PDA

View Full Version : front wheel wobble

jman69
6th May 2021, 04:15 PM
Hi there, just wondering, if i take out the shim from the top swivle bearings only and not the bottom ones would that be ok? or do i need to take out top and bottom shims? I don't want to go from to loose to too tight, baby steps?

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2021, 06:18 PM
one at a time should be fine mate

jman69
7th May 2021, 06:06 PM
one at a time should be fine mate

Ok, thanks Mudrunner. Thatt was what i was hoping to hear.

sussgq
7th May 2021, 07:05 PM
it’s not a good solution.

if you don’t have the same shims top and bottom, it will cause the axle to not be centred in the end of the diff housing which will contribute to premature axle oil seal failure. there’s factory preload settings for a reason

jman69
7th May 2021, 07:20 PM
I see what you're saying, that makes sense.

jman69
12th June 2021, 03:10 PM
ok, so today i removed the shims from all swivle bearings. There was one shim at each bearing, now there are none. Went for a test drive and found that the wobble was completely gone. Normally it comes at about 90 kph but today,nothing! Once again i'm a happy little patrol driver.:driving2:

sussgq
19th June 2021, 10:25 PM
ok, so today i removed the shims from all swivle bearings. There was one shim at each bearing, now there are none. Went for a test drive and found that the wobble was completely gone. Normally it comes at about 90 kph but today,nothing! Once again i'm a happy little patrol driver.:driving2:

keep in mind that once the wobble begins it typically indicated rooted kingpin bearings. taking shims out will fix it but not for long, it stops it because it increases bearing preload immensely.

jman69
20th June 2021, 04:37 PM
Yes , i'm all too aware of that. But she'll be ok for a while though. I've put the shims in a safe place for when i eventually change the swivle bearings.