PDA

View Full Version : General questions about GU's

stricky
20th March 2021, 09:44 PM
My son brought his first car today, 2001 GU with a replacement 2004 motor. Drove it about 300kms home and I was wondering about Boost and EGT's. The boost never got above 8, is this normal? On long uphill sections EGT was up around 500c, is this normal? EGT most of the time was 350-450c. The car has a catch Can fitted and did have Dawes Value which the previous owner removed as he thought it lowered the boost even further. He gave me the removed Dawes Value.

Is removing and cleaning the intercooler a good place to start? I believe managing EGTs is an important part of engine life.

Also is there a max upper limit you never want EGTs to exceed?

mudnut
21st March 2021, 12:04 PM
mudski. This is right up your alley.

If the intercooler is the original type (three piece construction) and is oily, then it is probably leaking, which will affect boost.

stricky
21st March 2021, 03:04 PM

If the intercooler is the original type (three piece construction) and is oily, then it is probably leaking, which will affect boost.

Ok, Thanks will check this out

mudski
21st March 2021, 07:20 PM
My son brought his first car today, 2001 GU with a replacement 2004 motor. Drove it about 300kms home and I was wondering about Boost and EGT's. The boost never got above 8, is this normal? On long uphill sections EGT was up around 500c, is this normal? EGT most of the time was 350-450c. The car has a catch Can fitted and did have Dawes Value which the previous owner removed as he thought it lowered the boost even further. He gave me the removed Dawes Value.

Is removing and cleaning the intercooler a good place to start? I believe managing EGTs is an important part of engine life.

Also is there a max upper limit you never want EGTs to exceed?

Yep. Replace the intercooler, It will be leaking, if your only seeing 8psi. Without the dawes the boost should be randomly spiking at over double that. The reason the Dawes was removed because there is a boost leak I would say.
High EGTs is a result of the low boost pressure. With a sealed intake system, dawes fitted and even a needle valve to control the turbo spool up speed, you should see 16psi and having a slightly faster turbo spool up from using a needle valve will see your EGT's drop no doubt.

stricky
22nd March 2021, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I also noticed it has a K&N air filter, I have heard this could cause problems. What sort of problems does it cause and are they bad enough to look at replacing it.

mudski
22nd March 2021, 07:26 AM
If not cleaned and re oiled properly you will have issues. If your concerned, just buy a standard paper filter.

stricky
22nd March 2021, 12:16 PM
Another question, anyone recognise this, I need to know the brand to try and get a replacement LED indicator. Thanks

Edit -Found out this is a Rockarmor and I have located the replacement indicator.

mudski
22nd March 2021, 12:58 PM
Looks like and early ARB bar. Maybe. Or TJM.

wagu89
22nd March 2021, 01:03 PM
Doesnt take much oil from a k and n to contaminate the maf sensor. I found this out the hard way and got advised just run a stock one unless going aftermarket airbox etc there is no point

stricky
22nd March 2021, 04:41 PM
Doesnt take much oil from a k and n to contaminate the maf sensor. I found this out the hard way and got advised just run a stock one unless going aftermarket airbox etc there is no point

By stock one do you mean the filter itself or the whole unit? Not sure if a different filter would work.

stricky
22nd March 2021, 04:47 PM
Can I also ask a question about tyres. He has watched too many Youtube videos about putting on bigger tyres 33" or 35". They seem excessive to me but I was wondering if there are any downsides besides the expense. Currently has 265/75 R16's on it, 33" would be a 285/75-16 and 35" would be 315/75-16 assuming he does not go to R17's or R18's.

mudski
22nd March 2021, 07:35 PM
If the air filter is over oiled you could possibly foul the air flow meter. FYI, I ran a K & N filter in my old ZD with zero issues for three years.

Can I also ask a question about tyres. He has watched too many Youtube videos about putting on bigger tyres 33" or 35". They seem excessive to me but I was wondering if there are any downsides besides the expense. Currently has 265/75 R16's on it, 33" would be a 285/75-16 and 35" would be 315/75-16 assuming he does not go to R17's or R18's.

The bigger the tyre the bigger the footprint you will have on the ground, giving you more grip. No doubts about this.

I had 315's (35 inch) and also 285's(32.5 inch), the 315's were so much better in my opinion, but, they are illegal in Vic. As I had gone through all the rig moral of getting my Patrol fully engineered, I sold them and bought 305's. closest to a true 33inch tyre. Same rolling diameter as the 285 but 2inches wider.

I'd love to go back to a 315. That little bit bigger and they were so much better. But its not worth the hassle of trying to avoid Mr.Plod in my opinion.

stricky
23rd March 2021, 09:59 AM
I have to get my head around tyre sizing. A 265/75 R16 is almost Identical to a 265/65 R18 except the 16" actually has a higher side wall height. Without looking it up I would have assumed the 18" was a bigger tyre.

