PDA

View Full Version : Small Part needed - can you help?

Cuppa
14th May 2021, 10:15 AM
Hi folks,

I'm in the midst of getting our car & camper ready for an extended trip up the Cape in a few weeks time, & this morning discovered that the little plastic cap which fits over the remote winch controller had split & and disintegrated when removed.

It's a standard round Warn item which fits over the connector in the pic below.

The only items I can find online are in the USA & would cost around $70 with postage(!) & wouldn't get here in time. The local ARB shop suggested I'd have to buy a complete new control box(!) & the local wreckers said I could have one if I bought a complete winch from them!

Just wondering if anyone might have one sitting around that they could post to me. Happy to pay express postage & a few bucks for the plastic cap. FWIW the Warn Part description is a 'Winch Remote Control Socket Protector', Part no 98544 (which replaced 13299) Either would do. Doesn't need to be pretty - just in one piece. Doesn't even need to have the 'tail' piece to prevent loss when removed!

Pretty please - have a look in your shed to see if you've got one gathering dust somewhere. Alternatively if you can pick one up at a local wreckers or even buy new at a reasonable cost I'd be very grateful.

TimE
14th May 2021, 11:28 AM
Try here (https://www.dnaoffroad.com.au/warn-winch-remote-control-socket-protector-98544.html) $30 plus freight. Also, as a temporary fix the cap off one of those gas canisters will fit, might need a bit of tape around the socket to help tighten up the fit, but in a pinch will do. Simple red neck fix is cover with some duct tape!

Plasnart
14th May 2021, 11:54 AM
Cuppa, I'll pop the rivets and express post this to you today. PM me details mate.

Hodge
14th May 2021, 11:54 AM
Worst case scenario Cuppa...
Get rid of it, and hard-wire the corresponding wires together...

Another option is, install a Wireless unit in the box with a remote. They're cheap as chips. And they all follow the same protocol. Usually 4 wires.

Cuppa
14th May 2021, 01:35 PM
Cuppa, I'll pop the rivets and express post this to you today. PM me details mate.

Excellent! Thanks Plassy. PM on it's way.

Cuppa
14th May 2021, 02:02 PM
Worst case scenario Cuppa...
Get rid of it, and hard-wire the corresponding wires together...

Another option is, install a Wireless unit in the box with a remote. They're cheap as chips. And they all follow the same protocol. Usually 4 wires.

Thanks Hodge. Getting to the wires would be a bit of a mission. The control box top is flush with the top of the bullbar, so I'm guessing it would mean having to pull off the bullbar, not easy witha bad back & no workshop. I did think about getting a wireless remote when we were back in Broome & discovered the original wired controller had gone bung, but at the time forked out the pot of gold necessary to get a new Warn replacement. Perhaps that was a mistake. With the wireless controllers does the transmitter remain plugged in to that connector on top of the control box permanently?

Cuppa
14th May 2021, 02:07 PM
Try here (https://www.dnaoffroad.com.au/warn-winch-remote-control-socket-protector-98544.html) $30 plus freight. Also, as a temporary fix the cap off one of those gas canisters will fit, might need a bit of tape around the socket to help tighten up the fit, but in a pinch will do. Simple red neck fix is cover with some duct tape!

Thanks TimE, I did see that after I posted, but thought $42 for a plastic cap, even though the cheapest I've seen, was still pretty rich for a plastic cap. Was headed in the redneck direction but then Plassy came to the rescue.

Hodge
14th May 2021, 02:15 PM
Thanks Hodge. Getting to the wires would be a bit of a mission. The control box top is flush with the top of the bullbar, so I'm guessing it would mean having to pull off the bullbar, not easy witha bad back & no workshop. I did think about getting a wireless remote when we were back in Broome & discovered the original wired controller had gone bung, but at the time forked out the pot of gold necessary to get a new Warn replacement. Perhaps that was a mistake. With the wireless controllers does the transmitter remain plugged in to that connector on top of the control box permanently?Fair enough mate sounds like you got it sorted. Legendary forum members to rescue ! Plasnart hats off to you fella !

But are you not going to need to take the lid off the solenoid box to fit the plastic female plug anyway, in order to access wiring ??
I thought they come prewired ...

Photo example.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/05/116.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Cuppa
14th May 2021, 04:08 PM
Fair enough mate sounds like you got it sorted. Legendary forum members to rescue ! Plasnart hats off to you fella !

But are you not going to need to take the lid off the solenoid box to fit the plastic female plug anyway, in order to access wiring ??
I thought they come prewired ...

No, it's only the cover(cap) I need. It may need the box to be removed to use the 'tether' strap on the cover. I'll have a look to see if it's possible to get the lid off without removing the bullbar, but if not possible I'll just cut the tether off. The cover (cap) should stay on ok, just need to remember to put it in a pocket when using the winch. :)

Would just like to say thanks again to Plassy, it's already on it's way to me. It's this sort of community spirit which makes the forum a keeper.

MudRunnerTD
14th May 2021, 07:09 PM
Honestly, I would buy a roll of Gaffa tape and put tape straight over the top of it. Black gaffa. 300mm length. Top of box, over plug, bottom of box. Drive on.

When you are ready or have more time junk that whole thing and install the solenoid under the bonnetand that plug in your grill.

Have a great trip mate. Lucky Bustard..

paulyg
15th May 2021, 08:57 AM
I had a similar problem with my winch, I just removed the plug and made it wireless, with a cheap ebay kit, works great.

Cuppa
19th May 2021, 05:50 PM
Fixed with thanks to Plasnart & the forum. Getting the control box out was a total bastard, the hole in the bull bar is pretty much the same as the top of the control box BUT the four sides of the control box taper out toward the bottom. Ingenuity, brute force & persistence paid off though. A few sparks alerted me to the need to disconnect the battery! Tested the winch after job was complete with crossed fingers. All good. Phew!

Supplementary Question The control box clearly isn't watertight. How come things don't go pear shaped when I drive through water?

Cuppa
20th May 2021, 10:03 AM
Any comments on the 'supplementary question'? ;)

PeeBee
20th May 2021, 10:08 AM
The solenoids are a crimp fit assy, so will take a mild dunking, but if you submerge them for an extended period, say 30 mins (as has happened to me when I had a Warn High Mount, they seep water and thats the end of them. You can add a bit of protection with silastic, but thats about it

mudnut
20th May 2021, 11:25 AM
Cuppa, I have used a proper waterproof electrical Junction box mounted near the passenger side firewall. It means longer leads, but negates any sort of damage by a front end collision, too.

Cuppa
20th May 2021, 12:11 PM
Thanks Peebee & Mudnut. Have been through plenty of water crossings without a problem. When I found the box was unsealed yesterday, & I inadvertantly earthed something & got some momentary sparks I wondered why water would not complete a circuit, potentially operating the winch (it obviously doesn't or I would have discovered that by now) - or indeed if ever needing to winch out of water whether the water in the control box would prevent use of the winch.

If I ever remove the cover again I'll use silastic when re-fitting it.

PeeBee
20th May 2021, 12:28 PM
Thanks Peebee & Mudnut. Have been through plenty of water crossings without a problem. When I found the box was unsealed yesterday, & I inadvertantly earthed something & got some momentary sparks I wondered why water would not complete a circuit, potentially operating the winch (it obviously doesn't or I would have discovered that by now) - or indeed if ever needing to winch out of water whether the water in the control box would prevent use of the winch.

If I ever remove the cover again I'll use silastic when re-fitting it.

Sorry Cuppa, I am referring to the solenoid cans only. You could pour 1kg of silastic into the big plastic box and still not seal it! If you are looking for a better system, go the solid state sealed units. There are a range of different chinese knock offs and some more expensive un its for higher duty points and maybe quality.

MB
22nd May 2021, 01:21 AM
UK- Albright Sealed Gents [emoji106][emoji106]

https://www.the4wdshed.com/albright-solenoid-12v

https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/dc88-1012pl-ho-hi-output-albright-solenoid-12v-sup

Competition Proven and FWIW out front they do handle the elements just fine, in fact, the closer they are wired to your winch motor the least amount of amperage drop the better.......mythbusted by our member mate on his and mine matfew (Industrial Sparky) [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
22nd May 2021, 02:22 AM
FWIW: The sole reason 4WD Action TV took 3 days to pass through Tasmania’s ‘Thousand Dollar Twack’ was inferior winches [emoji23]
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/05/145.jpg

3 x Patrols smashed it in 6 hours with bulletproof Albright’s out front [emoji120][emoji106]

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/05/146.jpg
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/05/147.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk