PDA

View Full Version : No 3-4th in Drive after going 4wding?

stuee123
10th May 2021, 10:06 AM
Hi.
Im hoping someone can help me with suggestions, im not near a mechanic or shop to just nip it in and dont want to drive 55kmph at 3000rpm for 3hrs to the nearest place.

I have a patrol 3.0L zd30 with the auto box RE4R03A. a couple of months ago i changed the tranny oil and put in a new filter, its been fine with no issues at all. Yesterday i went out 4wheel driving with a friend, nothing serious just some water and little inclines. I put it in 4wd but never used low.
Everything was fine till i got back on the main road and started driving. It got to about 60 then when it should have gone into 3rd it seemed like it went back into first or neutral. IVe tried everything. 1st manual works, 2nd manual works and thats how i drove home in 2nd gear at 55kph.
I was hoping it was water in electrics but this morning after 15hrs its still the same :(
No check eng light either.
I do have ecutalk the the consult cable and checked for errors and nothing logged.

I look forward to any suggestions to try or if anyone knows straight away the problem.

PS the oil isn't watery nor does it smell burnt, its very clean like new still.

mudnut
10th May 2021, 10:38 AM
Have you checked the electrical connectors on the transmission?

stuee123
10th May 2021, 10:47 AM
I checked them all near the fuse box and its was all dry, the rest are sealed around the gearbox yeah?

mudnut
10th May 2021, 11:49 AM
Someone with a GU should be able to direct you to where they are situated. Most Nissan connectors have a rubber seal in them. Is the fluid level OK? Check it when hot.

PureCaboose
10th May 2021, 12:08 PM
I had the happen on my GQ Auto, only had drive in 1-2 and R. Had the box rebuilt, when it was stripped down the rebuilder showed me the damage/wear to the clutch plates. They were just worn out. Turns out, someone previously had placed extra plates in there as well...

jff45
11th May 2021, 09:17 AM
If you have Ecutalk you should be able to run OBD Scantech software on a laptop to show any trans malfunctions on the electrical side of things.
That said, any electrical issues should show as flashes of the A/T mode switch Power light beside the selector when you turn the ignition on.

Here’s what the OBD Scantech screen looks like..

Hodge
11th May 2021, 09:31 AM
Do you have full power / revs in the 1st/2nd gear?
I'm just thinking out loud here but what are the odds of the car (engine) being in limp mode? I don't know what does a zd30/auto do in limp mode? Does it limit gearing perhaps?
I remember my ZD30 not throwing up ANY codes or errors, yet being in limp mode, and it wasn't the only time i've seen it. So might not be Auto related...
Yeah, just brainstorming here mate. Good luck.

stuee123
11th May 2021, 10:18 AM
thanks for the responses. Ill try that scan software.
Hodge- i have full revs, i thought the same too but im sure when the water temp switch died it limited the revs too.

stuee123
11th May 2021, 10:20 AM
Where can i get the pc software from as thats what im using the usb consult cable.
Cheers

jff45
11th May 2021, 11:49 AM
I haven’t used it in years since I switched to diesel but I think it was on the CD that came with my Ecutalk