PDA

View Full Version : In need of help!!

PatrolOwner69
9th March 2021, 06:42 PM
Hey guys have rebuilt my GQ (tb42 EFI) from the ground up and I have put the battery in and nothing happened .power to the starter motor(checked with multimeter) but no power to anything else turned the key and not a single thing happens all fuses have been changed so can’t be a fuse.any help would be very appreciated.
Cheers.

mudnut
9th March 2021, 07:50 PM
Start with the fusible links near the battery. They are wire that is designed to heat up and blow if there is a short circuit. Silly question, did you fit the battery the right way, +ve to +ve and -ve to earth.

PatrolOwner69
9th March 2021, 08:47 PM
Start with the fusible links near the battery. They are wire that is designed to heat up and blow if there is a short circuit. Silly question, did you fit the battery the right way, +ve to +ve and -ve to earth.

Ok will have a look tomorrow,yes battery hooked up correctly and earthed from chassis to body and body to engine

MudRunnerTD
9th March 2021, 08:52 PM
Yes work away from your battery positive. You should find the problem soon enough.

nipagu7
9th March 2021, 08:55 PM
did you charge the battery before you tried to start the car . how long was the battery sitting without being charged . if it had gone flat for a while it might be stuffed , it might test at 12v or higher but have low amp output when cranking . if you haven't already , try another battery that is known to be good.

PatrolOwner69
10th March 2021, 12:40 AM
Yeah brand new battery and has been tested on a td

threedogs
10th March 2021, 01:09 PM
Hi what a dilemma, do one thing at a time
when checking, have you any spare cables
that you may have missed, starter, alternator??
it sounds like youve missed something

PatrolOwner69
10th March 2021, 05:23 PM
I have checked and the fusible link wasn’t connected but when I connected it up it started to smoke

Truckus
10th March 2021, 05:25 PM
Is there power getting to the start solenoid on the starter motor (I am assuming not an air starter motor).

If so try gentle adjustment on the side of the starter casing with this precision device 83009

Truckus
10th March 2021, 05:27 PM
I have checked and the fusible link wasn’t connected but when I connected it up it started to smoke

You dropped that in when I was posting.

OK that means your drawing too much current for the circuit, so likely you got a short or a ground out somewhere on that circuit...or the fuse was not rated for the circuit. What size fuse link did you use.

Have a read here https://www.patrol4x4.com/threads/gq-td42-starter-and-alt-circuit-shorted.100539/

as that may help, evidently the 65 Amp was upgraded to a 75 Amp at some stage. The GQ blokes can offer more accurate info.

mudnut
10th March 2021, 05:40 PM
Being in the sticks, I raid any Patrols I find at a wreckers. One of the first things I look for are fusible links. Unfortunately they are nearly always gone. If you are in Vic, try Patrolapart or Readies 4x4 Bendigo, and Smart Parts Ballarat.

PatrolOwner69
10th March 2021, 05:59 PM
Is the standard fusible link buggered now or does it just blow a fuse somewhere down the line?
Cheers

Truckus
10th March 2021, 06:01 PM
Got any images of what you are looking at so we can all be sure we on the same page?

PatrolOwner69
10th March 2021, 08:02 PM
Got any images of what you are looking at so we can all be sure we on the same page?

Can’t get any at the moment but I can find the exact thing on patrol apart for $23

rusty_nail
10th March 2021, 08:48 PM
Can’t get any at the moment but I can find the exact thing on patrol apart for $23Can you share the link?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PatrolOwner69
10th March 2021, 10:30 PM
Can you share the link?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

https://patrolapart.com.au/product/fusible-link-gq-single-greyblack

Would anybody have any pictures of how their fusible links are setup.can’t seem to find any pictures of battery leads/plugs near battery lead

Truckus
11th March 2021, 04:23 PM
https://patrolapart.com.au/product/fusible-link-gq-single-greyblack

Would anybody have any pictures of how their fusible links are setup.can’t seem to find any pictures of battery leads/plugs near battery lead

Have a squiz at this topic http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?34732-GQ-TB42e-fusible-link-box

I am out for help from there, as I got a GU and even that aint even close to the factory now, but that topic looks on the money.

Another one for the GQ gents!

BillsGU
12th March 2021, 11:20 AM
Without finding why the link blew you are just going to waste your money and blow a new link. Save yourself a lot of head banging and take it to an autoelec. He will find in minutes what will take you days (maybe weeks) to find. It's what he does.

mudnut
12th March 2021, 01:51 PM
Another way is to bridge the gap with a test light and disconnect each circuit until it goes out.

PatrolOwner69
11th April 2021, 03:14 PM
Hi,I made up a simple cable to bypass factory cable and it just blew as suspected and can’t figure out why as can’t find anything plugged into the wrong plug.would there be anything causing this to happen.doesn’t blow fuses(all been replaced so can’t be faulty)

mudnut
11th April 2021, 06:54 PM
I think you have put a screw through a cable or clamped a wire to earth somewhere.

PatrolOwner69
12th April 2021, 01:35 PM
I think you have put a screw through a cable or clamped a wire to earth somewhere.
Will have to dig deeper into the harness.thanks anyway
New to forum and not sure how to post pic of battery lead/fusible links