PDA

View Full Version : slight whirring noise

poopsie
20th May 2021, 08:19 PM
Hi guys poopsie here,my 2016 ls3 patrol has developed a whirring noise when clutch is released in neutral,on road at speed a slight whine can be heard.Any ideas as it has a new clutch and thrust bearing 4000kms ago.thanks.

mudnut
20th May 2021, 11:46 PM
I hope its not what happened to me years ago when two brand new thrust bearings failed within days of fitting them. We had to pull the gearbox out three times to do the job. Luckily for us it was only an XR Falcon 3 speed crunch box, but we were really pissed off. Obviously a bad batch of bearings.

Who fitted the clutch? Was the pilot bush/ bearing greased?

Also check the gearbox oil condition and level.

MB
22nd May 2021, 12:33 AM
Definitely no mechanic me Poopsie Mate but if it’s “whirring” when driven I believe the thrust bearing should be discounted?
Any chance you’ve given the LS3 a really good test run and possibly hearing our weakest link (transfer case gears) whining a wee bit? Only mention it as in a previous life my little 150rwkw 350 NA Fj40 Landcrab destroyed inferior OEM cases with whining Toyoda telltales firstly [emoji51][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poopsie
22nd May 2021, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the replies,noise seems to be eminating from the bellhousing area.So in neutral at idle when releasing clutch noise starts and goes immediatly wham clutch is pressed in.