PDA

View Full Version : yet another new car.

rusty_nail
13th March 2021, 10:03 PM
Evening all guys,

if some of you arent aware, i have been through a fair few vehicles since the patrol, needless to say im pretty bloody over cars.

i currently own a 2013 navara d40 titanium, but i reckon there is something serious on its out on it. possibly the injectors or turbo.

before that i had a holden adventra v8 with the intentions of using the motor for my patrol which i owned prior to that.

the injector pump failed on the patrol, after fully rebuilding the motor in 2013 and spending over 14k on the rebuild. this included new turbo, injector pump and head.

i have made a recent decision to bite the bullet and purchase a brand spanking new car, which has warranty.

i have owned my current car for just over 12 months, have clocked up around 70k on it, yes i do a fair amount of driving.

looking at the current cars available on the market that are utes most offer a 3-5 year limited kms warranty, i know the dmax offers a 6 year 150000 warranty but i would honestly chew through the kms on it in a couple of years..

currently im not sold but am actually considering the ssanyong musso purely based on the warranty available on it. took one for a test drive today and have to say it is a very very nice car to drive. they offer a 7 year unlimited kms warranty.

has anyone heard about these cars? i know they were around in the 90s when i was a kid, but disappeared for a while from the aussie market... oh and their cars were ugly as fck.

the model im interested in also ticks ALOT of boxes for me. im looking at the xlv variant, which ontop of being a dual cab has a 1600mm long tub and they are fairly wide so 3 adults on the back seat isnt a squeeze for width or leg room. that really is huge for me.

the price range for them is between 33k and 42k model dependent so i reckon they are a bargain but the warranty is really where my interest lies.

realistically im looking for some sage advice whether or not im crazy considering a smaller manufacturer like ssangyong or should i stick with the more tried and tested brands as i have done so in the past with second hand models and have just constantly been inheriting other peoples problems over and over.

looking for2ward to hearing other peoples thoughts

cheers

rusty.

jack
13th March 2021, 10:20 PM
Hi Nic,
You certainly have had a shit run with cars, that’s for sure.
Never driven one but reviews seem pretty good https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2020-ssangyong-musso-xlv-ultimate-long-term-review
I’ve also seen a few good reviews from happy campers on the caravaners forums.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

rusty_nail
13th March 2021, 10:26 PM
Hi Nic,
You certainly have had a shit run with cars, that’s for sure.
Never driven one but reviews seem pretty good https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2020-ssangyong-musso-xlv-ultimate-long-term-review
I’ve also seen a few good reviews from happy campers on the caravaners forums.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

thanks jack, i hope you and elsie are well mate.

nissannewby
13th March 2021, 11:10 PM
Mazda offer a 5 year unlimited km warranty on their bt50 which is exactly the same car as the dmax just re skinned....

Ssangyong aren't to bad. Seem to get a good rep and seem reasonably reliable. One plus on sticking with the big names is plenty of locations to use you warranty if required. Not sure the ssangyong has quite the same network as the jap guys.

rusty_nail
13th March 2021, 11:22 PM
Mazda offer a 5 year unlimited km warranty on their bt50 which is exactly the same car as the dmax just re skinned....

Ssangyong aren't to bad. Seem to get a good rep and seem reasonably reliable. One plus on sticking with the big names is plenty of locations to use you warranty if required. Not sure the ssangyong has quite the same network as the jap guys.Thanks mate, exactly the things I hadn't considered and needed that extra opinion. The dealer network is fairly small, however they do offer 7 years roadside assistance too and I'm likely to finance with racv which I also have roadside assistance with. between those two I should be able to tow to a dealer.

I take a closer look at the bt50 I thought it was the same as the Ranger or are they copying someone else now lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

nissannewby
13th March 2021, 11:23 PM
Also to add that the dmax drivetrain is basically untouched as it is one of its strong points. It is probably the most reliable one amongst all the newer utes.

nissannewby
13th March 2021, 11:26 PM
Thanks mate, exactly the things I hadn't considered and needed that extra opinion. The dealer network is fairly small, however they do offer 7 years roadside assistance too and I'm likely to finance with racv which I also have roadside assistance with. between those two I should be able to tow to a dealer.

I take a closer look at the bt50 I thought it was the same as the Ranger or are they copying someone else now lol

It was the same as the ranger but the new 2021 bt50 is all dmax now. Just the outside is has a different design.

mudnut
14th March 2021, 09:52 AM
Consider the rim sizes offered, if you intend to go offroad. No good having 20" rims and bugger all rubber when lowering tire pressures.

rusty_nail
14th March 2021, 10:03 AM
Consider the rim sizes offered, if you intend to go offroad. No good having 20" rims and bugger all rubber when lowering tire pressures.Actually meant to ask about changing the tyres, and how that will interact with the tpms. I believe I can fit 16"rim on it though the tpms may be an issue

nissannewby
14th March 2021, 10:33 AM
Most tpms can be moved onto other wheels. Some systems which have the sensors in the valve stems may need the valve hole enlarged to work but is easy enough to do.

jay see
14th March 2021, 01:01 PM
Can't offer any real advice, but I do like the dmax/mux range

Good luck with whatever you go with, I'm sure it will see you well..

