PDA

View Full Version : Jumper leads or lithium jumper pack?

10G
28th February 2021, 04:47 PM
Was just about the buy a set of jumper leads, then thought, what about those lithium jumper battery things.
Is one better than the other? Is one more useful than the other?
Would those lithium packs jump start a 3 litre diesel??

Thoughts??

MudRunnerTD
28th February 2021, 05:05 PM
100% a Lithium Jump Pack

I have a NOCO GB70. It is amazing

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210228/be3e0c17fcb2a5bd517c635f2f85ac05.jpg

the evil twin
28th February 2021, 05:41 PM
Lithium Jump Pack for sure.

Would start my 6.5 Chev and have started two 4 pot Diesels at work one after the other.

When charged will last at 100% capacity for months and months

Also useful for charging phones or running fridges (for a short time) that Leads obviously cannot.

Plasnart
28th February 2021, 07:13 PM
Lithium jump pack will jump your 3L into next week. Jumper leads are now extinct.

mudnut
28th February 2021, 07:39 PM
If you go with the lithium pack, be bloody careful about using the accessory power outlets. Mine copped a shorted lead on low voltage socket and it stuffed all of the charging circuit too. There will be bugger all protection. $150-200 down the drain.

Plasnart
28th February 2021, 07:45 PM
If you go with the lithium pack, be bloody careful about using the accessory power outlets. Mine copped a shorted lead on low voltage socket and it stuffed all of the charging circuit too. There will be bugger all protection. $150-200 down the drain.

Yes muddy, I've got vague memories of your issue. Was there a final verdict on what happened? Maybe link to your thread on that issue?

rusty_nail
28th February 2021, 07:46 PM
For what it's worth, I have one, that started a long stroke Diesel motor on a water pump that hadn't been started in a number of years and it had enough grunt to get the thing started and I'm pretty sure the battery it was"jumping" was dead flat. I think that's sold them for me

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
28th February 2021, 07:52 PM
For what it's worth, I have one, that started a long stroke Diesel motor on a water pump that hadn't been started in a number of years and it had enough grunt to get the thing started and I'm pretty sure the battery it was"jumping" was dead flat. I think that's sold them for me

Yeah I used mine to start Roofy's ZD30 which was absolutely Flat. Kicked it into life immediately. Was interesting g, as soon as I disconnected it the car died. Back on and started it again then left it running for a while until the Alternator sorted it out.

Plasnart
28th February 2021, 08:51 PM

I was there that day. First attempt on that pump was with jumper leads. No luck. You suggested your tiny little jump pack. I thought no way. Your tiny jump pack kicked its arse. My eyes fell out. Game over!

rusty_nail
28th February 2021, 09:42 PM
I was there that day. First attempt on that pump was with jumper leads. No luck. You suggested your tiny little jump pack. I thought no way. Your tiny jump pack kicked its arse. My eyes fell out. Game over!I remember that now. Great times mate. Must do it again soon

mudnut
28th February 2021, 10:48 PM
Yes muddy, I've got vague memories of your issue. Was there a final verdict on what happened? Maybe link to your thread on that issue?

It cooked a circuit board which I could not replace.

10G
1st March 2021, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone, that just about seals it for me.

What capacity would you suggest for the ZD30 and the 2.7 litre petrol I have in the Hiace?

10G
1st March 2021, 08:48 AM

G'day Craig. Do you mean it stuffed the charger or the thing plugged into it?

mudnut
1st March 2021, 09:34 AM
The lithium pack control circuit board.

MudRunnerTD
1st March 2021, 03:27 PM
Thanks everyone, that just about seals it for me.

What capacity would you suggest for the ZD30 and the 2.7 litre petrol I have in the Hiace?

I had a flat battery in my Hyundai when my son went ans sat in thr car one day while his sister had a swimming lesson. He decided he should use the heated seats.....

Needless to say when I got to the car the central locking would not even work....

RACV came out with a Jump pack and from that moment I was hooked. Soooo easy and soooo small.

I have a Noco battery charger which is a beast and I rate it. So looking at the Noco brand the GB70 was a great choice.

I carry it in the back of the car permanently hooked up to a 12v plug in the back so is always charged. I am the guy the pulls over when I see someone trying to jump start at the supermarket or station. No hesitation.

When I pulled it out at Roofys to start his Patrol it had been sitting unstarted for a long time after his passing. The battery was cactus and fully discharged. I was anxious about whether it would go but fair dinkum mate the GB70 is a weapon. It gets a 5☆ star review from me. Worth every cent. Its a big market to be fare. Noco kit is at top of the market and is fit for purpose.

10G
2nd March 2021, 08:49 AM
Thanks Daz, I'm checking them out as I type.

pollenface
5th March 2021, 10:54 PM
I have 3 batteries to keep myself sorted and carry a big set of jumper leads to help others in need.

jff45
6th March 2021, 08:39 AM
I have a Topdon V2000 (2000 amp) that I got from Aliexpress for around $140. Previously had a Powerall 400 amp but it wouldn't start my wife's Kia Sorento (2.2 lt TD) one day so got rid of it.

10G
9th March 2021, 09:09 AM
> I have a Topdon V2000 (2000 amp) that I got from Aliexpress

What's that like???

jff45
10th March 2021, 08:19 AM
I've only used it on my John Deere mower so far but that's hardly a test. Have a look on Youtube to see if there are any vids there.

