PDA

View Full Version : can i fit original y60 gearbox to sd33t

lfs
19th July 2011, 05:39 PM
i am putting sd33t into my y60 patrol and i was wondering if the original gearbox fits the engine or maybe the transfercase can be fitted to the sd33t gearbox ! im trying to get the output centered matching the rear diff !

Finly Owner
19th July 2011, 10:24 PM
Sorry what motor are you fitting to? L28, P4......and I can see what was fitted with what.

Tim

YNOT
19th July 2011, 10:26 PM
Sorry what motor are you fitting to? L28, P4......and I can see what was fitted with what.

Tim

SD33T engine.

Tony

Finly Owner
19th July 2011, 10:51 PM
SD33T engine.

Tony
errrr derrrrr!!!!!!

Smart ain't I?.....................

I meant what motor did the box come off?

Tim

the ferret
19th July 2011, 10:58 PM
I think you will need an MQ/MK diff! maybe two!!

lfs
20th July 2011, 12:21 AM
ohh yes forgot about that sry but its from a 2.8l

Finly Owner
20th July 2011, 10:05 PM
only two transmissions were used:

F4W81A; manual

and

3N71B; automatic

before the 5 speed. So yes it should fit without any drama.

Tim

YNOT
20th July 2011, 10:09 PM
only two transmissions were used:

F4W81A; manual

and

3N71B; automatic

before the 5 speed. So yes it should fit without any drama.

Tim

Y60 2.8 gearbox was a FS5R30A.

Tony

ipatrol26
22nd July 2011, 01:52 AM
Hey buddy, I am doing the same thing but in my case I am putting a SD33 non turbo into my 1992 GQ with the original SD33 trani (k160) and everything fits just perfect the only 2 things are:

1. As you know the SD33 its not very fast but strong enough
2. The only issues is that the K160 trani as you know its transfer is to the right side and the rear diff sits in the middle so therefore my rear drive shaft its going to end up a little miss align but with a double cardan joint will resolve the issue or at least until I can get the original TD42 gear box and adapted to the SD33 or might as well buy the the original engine and gear box, but that would take some time.

I don't know if this is what you're doing but as long as you want it and believe that it can be done by searching and investigating. Yes it can be done.

lfs
23rd July 2011, 09:07 AM
ok thanks mate ive also got 1992 model but also i was thinking to put crawler gear while i am at it ;) good luck with your project ! it would be fun too see some pics..

anyway here's my patrol

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq170/capische/054.jpg

ipatrol26
23rd July 2011, 01:20 PM
!!!!!Sweet Jesus mate.... you're going all at it....look at the size of does tires, what size are they??. Wish you luck with your project as well, on the other hand mine is a slow working progress but surely. Here are some pics off of when I bought it and later on I will be uploading more as soon as this $%&$ computer lets me if you know what I mean.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6738

lfs
23rd July 2011, 10:04 PM
they are 44" boggers. i like the cromed front end are you planning on lifting it ?

ipatrol26
24th July 2011, 12:45 AM
Surely mate...I am looking to lifted 2" of body lift and another 2" in suspension and some 33" tires with procomp iron rims but as I mention "its a slow working progress" right now I got the engine and trany in just need to make new transmission mounts, other than that I got all the interior off planning actually this weekend will sand and painted with anticorrosive paint than on top of that some under coating some dynamat or fatmat, a thin layer of underfelt and finally the carpet along with new upholstered door panels.

MQ MAD
25th July 2011, 09:59 AM
Theres a bit of discussion around regarding wacking an SD33T into a GQ
Depending which country and state your in
Over in aussie, there are issues with running older engines in newer cars
So its not a common pratice
You certainlly wouldnt rip a TD42 out to put a SD33 in
Why even if you have a dead 2.8 , wouldnt you just go to a TD42 conversion ???
Diffs are where they should be,its a factory option so parts wont need to be made
Running a rear tailshaft from a centre output gearbox/transfer to a far right sided rear diff wouldnt be safe , would it
If ya wanted a centred rear diff for an MQ/MK , dont the GQ leafy have the centred rear H260 diffs ???
Should be a goer
The MK utes have the H260 rear,but of centre
Cant see an SD33T breakin one of those in a hurry
Only issue with the MK H260 diffs is the 4.88 ratio

As for a simple bolt up SD33T to GQ gearbox
Highly unlikely,maybe a new bellhousing made mite do it ???
Even tho the MK 5 speed is the same between the MK cars (The diesel and petrol)
The bellhousings are different

lfs
26th July 2011, 01:20 AM
the td42 is really hard to find her in iceland almost every nissan patrol that were imported had the week 2.8l engine. so i bought sd33t with gearboxes and got it almost for free with all new gaskets so i am going to use that engine to lower the cost of this project and for its reliability.

MQ MAD
26th July 2011, 04:46 PM
Ill throw this in the pot for ya
The sump on the TB42,(Not sure IF its the same as the 2.8 ???)
Is at the rear of the engine
The sump on the SD33, starts forward of centre of the motor and ends a few inches short of the end of the motor
This could possibly pose an issue for you
As the GQ has steering arms both the front and rear of the front diff
Where as the MQ/MK has all the steering forward of the front diff
Another thing that could be of interest is the actual front diff itself,regarding steering and sump ???
The front diff in my GQ is alot bigger than the front diff in my MK ute
These mite not help you or may slow the conversion down
Its just a few differences i noticed today when under the GQ