PDA

View Full Version : power windows,, clean and rebuild switch, handy use of silicon.

Dagwill
5th March 2021, 06:05 PM
Yes passenger windows went down, wont go up.
flip up armrest , remove screw, remove switch, disconnect switch so you can take it to bench or kitchen table.
Use small screwdriver on sides of switch between black and white to ease out from lock bumps.
small part that slides to and fro can now be removed, again by screwdriver easing the sides out that hold it.
BEWARE there are two small springs and ball bearings, dont loose them.
Find spots where carbon has built up on contact points, clean up with fine sandpaper.
I found it VERY difficult to keep springs and balls in correct place as i reassembled.
SO
Take small part of switch that houses springs, using a tiny screwdriver place tiny bit of silicon sealant on end of spring.place the spring home.
Now put a tiny amount of silicon on the end of the spring you can see, carefully place balls on top of springs.let dry for a few hours.
Now the switch can be easily reassembled.

Good luck

rusty_nail
5th March 2021, 06:28 PM
Nice write up mate. I could have used this a few times

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mudski
5th March 2021, 10:04 PM
I used vaseline to keep the spring and the tiny ball in place while assembling the switch. One of my switches was beyond repair so being the tight ass I am I bought a Chinee knock off switch. Installed it, and the switch works in reverse. Lol.

BrazilianY60
20th February 2024, 12:10 PM
I used vaseline to keep the spring and the tiny ball in place while assembling the switch. One of my switches was beyond repair so being the tight ass I am I bought a Chinee knock off switch. Installed it, and the switch works in reverse. Lol.

Do you have links for these knock-offs? Haven't opened them yet but my driver's side ones seem they don't even have springs in them, LOL.

mudski
21st February 2024, 01:23 PM
Do you have links for these knock-offs? Haven't opened them yet but my driver's side ones seem they don't even have springs in them, LOL.

Mate it was just from eBay. That long ago I cannot remember. I could probably alter the wiring in the plug so the window switch is correct but I'm so used to it now I'd get all confused if I made it right.

BrazilianY60
21st February 2024, 11:46 PM
My GQ ones are falling apart. If I can't find a OEM style replacement, I'll end up having to use something locally available but it will require some craftsmanship to create a new door handle to house it.

BillsGU
22nd February 2024, 10:13 AM
These may do the job. At that price they are worth a try.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144356581247?itmmeta=01HQ6XAAN0RWJ4FWTPYJBX8095&hash=item219c529f7f:g:niYAAOSwrUNh06yB&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Fohx8urxaMA%2FhraHnl3wfRKxU7 F3zRjrEnDZLU%2FDZdwwnCwlwYMxECh2YAbxWjQayTuIN3ijqj gF%2FsmGt2Qm969iVx6SFnOFnu3npORBPmHnM7k5Oq7I2OBu3g BxWbgPTFpzGH5LPyZ5eBPjIBYJtPNwf7IrJoyR%2FhZB5SRmNK XbYReM%2BbIo3YmozZbsJB%2F2iaBPfxXFhh%2B%2FGSuX3uxa PkqhyX8Y7U6kVEUjlV9OBr1CFtHF2fhzq%2BDKOU2TgjFw36Pi KIDj%2FEfoOTyNrfv33N3gcQskS1yJw2HuXjRfdrJ%7Ctkp%3A BFBM3qqp3blj

mudski
22nd February 2024, 01:08 PM
My GQ ones are falling apart. If I can't find a OEM style replacement, I'll end up having to use something locally available but it will require some craftsmanship to create a new door handle to house it.

Which ones do you have on this link?

https://patrolapart.com.au/product-search?criteria=power+window+switch

BrazilianY60
22nd February 2024, 11:29 PM
These may do the job. At that price they are worth a try.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144356581247?itmmeta=01HQ6XAAN0RWJ4FWTPYJBX8095&hash=item219c529f7f:g:niYAAOSwrUNh06yB&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4Fohx8urxaMA%2FhraHnl3wfRKxU7 F3zRjrEnDZLU%2FDZdwwnCwlwYMxECh2YAbxWjQayTuIN3ijqj gF%2FsmGt2Qm969iVx6SFnOFnu3npORBPmHnM7k5Oq7I2OBu3g BxWbgPTFpzGH5LPyZ5eBPjIBYJtPNwf7IrJoyR%2FhZB5SRmNK XbYReM%2BbIo3YmozZbsJB%2F2iaBPfxXFhh%2B%2FGSuX3uxa PkqhyX8Y7U6kVEUjlV9OBr1CFtHF2fhzq%2BDKOU2TgjFw36Pi KIDj%2FEfoOTyNrfv33N3gcQskS1yJw2HuXjRfdrJ%7Ctkp%3A BFBM3qqp3blj

I saw these types online but never listed as GQ. You are right, it may be worth buying just one and see if it fits on the GQ slot. Would need to find the connector for this one though.

BrazilianY60
22nd February 2024, 11:40 PM
Which ones do you have on this link?

https://patrolapart.com.au/product-search?criteria=power+window+switch

My GQ is a series 2 and has the switches that you pull up and down like "modern" cars:

My donor/parts car is a series 1 and has the older rocker switches that look like door lock switches. It is not in a good shape either but kind of more refurbishable then the S2 ones. I am a bit against investing time on them because I only have them for the drivers door, and I would end up with two different types on the same car.

mudski
23rd February 2024, 03:51 PM
My GQ is a series 2 and has the switches that you pull up and down like "modern" cars:

My donor/parts car is a series 1 and has the older rocker switches that look like door lock switches. It is not in a good shape either but kind of more refurbishable then the S2 ones. I am a bit against investing time on them because I only have them for the drivers door, and I would end up with two different types on the same car.

Get them from Partsouq. Way cheaper.
There’s another mob in the UAE who are cheaper again but their name evades me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk