PDA

View Full Version : fully welded radiator recommendations?

pollenface
28th April 2021, 11:00 AM
I admit, I'm not a huge fan of plastic top/bottom tanks on vehicle radiators.

On previous vehicles they've always ruptured and stopped me in my tracks, so I'm interested in a peace of mind option. I've had a quick squiz on ebay but wouldn't know if what I'm looking at is decent quality or not.

mudski
28th April 2021, 02:05 PM
I'd be steering clear of any eBay welded radiators personally. you won't know what your getting quality wise.

pollenface
28th April 2021, 05:39 PM
yeah my thoughts also

jff45
29th April 2021, 07:42 AM
I personally don't subscribe to the notion that everything on eBay is rubbish.
I bought my ally 3 core rad there in 2015 for $245 when I converted to TD42T. It's well made, well tigged and everything fitted exactly. My TB45 shroud fitted perfectly.

I've done nearly 30k kms with it, have absolutely no overheating issues (only has 150kw pump) and I've never added a drop of coolant.

It's done some bumpy beach work and I've towed a 2.7t caravan to Lorella Springs over some good corrugations. The same corrugations that ruptured my original heater core.

My eBay 100 amp alternator with vacuum pump and my eBay heavy duty starter motor ( had to buy 12v to replace 24v items) are also both working faultlessly after 6 years.

mudski
29th April 2021, 01:31 PM
I personally don't subscribe to the notion that everything on eBay is rubbish.
I bought my ally 3 core rad there in 2015 for $245 when I converted to TD42T. It's well made, well tigged and everything fitted exactly. My TB45 shroud fitted perfectly.

I've done nearly 30k kms with it, have absolutely no overheating issues (only has 150kw pump) and I've never added a drop of coolant.

It's done some bumpy beach work and I've towed a 2.7t caravan to Lorella Springs over some good corrugations. The same corrugations that ruptured my original heater core.

My eBay 100 amp alternator with vacuum pump and my eBay heavy duty starter motor ( had to buy 12v to replace 24v items) are also both working faultlessly after 6 years.

While I agree, I still wouldn't buy a radiator online, it could get damaged in transit, be cheap chinese sh1t etc. Trying to send something like a radiator back to your place of purchase would be a logistical nightmare. Leccky parts is slightly different. being a smaller item and depending on what brand you buy. I bought an eBay Alternator, lasted two weeks, the seller was local'ish, took it back, the seller refused to warrant it claiming water ingress, go figure, so it became a hood ornament on his car instead. I now have a Bosch alternator, no issues.

mudnut
29th April 2021, 06:14 PM
I was told, last year, that Patrolapart will not send radiators to any customer. Pick up only as they've had too many problems with in transit damage.

jff45
29th April 2021, 06:27 PM
Mine was in a strong cardboard box with polystyrene on all sides. It would have taken some serious mishandling to damage it.

mudski
29th April 2021, 08:08 PM
I was told, last year, that Patrolapart will not send radiators to any customer. Pick up only as they've had too many problems with in transit damage.

Dealing with couriers and Aus Post maybe 40 times a day, I see how they treat parcels first hand. I would not trust any of them at any time.

jff45
29th April 2021, 10:14 PM
I guess I’ve just been lucky. I also bought 3 solar panels from eBay in 3 separate purchases, 200w & 2x100w, and all arrived with no issues.

MB
29th April 2021, 11:37 PM
I admit, I'm not a huge fan of plastic top/bottom tanks on vehicle radiators.

On previous vehicles they've always ruptured and stopped me in my tracks, so I'm interested in a peace of mind option. I've had a quick squiz on ebay but wouldn't know if what I'm looking at is decent quality or not.

G’day PF Mate!
Never underestimate an OEM Nissan placcy radiator Brother, from my personal experiences they are truly excellent but expensive every 2-3 decades [emoji23]
FWIW: I have had custom local brass/copper specialty GU/Chev radiators made before.....huge $$$$$$ ....purely for the reasons of ease of self nuffy soldiering out there in the bush if needed after aluminium customs have failed on welds through Nullabor vibrations.
Placcy OEM gets my Vote [emoji736][emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudski
30th April 2021, 08:12 AM
G’day PF Mate!
Never underestimate an OEM Nissan placcy radiator Brother, from my personal experiences they are truly excellent but expensive every 2-3 decades [emoji23]
FWIW: I have had custom local brass/copper specialty GU/Chev radiators made before.....huge $$$$$$ ....purely for the reasons of ease of self nuffy soldiering out there in the bush if needed after aluminium customs have failed on welds through Nullabor vibrations.

Yep. In my TD i've gone full ally, full copper/brass 3 core jobbies and have gone back to OEM.

threedogs
30th April 2021, 11:48 AM
I brought an eBay radiator, the guys at Outback 4WD had to
have the top and bottom removed floshed and re fitted.
It would of failed other wise.

jff45
30th April 2021, 09:09 PM
So the core and tanks were still good? What would have caused it to fail and in what way?

Cuppa
2nd May 2021, 10:13 AM
G’day PF Mate!

The one in my '06 is still going strong, but I guess that's what they do until they stop doing it! What's a new 'placcy' top one worth?

MB
4th May 2021, 06:24 AM
Around $600ish from Patrolapart IIRC Cuppa Mate!

paulyg
4th May 2021, 07:11 PM
My factory original radiator, top tank split,a couple of days ago, 140km from Longreach, had to make a temporary repair, then drive very carefully to Longreach, still waiting for an other radiator to arrive, the original core still looks new, but the plastic tanks get brittle with age, I don’t now how long they should last, but you could treat them as a service item and replace them at regular intervals.

pollenface
6th May 2021, 12:23 AM
In my last vehicle (mazda b2500) the top tank in the oem radiator gave way at around 300,000kms so I'd naturally be cautious when approaching the big 300 mark.

jff45
6th May 2021, 07:40 AM
When I converted to TD42T in 2015, the TB45E original plastic tank radiator was 14 years old but only 136k kms. I sold it on Gumtree for $100..

A lot of ZD owners had issues with snapping off the small overflow/breather pipe when leaning into the engine bay.

MB
7th May 2021, 10:12 PM
FWIW: I now carry this small 2 part concoction found on Youtubey only a little while ago:

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/05/76.jpg

Have a Youtubey search yourselves at how reactive the two are together with an incredible bond especially on plastics.
Language warning: Aussie’s call the white powdery stuff ‘Bi-Carb Soda’ whereas Yank’s call it ‘Baking Soda’ [emoji23]

pollenface
8th May 2021, 09:13 PM
scientists call it sodium-bicarbonate