MB
23rd March 2021, 09:54 PM
Confuses the shiat out of me too Stricky Mate!
Old school wise; 33”x10.5” were ok on 15x7” rims, 35”x12.5” required a 15x8” width upgrade (pre-bead lock days upon us :-)
It’s all gone next level with rubber heights and rimmys but nothing changes the fact of 20psi distance between your rims and rocks.
Will personally never bush safely go beyond a 16” rim on a 33” tyre. (285/75/R16) IIRC comparative [emoji1696][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckus
24th March 2021, 02:32 PM
Yep, I run 315/75/16 LTs Maxxis Razrs on Truckus, on NSW rego on 16 x 8 dynamic steel rims. IN NSW you still need engineering sign off for these as well, as the original model was a 275/65/17 and we are only allowed 7 percent increase without certification.

That said, the footprint is excellent , especially when air down to 15 psi for sand , crawling or rock work, and I run at 42-44 psi for the bitumen for the best wear based on my alignment, with minimal wall roll.

As for comparisons use this handy tool https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Cheers

stricky
24th March 2021, 02:52 PM
Yep, I run 315/75/16 LTs Maxxis Razrs on Truckus, on NSW rego on 16 x 8 dynamic steel rims. IN NSW you still need engineering sign off for these as well, as the original model was a 275/65/17 and we are only allowed 7 percent increase without certification.

That said, the footprint is excellent , especially when air down to 15 psi for sand , crawling or rock work, and I run at 42-44 psi for the bitumen for the best wear based on my alignment, with minimal wall roll.

As for comparisons use this handy tool https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Cheers

Thanks, In Qld we are allowed +50mm. Currently have 265/75 R16 which is 31.6". Can go to 295/75/16 (33.4") legally without changing rim size. Can go 305/70 R17 (33.8") but need new rims. For both then need to deal with speedo calibration.

stricky
24th March 2021, 02:56 PM
Some other things I would like to know -

What is a drop box and what does it do.

What benefit do reduction gears offer?

Does getting a bigger scoop help EGT's?

Any experience with cheaper but TIG welded intercoolers (around $260 on ebay)

Is it worth fitting a kill switch or some type of anti-theft

What EGT should I stay below

Any good small interior mods that makes the Patrol better. Like bigger cup holders.

mudnut
24th March 2021, 03:08 PM
Drop boxes are extensions affixed to the chassis that allow you to get a greater than a 2" lift but retain close to original geometry. A 2" lift is done using taller and or lengthened suspension components and specialized bushes. Unless you are going to turn your Patrol into a weekend warrior, combined with 33" tyres a 2" lift should suffice.

Definitely fit some kind of anti theft device. Some go as far as fitting trackers. It will not stop a pro, but should deter a joy rider.

I am contemplating getting a set of reduction gears, as my gearbox has a very tall first gear compared to the gearbox used by the TB, TD and ZD engines. Again it will be a mod to consider to suit your expected driving style and conditions. For me, a front locker is going to be fitted before shelling out for reduction gears.

Some members have done the mod and should be able to give you more info.

Any extra storage space in the cab would be useful. Some owners fit an overhead console too.

Truckus
25th March 2021, 02:43 PM
Mud has covered off pretty well there, and plus one for the front locker from here as well.

Truckus has the red gear on LR transfer case and with the 5 speed manual on 35s in L1 basically if its idling along, I can walk faster after 50 beers (and that aint fast), throttle control with a manual is rather touchy (but guys with autos love them). but with throttle discipline and flex, and lockers, very handy for crawling over rock steps, just remember with front locker on, steering is less than ideal, so often you need to disengage front locker when needing to change lines, and then reactivate, so an e locker or air locker are the go there.

L2 with red gears is awesome for steep decent control engine breaking as well, as L1 tends to over rev in my set up.

stricky
26th March 2021, 11:38 AM
If going offroad on some tougher tracks but staying within 200km of Brisbane what would you consider to be must have spares? Are there anything that are common failures points for Patrols that can stop you getting home. Are things like spare CV's necessary or can you make do until you get home.

mudnut
26th March 2021, 11:58 AM
One well known failure point is the rear spring towers stretching and cracking at the chassis weld. It may not stop you from getting home, but it is a difficult thing to fix. There are kits available to prevent or repair it. It is common in Patrols used for towing, especially over rough or corrugated tracks.

mudski
26th March 2021, 12:41 PM
Some other things I would like to know -

What is a drop box and what does it do.

when you raise the suspension, the front diff starts to roll on its axis forward. As state by Craig, a drop box is, in a nut shell, another chassis point for the radius arms to bolt into, under where they would normally bolt into. The other way around not using drop boxes are offset radius arm bushes. This will correct the "roll" in the front diff. The drawback of offset bushes? There not an even amount of bush surrounding the centre part of the bush. They will wear out faster.

