PDA

View Full Version : Handheld UHF

jay see
7th April 2021, 04:59 PM
I've always had trouble with my UHF so I'm going to get rid of it and replace it with a handheld. This brings me to a couple of questions.

1. What are the rules using a mic/handheld. Are they the same as using a mobile phone while driving.

2. What do I get brand, watts is 5 watts too much.

3. Nothing over the top, just something that works and charges on 12v.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Truckus
7th April 2021, 05:22 PM
Hi Jay check out this write up for laws on use

https://unsealed4x4.com.au/is-it-illegal-to-use-a-uhf-while-driving/ so you can still get pinged by crook plod, if in their opinion your vehicle was not under full control (once they realize they got the phone thing wrong)

As for 5 W I got a set of https://www.gme.net.au/au/hand-held-radios/tx6160x/ for winch, recovery and spotter work, and the internal mount XRS connect https://www.gme.net.au/au/fixed-mount-radios/xrs-370c4p/ in vehicle. ...and because they came with the truck when I bought it. I find them pretty good in the mountains and excellent in the open and beaches. That said, even the 5W have no where near the range of the internal mount set up.

Now perhaps this will do you..its both in one sort of https://www.gme.net.au/au/hand-held-radios/tx6160/ as you can rest the radio n the charger and use the mic, and remove when portable use needed.

mudnut
7th April 2021, 06:11 PM
I use a Uniden handheld with an extension mic, but have mounted it to the Trans tunnel. Seems to work Ok, Plus it's water proof if I unplug mic and pop the stopper/cap in.

Rossco
7th April 2021, 07:26 PM
I've got a GME TX6160, has been an absolutely great little handheld, has separate mic with speaker in it and waterproof. . .Whats up the the vehicle radio? Might just need new coax and base possibly, vehicle radio will be better for range, never have to worry about charging or have the thing flop around, one of each for best of both worlds maybe? . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MB
7th April 2021, 08:11 PM
We use the mini GME 1Watties down at the work yard and they’re only good for about 1km max range in flat open valley country.
My handheld GME 5Wattie gets approximately 5kms in the same open country but I was always the butt of all jokes using it as a main communication device in our high country with trees and crests in the convoys line of sight.
Now run a 5Wattie GME incab installation and still carry my 5Wattie handheld laughing stock for winch work etc....[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TPC
7th April 2021, 08:26 PM
A handheld will never work as well as a mobile with external antenna.
Having a handheld radio inside the car will shield the antenna and give poor range.

jay see
7th April 2021, 08:34 PM
Currently running a Oricom unit Rossco it keeps losing power. Have to turn the knob a few times to get it to stay on and then it goes off without knowing and I need to repeat. It's already been replaced once.

Cuppa
7th April 2021, 08:56 PM
Hand helds are OK, but the batteries always run out when you need them. I much prefer a built in unit. Always had trouble with the Uniden unit I had. The GME I had before that was old(40 channel) robust & reliable. The Icom unit I have now is the ducks nuts. The cost is higher than many but I was fed up of having an untrusworthy set up. When I bought the Uniden POS I reasoned it wasn't worth spending a lot on something i would never use much. The reality is it's not worth spending anything on something which never does the job it's intended to. On that basis if you decide on hand held, don't buy cheap. The 5w GME handhelds we have are possibly 20 years old now, but are solid & dependable.

jay see
7th April 2021, 09:25 PM
Cheers for the input gents.

Now I'm thinking do I just replace the current unit with a better one?

What's better Uniden or gme in a sub $300 range.

MB
7th April 2021, 09:33 PM
Pretty sure I’ve still got a GME incab decent 5wattie spare in the shed free to you John Mate if you want it?
My GQ’s GME microphone wires got shredded so one of the boys kindly found me a complete unit off Gumtree for peanuts of which I’m using its mic/lead now.
All yours if you want it, just needs the handset obviously [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
7th April 2021, 09:52 PM
My Uniden came with a twin charger, car charger two batteries and a vehicle mounted antenna. No probs with running out of power as you can use it with the 12v connected. I also rotate the batteries every few months to keep them ticking over.

jay see
7th April 2021, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the input gents and for the offer Mark mate, but I think I'll get this

https://www.repco.com.au/en/in-car-technology/uhf-cb-radio/in-vehicle-uhf-radios/uniden-uhf-cb-radio-mini-uh5060/p/A9723630

What do you all think??

I'll mount the unit in the free space along the roof console so that speaker isn't muffled.

Winnie
8th April 2021, 06:32 AM
Uniden are good but GME are better in my opinion. Made in Australia still. I upgraded to GME from my old Uniden UHF and the difference in clarity was incredible!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

mudski
8th April 2021, 01:29 PM
Currently running a Oricom unit Rossco it keeps losing power. Have to turn the knob a few times to get it to stay on and then it goes off without knowing and I need to repeat. It's already been replaced once.

Theres your problem, Oricon.I have a GME "hidden " unit, the only thing you see is the external speaker and hand piece, works a treat

growler2058
8th April 2021, 02:35 PM
Uniden are good but GME are better in my opinion. Made in Australia still. I upgraded to GME from my old Uniden UHF and the difference in clarity was incredible!

What model did you buy mate?

Winnie
8th April 2021, 05:50 PM
What model did you buy mate?The smaller version of the XRS range, can't remember what it is called. I added an external speaker but that was a total waste of time and money, the speaker in the hand piece is insane.

Cuppa
8th April 2021, 06:20 PM
Honestly .... I would never recommend anyone buy a Uniden unit. The sound on the one I had was rubbish, the controls were poorly designed & a fiddle to use. At 2 years old with very very little use (because it was a pain to use & picked up a lot of interference which I believe was an internal problem) the screen died making it unusable. To be honest the screen dying as it did was a blessing in disguise in that it was an easier decision to buy a replacement. With the replacement it was fitted to the same power supply, antenna etc but it just works, nice & clear, & no interference. Pretty conclusive I thought!

jay see
8th April 2021, 06:25 PM
Honestly .... I would never recommend anyone buy a Uniden unit. The sound on the one I had was rubbish, the controls were poorly designed & a fiddle to use. At 2 years old with very very little use (because it was a pain to use & picked up a lot of interference which I believe was an internal problem) the screen died making it unusable. To be honest the screen dying as it did was a blessing in disguise in that it was an easier decision to buy a replacement. With the replacement it was fitted to the same power supply, antenna etc but it just works, nice & clear, & no interference. Pretty conclusive I thought!Oops. Sorry Cuppa

I did buy the one that I put up the link for, it's gotta be better than the Oricom. 5 year warranty so I see how it goes.

Cuppa
8th April 2021, 08:04 PM
Oops. Sorry Cuppa

I did buy the one that I put up the link for, it's gotta be better than the Oricom. 5 year warranty so I see how it goes.

Hope it works out. At least ,as you say, it has the 5year warranty.Thee are folk put there who are happy with their Unidens, mind you there are folk who are happy with Oricoms too. :D