way in hole about 50mm and nothing. it’s honestly random, sometimes it’s with foot flat sometimes its half pedal, sometimes once its at full boost sometimes when it’s only building psi. i have been told by a few blokes they actually ended up having it be a dodgy ignition relay messing around with the fuel cut solenoid so i’m checking that tomorrow

nissannewby
19th June 2021, 11:46 PM
It can also be a symptom of a worn injector pump which I wouldn't think would be the case if it was rebuilt 100k ago but then this also depends on how extensive the rebuild was on the pump. There can be wear with the transfer pump section and also the timer piston arrangement which can cause an intermittent stumble.

sussgq
19th June 2021, 11:50 PM
i was told it could definitely be pointing to this, which isn’t the end of the world as it’s not a huge issue so i can save for a new pump if i have to. although i kind of figured if the pump was worn it would be doing such in every gear? even in 5 full boot bogging up hill it won’t do it.

only other thing i can think of off the top of my head is the little rubber return from spill rail to the pump might be loose and letting air in? there’s no hose clamps on it but it doesn’t leak so i didn’t touch it