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

mudski
15th March 2021, 01:16 PM
jesus mate. Stop thrashing your cars bud. Personally, I would just go straight for the Dmax, the 4JJ1 motor is tried and tested and been in the Dmax since inception, although now its the 4JJ3 same motor pretty much just Euro5 compliant, can't say that for any of the other utes. As Mat said, they are one of the most reliable utes out there.

I have a customer with a Musso, he loves it. Not my choice of vehicle though.

Maxhead
15th March 2021, 02:08 PM
Dmax or BT50 because I’m not biased at all[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
15th March 2021, 03:49 PM
Hope Mazda look after you better than those the ACCC went in to bat for.

Mickhead
15th March 2021, 05:35 PM
Mr Rusty the Ssangyongs were ugly when they came out and they still are! Gotta love the Stavic as much as the Musso 😂😂😂
My only choice for a near new one ( demo base model ) would be a V6 Amarok. But with new cars you cannot have as much fun working on them as an old pootrol. And the warranty is easily voided!

rusty_nail
15th March 2021, 09:11 PM
Mr Rusty the Ssangyongs were ugly when they came out and they still are! Gotta love the Stavic as much as the Musso [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
My only choice for a near new one ( demo base model ) would be a V6 Amarok. But with new cars you cannot have as much fun working on them as an old pootrol. And the warranty is easily voided!Isn't the base model Amarok only 2wd? I honestly need a 4b for backyard maintenance etc. Your other points are noted though

Avo
15th March 2021, 11:05 PM
Have you considered a Y62...smiles for miles....n everytime you put ya foot down a little bit of wee comes out.....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

rusty_nail
16th March 2021, 05:26 AM
Have you considered a Y62...smiles for miles....n everytime you put ya foot down a little bit of wee comes out.....

Sent from my SM-G973F using TapatalkGotta be kidding, where have you been this entire convo? Mate this is EXACTLY the advice I've been looking for. I forgot smiles for miles are what I need haha cheers mate

Hodge
16th March 2021, 06:43 AM
Dmax any day of the week.
I know it's 150k warranty. But can additional warranty be bought ? If so it may be far more beneficial for you in the long run as the car will go forever . It's a modern Td42 !! [emoji1787]

As for the Ssang . My old neighbour had one.
To my understanding they're real good vehicles , but not being a bit name brand , I think he had issues getting parts ... This was 3-4 years ago.
Not sure how it stands now.

Also one thing to keep in mind. There is a long wait on a lot of big brand utes , and cars in general ...
For instance earliest you could get a hilux or a np300 is June , if your lucky.
Y62 , August, etc.... Any V8 cruiser , January 2022.
Not sure on the Dmax...
But I know as you drive over the Westgate there is around 800 of them parked as they're being unloaded off the carriers at the dock.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

growler2058
16th March 2021, 10:30 AM
Is this still a Patrol forum?:harhar:

10G
16th March 2021, 11:05 AM
Saw last night Mitsubishi are offering a 10 year warranty, not sure how many kms though.

Have you looked at any of the chinese offerings like LDV etc??? Just a thought.

I bought a 2001 AU ute last year, 230,000 kms. Solid as a rock, doesn't need a warranty.

rusty_nail
16th March 2021, 11:33 AM
Is this still a Patrol forum?:harhar:I would buy a patrol in a heart beat if they made a dual cab that didn't have that puss 3l motor mate [emoji35][emoji35]

growler2058
16th March 2021, 02:48 PM
I would buy a patrol in a heart beat if they made a dual cab that didn't have that puss 3l motor mate [emoji35][emoji35]

Be the first to cut down a y62

rusty_nail
16th March 2021, 03:34 PM
Be the first to cut down a y62Haha bloody hell mate I'm not made of money!!

Mickhead
16th March 2021, 04:47 PM
Isn't the base model Amarok only 2wd? I honestly need a 4b for backyard maintenance etc. Your other points are noted though

The base model V6 is a CORE and they come in permanent 4x4 auto or selectable 4x4 in manual as far as I know, take one for a spin at the local dealer, it will put a smile on your face 😀😀😀

NissanGQ4.2
16th March 2021, 04:52 PM
Be the first to cut down a y62

Already been done on a Y62

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/custom-4x4s/custom-nissan-y62-patrol-dual-cab-ute-review

mudski
16th March 2021, 10:22 PM
Already been done on a Y62

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/custom-4x4s/custom-nissan-y62-patrol-dual-cab-ute-review

Dang! I’m in love!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0-TJ-0
16th March 2021, 11:11 PM
I think you should go with what ticks the boxes mate. I don't know anything about any of them so my only advice is don't forget to have a look at re-sale values. What you may gain in a bit longer warranty you may loose when you're looking to up-grade.

Still, 7 years peace of mind is worth a few $ I think.

Avo
16th March 2021, 11:55 PM
Fuck the dual cab......get this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/84.jpg

rusty_nail
17th March 2021, 07:01 AM
Fuck the dual cab......get this

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2021/03/84.jpgIs that your next project mate?

Avo
17th March 2021, 08:16 PM
Is that your next project mate?

Sent from my SM-G965F using TapatalkNah it wide enough already