What benefit do reduction gears offer?

slower, more control low range, better for steep down hill runs where you are constantly on the brakes. Also more controlled and slower uphill climbing.

Does getting a bigger scoop help EGT's?

Yes. More air= better cooling

Any experience with cheaper but TIG welded intercoolers (around $260 on ebay)

Is it worth fitting a kill switch or some type of anti-theft

Thats up to you...

What EGT should I stay below

Depending on motor, mods etc, and conditions you are driving in. the lower the better

Any good small interior mods that makes the Patrol better. Like bigger cup holders.

That list will never end

Enjoy.......

mudski
26th March 2021, 12:43 PM
I have to get my head around tyre sizing. A 265/75 R16 is almost Identical to a 265/65 R18 except the 16" actually has a higher side wall height. Without looking it up I would have assumed the 18" was a bigger tyre.

This is a good website to explain tyre sizes...
https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

Truckus
26th March 2021, 06:30 PM
If going offroad on some tougher tracks but staying within 200km of Brisbane what would you consider to be must have spares? Are there anything that are common failures points for Patrols that can stop you getting home. Are things like spare CV's necessary or can you make do until you get home.

:driving2: WOW..that is a fair radius...and also includes the Glasshouse, and certain Bastard bog holes there, not to mention that bastard Big red (or even his little mate) or Ballbearing track that is uphill, steps but all on marbles, Plus you got the Islands (Frazer and Morton), thats soft stuff at Inskip and DI point and beach tracks as well with powder sand...so what to recommend..OK...4WD Action on Youtube with Shaun and Graham...they go there lots, and sure, its scripted, set up and staged a lot for camera and flogs the gear from their sponsors, but generally it will give you an idea of what you could be getting into, and what breaks can...and generally will happen.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs-vWZu3t2ky3oImX83S_2Q

For myself..(even with a heavily modded rig...now up in the mountains with the engine in pieces:animierte-smil for the time being) My recommend is to take a leaf from my tree...I am captain chicken line, I don't go for bounce up , send it , bonus line heroics, I crawl and let the rig and its torque and suspension flex and traction lock do the work (until I got to send it...LOL) as smart lines and great throttle control will save way more dollars than mad mods do...and leaves a great powerhouse rig in good nick to do the recoveries of the superhero wheelers...and that gets beers! :drunk::thumbup:

As for track ratings and grading, mate weather and season can change these week to week, so you may find this helpful https://tracks.4x4earth.com/ as a guide for what you are safe to pick vs what you are likely to break.

VK2FMIA
31st March 2021, 07:38 AM
what would you consider to be must have spares?.

Only problem I have had with mine in 10 years & 200,000 km`s is the Belt Tensioner. Might pay to carry a spare.

mudski
31st March 2021, 08:57 PM
Only problem I have had with mine in 10 years & 200,000 km`s is the Belt Tensioner. Might pay to carry a spare.

With a ZD. Always carry a spare belt and tensioner, minimum. As if either one goes, you won't be going anywhere if you don't keep a spare. Also a spare air flow meter....

paulyg
1st April 2021, 04:53 PM
If at some stage you want airbags in the rear, consider the Boss or similar airbags, that mount outboard of the spring, it will reduce the load on the spring towers.

stricky
3rd April 2021, 07:09 PM
I have heard that sometimes Patrols can flex so much that the coil springs fall out. Is this true and if so how common is it? Are Retainers and cones needed?

MB
3rd April 2021, 08:02 PM
G’day Stricky Mate!
From factory OEM design I nuffy believe it’s nearly impossible.
Aftermarket springs and longer shock absorbers is definitely possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stricky
13th April 2021, 09:13 AM
Well my son took the Patrol out for it's first offroad test. Besides now being covered in mud some issues have appeared. The Airbag light is now flashing, disconnected the batteries overnight but it is stilll flashing. Is there any reason beside an airbag fault that would cause the light to flash? Also he cannot change gear out of Park without pressing the Shift Lock Release button. He also has very low Boost, I will check intercooler for leaks later today.

Also general question about replacement intercoolers, is there a general way to tell how good they are. I am not talking the high end version like HPD. I am interested in the low to mid price range. They look to appear very similar but there is a considerable difference in price. Some talk about core thickness but I am unsure what this means.

Jamesw64
3rd June 2021, 09:08 PM
Hi so I was thinking of buying a TD42t turbo GU off someone and the engine bay looks like this
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-nissan-patrol-st-gu-manual-4x4/SSE-AD-7205245/
Do Gu patrols come with an engine that looks like this or does it mean that it's engine swapped
cheers

BrazilianY60
12th August 2022, 03:28 AM
Ok, I've been holding myself to not post such a noob question, even found some answers when doing searches through some 10 y.o. forum topics, but since not even those oldies matched my scenario, here it goes...

Where on earth does the GU4 bottle jack extension and handle are supposed to be located?

Side panels on the trunk have only two small doors. One on the left that reveals the bottle jack with no room or indication that anything else goes there. The other one on the right is so small that you can't fit your whole hand in there, so I don't really know what it is used for.

On posts I found here circa 2010 mention that the handle and extension should go clipped under the 2nd row seats. Checked mine and there are no clips nor reminiscent of any. The 2nd row seats have a hard plastic molded bottom with no shape for those parts nor holes for clips that could have been there at some time.

I have checked on Partsouq and it is supposed to have left the factory with a bottle jack, an extension and a handle where the handle does double duty as the wheel nut wrench and a rolled tool bag with some poor quality plyer and stuff. Not that I expect to really find all this stuff hidden there, as they were probably taken or lost, but it still amazes me not finding OEM spots for these stuff on a big car like the GU.

Hodge
12th August 2022, 07:24 AM
Ok, I've been holding myself to not post such a noob question, even found some answers when doing searches through some 10 y.o. forum topics, but since not even those oldies matched my scenario, here it goes...

Where on earth does the GU4 bottle jack extension and handle are supposed to be located?

Side panels on the trunk have only two small doors. One on the left that reveals the bottle jack with no room or indication that anything else goes there. The other one on the right is so small that you can't fit your whole hand in there, so I don't really know what it is used for.

On posts I found here circa 2010 mention that the handle and extension should go clipped under the 2nd row seats. Checked mine and there are no clips nor reminiscent of any. The 2nd row seats have a hard plastic molded bottom with no shape for those parts nor holes for clips that could have been there at some time.

I have checked on Partsouq and it is supposed to have left the factory with a bottle jack, an extension and a handle where the handle does double duty as the wheel nut wrench and a rolled tool bag with some poor quality plyer and stuff. Not that I expect to really find all this stuff hidden there, as they were probably taken or lost, but it still amazes me not finding OEM spots for these stuff on a big car like the GU.

Hi mate. On my 2005 S5, the jack in the rear driver's side compartment. The extensions had holders on the cargo barrier.
I can't find any clips under seats etc ...

jff45
12th August 2022, 08:06 AM
The jack handle and the slotted wheel brace that acts as crank handle for the jack go under the 2nd row seats. The little tool bag (I got rid of mine a while ago) sat in beside the jack.

BrazilianY60
12th August 2022, 09:30 AM
On my 2005 S5, the jack in the rear driver's side compartment.

That part I´m fine, my bottle jack is found there as well. Extension and crank handle/brace is what I am looking for the proper place. BTW, I do have the brace, but it was loose banging around the cargo area, and I want to find its proper place. I don't have the extension, or so I think.

Do you have something on the rear passenger's side compartment? Very narrow door/cover.

BrazilianY60
12th August 2022, 09:33 AM
The jack handle and the slotted wheel brace that acts as crank handle for the jack go under the 2nd row seats.

Yeah, I found quotes stating this on older posts, but there is nothing there.

Here is a picture to illustrate.

BrazilianY60
12th August 2022, 12:41 PM
PS.: 1st time I see a gas strut to lift and hold the 2nd row seat of a car.

Cremulator
12th August 2022, 02:25 PM
You should have some small clips at the base of the seat mount that holds the jack extension.
Here is a photo from the side looking under the seat as I can't tip my seats forward.

BrazilianY60
12th August 2022, 09:24 PM
Here is a photo from the side looking under the seat

You nailed it mate! Thank you so much! And as I have imagined, I don't have the extension. I´ll have to make one myself.

Cremulator
12th August 2022, 09:51 PM
I didn't have one either when I bought my GU III. I picked one up at the wreckers.
Not sure if you have that luxury near you [emoji20]

BrazilianY60
17th August 2022, 12:10 PM
What is this little bracket for? Some sort of tonneau cover to cover the trunk area?

BrazilianY60
20th August 2022, 05:34 AM
Noticed these open wholes the other day, there is something clearly missing from there. Looked for pictures online and found this black plastic (maybe ruber) part on the second picture. What is the purpose of it? It doesn't seem wide enough to be a spacer of some sort between the spare tire and the door...

85787 85788

Cremulator
20th August 2022, 08:12 AM
It's just a plastic hinge cover, to prevent crud getting into the cavity.

Hodge
20th August 2022, 08:12 AM
It's just a cover for the door hinge isn't it? This is how it is on mine. Most GUs are like this I believe.

BrazilianY60
20th August 2022, 09:16 AM
Thank you both. I was under the impression it was like something to prevent the spare from rubbing, but then again, the spare doesn't reach so far. Does it have screws accessible from the inside or it have clipping pins?

I'll have to watch out for someone parting out a GU here on the forum and willing to mail me one of those.