I do have to say that the mower didn't know what hit it, engine almost jumped off the chassis :)

10G
10th March 2021, 08:50 AM
Thanks John ^^^

threedogs
11th March 2021, 01:10 PM
Havent started the patrol since mid January so when I went to start it zip, zilch ,zero.,[Optima yellow top]
Grabbed the battery charger , then remembered I brought a jumper starter pack years ago for my wife {Lily}
Its 4 years old never been plugged it in ever.
My volt meter on my gauges showed 10,5 volts.
unwrapped the starter pack hooked it up a POW Patrol started instantly.
Heres the best bit only cost me $55, will be buying another for myself.
Now thats a happy ending he he he

10G
11th March 2021, 01:45 PM
That's a bit of luck TD.

threedogs
11th March 2021, 02:19 PM
That's a bit of luck TD.

If someone told me years ago that this little package
could start my patrol I would of died laughing ,
The brain tells you, you need a battery eh
go figure

jff45
23rd March 2021, 10:11 AM
Hadn't run the Patrol for a while so not surprised to find the 4 year old battery too low to start it. Connected the Topdon and it started no problem even doing the 6 second glow process first.
Must say it didn't crank over like a fully charged battery, which is pretty much instant start usually, but maybe turned over twice before firing.

Still beats having to connect a 2nd battery which is in the rear in my case.

jff45
10th April 2021, 07:30 AM
I bought a Noco GB70 2000 amp from Amazon last night for $235. Ebay still have them at $350-$380.

I was looking for a 2nd jump starter to leave in the wife's car and was browsing for another cheaper Topdon V2000 but I much prefer the Noco at that price.

Cuppa
10th April 2021, 11:48 AM
Everyone seems to like these little Lithium jumper packs. Me I have never had any exposure to them.
To my way of thinking they are just something more to carry that I can do without in a touring rig.
Most touring rigs will have aux battery(ies) already. It's not hard to fit a means of paralleling Aux & crank batteries so that the car can be started via the push or turn of a switch should a jump start ever be needed.

nipagu7
10th April 2021, 02:54 PM
auxillary deep cycle batteries don't really like being used as a cranker , it can shorten their life . the lithuium starter packs i think are great as many can also be useful for other things . some have torches , and USB and other connections so they can charge phones and cameras . i think someone should build in cardiac defibulators into them .

jff45
10th April 2021, 06:12 PM
Apart from having an AGM battery in the rear which, as mentioned, is not ideal as a cranker, it’s not easily accessible so the lithium jump starter is a better option.
I no longer carry jumper leads which weigh about the same anyway.

On a lighter note, I’ve found that as I get older I don’t really need a practical reason to buy something I like..

Cuppa
11th April 2021, 08:06 AM
auxillary deep cycle batteries don't really like being used as a cranker , it can shorten their life . the lithuium starter packs i think are great as many can also be useful for other things . some have torches , and USB and other connections so they can charge phones and cameras . i think someone should build in cardiac defibulators into them .

As a regular use for AGM batteries I would agree with you, but if anyone needs regular jump starting they have bigger problems to contend with. For the rare occasion my AGM’s are asked to provide extra load to my crank battery (for starting or for extended winching) they have coped just fine. They are now into their 9th year of use which suggests that an occasional jump start shortening their life is a bit of a myth....... and they also charge cameras, torches,computers, Makita 18v batteries, as well as running a fridge, a freezer, lights, water pumps, etc etc.

It’s about convenience as much as anything, no jumper leads needed, can charge all batteries from a single charger or from solar. Reassuring when travelling in remote areas.

jff45
15th April 2021, 06:17 PM
Here’s a comparison shot of my 2 jump starters. The Noco is bigger and heavier with much better sized cables. They’re both rated at 2000 amps but it’s clear the Noco is the superior product.

The Noco has the old micro USB charging port while the Topdon has USB-C.
The Topdon does Qi phone/AirPods/etc wireless charging in addition to the USB outlets.

I told my son they were on Amazon for $235 but when he looked it up they were back to $379..

I’ve put the Topdon in my wife’s Kia Sorento and removed the jumper cables.

Brissieboy
16th April 2021, 09:44 AM
Reading the NOCO manual, it says to connect the positive lead first, then the negative (other way round for positive earth systems) and disconnect in the reverse sequence.
I spent most of my working life in the electronics field and this does not make any logical sense to me. The usual practice it to always connect the ground connection first regardless of polarity. In any case, these units are totally insulated so it seems to me that it makes no difference which order the connections are made.
Any idea why they might specify this particular sequence?

10G
16th April 2021, 10:07 AM
Goes against what I always do as well. Maybe something to do with charge flowing from positive to negative?? But then you'd think you'd hook up negative first.

Brissieboy
17th April 2021, 10:58 AM
Goes against what I always do as well. Maybe something to do with charge flowing from positive to negative?? But then you'd think you'd hook up negative first.

Nothing can flow until there is a circuit, and a circuit does not care which connection is first or last. The only thing that I can think of is for possible static discharge, but that seems extremely unlikely and would definitely best be done with the ground connection - and they always want the active/power side first?????
The unit needs to be turned off when making the connection to the battery so it would have some electronics monitoring the leads for its connection validation. Maybe something there? But again, nothing can happen until there is circuit - it cannot sense anything with just a single connection.

jff45
17th April 2021, 12:19 PM
There are a few YT vids that show the safety features. It lights up if you have the wrong polarity. It’s pretty much idiot proof.

I don’t know why they state the order of connection when there’s no harm done either way.